Dick Hyman Interview and Upcoming Shows at Dizzy's

Ken Dryden

I interviewed Dick Hyman for a Hot House article today and will also likely air a broadcast or two focusing on his long career. At 92 years young, the NEA Jazz Master is still going strong, though he isn't performing much outside his Florida home these days.

His new duo CD with Ken Peplowski, Counterpoint (The Music of Lerner & Lowe), is due to be released by Arbors Records next month.

I hope to make at least one, if not both, of the concerts at Dizzy's on October 16.

1 minute ago, Ken Dryden said:

The latter album came up, there were so many releases to possibly cover, I couldn't get to them all and I have a large, though by no means complete, collection of Dick Hyman's recordings. 

My wife interviewed him for NPR in the 1990s and they talked about the Moog record.  We did not know of Moon Gas at that time.   Do you know this album?  It is unbelievable.  

My parents were in the biz and they worked with Dick Hyman in the 1950s and 60s.

Both albums were combined in the Moon Gas compilation issued in 2015, which I own. One of the things I shared with Dick Hyman was an incomplete broadcast of his 1998 set at the Brecon Jazz Festival in Wales with Howard Alden and Michael Moore. He really enjoyed it and has been looking for the full broadcasts, which were done over two nights on the BBC.

1 hour ago, Ken Dryden said:

Both albums were combined in the Moon Gas compilation issued in 2015, which I own. One of the things I shared with Dick Hyman was an incomplete broadcast of his 1998 set at the Brecon Jazz Festival in Wales with Howard Alden and Michael Moore. He really enjoyed it and has been looking for the full broadcasts, which were done over two nights on the BBC.

I have a lot of Moog and electronic records, spanning the spectrum from "serious" to pop cash-ins.  Dick's first (aforementioned) Moog album inhabits a very interesting space someplace between those two extremes.  It is probably my favorite Moog album from that post-Walter/Wendy Carlos period.   "The Moog and Me" is a real fave.

And the beautiful "Evening Thoughts:"

Edited by Teasing the Korean