Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
medjuck

Charlie Parker: Communion?

6 posts in this topic

I was listening to  "Cecil Payne Performing Charlie Parker"  from the Charlie Parker Records box set   which consists of fairly familiar Parker tunes except one called "Communion"  which is credited to C.Parker.  It sounded  like post bop or hard bop to me so I thought maybe it was from Bird's last couple of years.  But checking the very reliable P. Losin  Bird discography I could find no such composition amongst Bird's extant live or studio recordings.  Anyone here know anything about this song? 

BTW  The record is really good. I thinking  I've been taking Clark Terry   too much for granted:  he was just always there for most of my jazz listening life. 

And 2nd BTW: in the Losin discography I noticed that there's only one live recording of Bird playing The Hymn. 

It's not a Bird tune:

R-4666947-1541951240-7566.jpeg.jpg

R-4666947-1541951242-3858.jpeg.jpg

Ok, who is/was Calvin Williams, an how does he show up as co-composer w/Cecil Payne on GEMA, but not on the original record?

GEMA is basically the German equivalenmt of ASCAP or BMI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEMA_(German_organization)

Here's what BMI has:http://repertoire.bmi.com/ListView.aspx?torow=25&fromrow=1&page=1

COMMUNION
BMI Work # 236032
Total Controlled by BMI: 75%
SONGWRITER/COMPOSER CURRENT AFFILIATION CAE/IPI #
spacer.gifPAYNE CECIL BMI 40740218
spacer.gifWILLIAMS CALVIN NA 0
PUBLISHERS CURRENT AFFILIATION CAE/IPI #
spacer.gifCHARLIE PARKER MUSIC CO BMI 200606429
spacer.gifDREAM CITY MUSIC BMI 37018895

Going further down this rabbit hole leads me do suspect that Calvin Williams got added on at some later day as part of some Aubrey Mayhew mayhem. Information to the contrary would be great!

They were obviously thinking of "Confirmation".