David Ayers

Classical New Releases

9 posts in this topic

Well, we don't have a classical new releases thread, so I created this to mention the new Shostakovich 4 from the LSO with Gianandrea Noseda. I was there for one of the concerts recorded here. The recording is vivid and visceral, and recalls the stunning concert. The earlier LSO Live recordings were a bit soft-grained to say the least, so I am mentioning this recording to alert anyone who tends to overlook this series that THINGS HAVE CHANGED.

805.jpg

Preorder at HMV Japan with a release date of April 20; available right now on Tidal. The Beethoven Quartet played from the 30's to the 70's, these recordings are from the late 60's and early 70's, and somehow they sound like a single musician playing all the instruments at the same time. For me this is the greatest Beethoven quartet cycle ever recorded, very happy it's finally available!

1 hour ago, bogdan101 said:

805.jpg

Preorder at HMV Japan with a release date of April 20; available right now on Tidal. The Beethoven Quartet played from the 30's to the 70's, these recordings are from the late 60's and early 70's, and somehow they sound like a single musician playing all the instruments at the same time. For me this is the greatest Beethoven quartet cycle ever recorded, very happy it's finally available!

More archival than "new release", but thnx for mentioning it :tup ....

1 hour ago, bogdan101 said:

805.jpg

ludwig van
eethoven
uartets

And the award for bad design goes to ...

BTW, where does one learn of new classical releases? IMO presto and arkiv don't do a very good job of presenting that info.

Edited by Captain Howdy

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

BTW, where does one learn of new classical releases? IMO presto and arkiv don't do a very good job of presenting that info.

I subscribe to BBC Music Magazine; between the ads and reviews, they seem to cover a lot.

4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

ludwig van
eethoven
uartets

And the award for bad design goes to ...

https://www.talkclassical.com/28254-new-releases.html

This thread in the Talk Classical forum stays on top of these things pretty well.

On 05/02/2020 at 5:34 PM, Captain Howdy said:

europadisc.co.uk have monthly listings

On 2/5/2020 at 7:46 AM, bogdan101 said:

805.jpg

For anyone interested in downloads, 7digital offer this set in 24bit (that's a good thing right?) for about 15 bucks!! I normally prefer physical product but for that price have been enjoying it since it was released in early January.

Another very inexpensive download was the Noseda Shostakovich 4 (thanks David, for mentioning it above).

Speaking of download sites I've found out about many new releases there (even if I purchase a cd elsewhere). For example, Chandos offer product from other labels and are seemingly up to date with new releases. Not quite an all-in-one shop, but they do have the labels that I'm particularly interested in such as Alpha, Albany, Glossa, Naxos and so on. No harmonia mundi unfortunately and no majors such as DG (fortunately :P).

https://www.chandos.net/newreleases

I also suscribe/visit the specific label/s that I'm interested in - harmonia mundi, Bridge Records, Eloquence Australia (archival releases only), etc. 

Problem with all these new releases is finding the time to listen!!

A couple that I've enjoyed recently are the Mozart Vol.2 (Faust/Melkinov) on harmonia and Miklos Spanyi - Vol.39 of the C.P.E. Bach solo keyboard music (BIS)

Mozart-vol-2-Faust-Melnikov.jpg  CPE-Bach-39-Miklos-Spanyi.jpg

Edited by Marzz

On 2/15/2020 at 8:50 PM, Marzz said:

For anyone interested in downloads, 7digital offer this set in 24bit (that's a good thing right?) for about 15 bucks!! I normally prefer physical product but for that price have been enjoying it since it was released in early January.

Another very inexpensive download was the Noseda Shostakovich 4 (thanks David, for mentioning it above).

Speaking of download sites I've found out about many new releases there (even if I purchase a cd elsewhere). For example, Chandos offer product from other labels and are seemingly up to date with new releases. Not quite an all-in-one shop, but they do have the labels that I'm particularly interested in such as Alpha, Albany, Glossa, Naxos and so on. No harmonia mundi unfortunately and no majors such as DG (fortunately :P).

https://www.chandos.net/newreleases

I also suscribe/visit the specific label/s that I'm interested in - harmonia mundi, Bridge Records, Eloquence Australia (archival releases only), etc. 

Problem with all these new releases is finding the time to listen!!

A couple that I've enjoyed recently are the Mozart Vol.2 (Faust/Melkinov) on harmonia and Miklos Spanyi - Vol.39 of the C.P.E. Bach solo keyboard music (BIS)

Mozart-vol-2-Faust-Melnikov.jpg  CPE-Bach-39-Miklos-Spanyi.jpg

Great, thank you!!!