gvopedz

Violinist stops performance to ask patron to stop recording

38 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

First -- bootleg or pirate tapings of classical concerts and opera performances abound and readily make their way onto commercial recordings or videos that are then sold for good money. You must not hang around websites like Berkshire Record Outlet, where such recordings can be found in abundance; they're on Amazon and similar sites too.

No I don't hang around BRO; their site is too 1997 for my taste -- or was; is the update a big improvement? I see they still don't show covers. I confess it's news to me that people are selling bootlegged classical music. 

Second -- you are aware that Mutter is a commercial recording artist whose recording of, say, the Beethoven Violin Concerto will sell so many units, for which she probably will be paid so much per unit sold; she also might be paid a sum up front/in advance, but that sum would be dependent on the label's expectation of how many units she will sell down the road. Obviously a recording made by an audience member of her playing that same work that then makes its way onto a sold in broad daylight bootleg release will cut into the number of units of Mutter's legitimate recording of that work that are sold, and, one way or another, this will reduce the amount of compensation she has received or will receive for her work. This by you is OK?

We all know that people who buy classical music (especially those who are buying bootlegs) are generally not content with one version of a work, so the fact that a bootleg exists of Mutter playing Beethoven's violin concerto is not going to prevent DG from releasing its own recording. To determine if and to what degree a bootleg release will reduce the amount of compensation an artist receives, I think you have to consider if it diverts money that would otherwise have gone to a legitimate product. If a bootlegger releases a DVD of a performance for which there is no legitimate DVD release and never will be, then Mutter loses nothing. If there is a legitimate DVD release but I would never have purchased it (e.g. because it's too expensive or I don't like the format) but I buy the bootleg release instead, then Mutter loses nothing. 

As for Mutter punishing an entire audience for the actions of one person, it was that person's actions, not Mutter's, that led to a halt in the performance. No clearly forbidden recording by the audience member, no problem.

If I had paid $130 for a ticket and gotten a truncated show because Mutter walked off the stage I think I would be more upset with Mutter than with the nut in the audience. The nut wasn't being paid to perform.

Finally, your assumption that such an audience recording must be "shitty" is mistaken. For one thing, it depends on the quality of the recording device, not its size; for another,  it's quite possible, and frequently done, for two people in cahoots, seated in appropriately separated seats, to record the same performance and then combine the two recordings to yield a perfectly good stereo result.

Good point.

well, according to what I read, Mutter continued the concert after the incident so nobody except for that one person was robbed of their $130, plus: people paid for seeing a diva so what did they expect, plus: I read elsewhere that the person was making a film recording, not just audio, which is something I tend to find distracting as a listener as well, this sea of phones in front of you, all preparing crappy films of the concert... I won't blame anybody for discouraging that type of behavior

That woman with her phone sure had some nerve ...

Amazing that nobody else in the audience (particularly those others up front) callesd her to order in no uncertain terms at once when she started trying to argue with Mutter. Or did she surround herself with like minds in neighboring seats to shroud her off? As an audience member anywhere near her I'd certainly have frowned on this kind of behavior in a concert of CLASSICAL music and in THAT setting.

I'd certainly would have liked to see what would have happened if someone in a neighboring seat would have casually waved his hand on front of the camera eye of her phone - and more than once. :lol: That motion could have been done as quite a natural sign of appreciation towards the stage - "what, there's a camera on? Did I know? Do I care? What's the idea of a camera there anyway?" :g

Edited by Big Beat Steve

4 hours ago, Larry Kart said:

Berkshire Record Outlet

That's where I bought my first album ever.  I must have been between 11-13 years old.  The store was on route 7 in Lee, MA in what I remember to be a barn next to a Motel.  I was overwhelmed by all the choices but ended up with a Hot Tuna album mostly because the artwork was cool.    I had no idea this place is still in business, it's no longer in the original location.

3 hours ago, Big Beat Steve said:

That woman with her phone sure had some nerve ...

Amazing that nobody else in the audience (particularly those others up front) callesd her to order in no uncertain terms at once when she started trying to argue with Mutter. Or did she surround herself with like minds in neighboring seats to shroud her off? As an audience member anywhere near her I'd certainly have frowned on this kind of behavior in a concert of CLASSICAL music and in THAT setting.

I'd certainly would have liked to see what would have happened if someone in a neighboring seat would have casually waved his hand on front of the camera eye of her phone - and more than once. :lol: That motion could have been done as quite a natural sign of appreciation towards the stage - "what, there's a camera on? Did I know? Do I care? What's the idea of a camera there anyway?" :g

I'm sure they frowned upon her, but who wants to confront a crazy person and then have to sit beside her for the rest of the concert? 

6 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

No I don't hang around BRO; their site is too 1997 for my taste -- or was; is the update a big improvement?

You're cutting off your ears to your taste.

And probably saving a lot of money in the process too, but...

Oh yeah, what really happened here?

• Audience member distracted featured performer by conspicuously violating explicit policies of venue
  • Said performer stopped performance and allowed the proper authorities to remove the offender
  • Said performer then resumed performance

What didn't happen:

• Other audience members did not escalate/devolve into a hissy fit of pushing/showing/yelling either pro or con towards the offending audience member
  • Artist did not engage or otherwise "legitimize" the offending audience member
  • Offending audience member did not pull a Don't Taze Me, Bro on the way out

Sounds like the "system" worked as intended and everybody avoided the increasingly typical post-Social Media Revolution Meltdown Bullshits.

Yay!

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

You're cutting off your ears to your taste.

And probably saving a lot of money in the process too, but...

Yeah. IIRC BRO's shipping rates encourage you to buy more to save, but when I want to buy something it's usually a single item, so I end up buying nothing instead. It's just easier to buy from Amazon.

12 hours ago, JSngry said:

Oh yeah, what really happened here?

• Audience member distracted featured performer by conspicuously violating explicit policies of venue
  • Said performer stopped performance and allowed the proper authorities to remove the offender
  • Said performer then resumed performance

What didn't happen:

• Other audience members did not escalate/devolve into a hissy fit of pushing/showing/yelling either pro or con towards the offending audience member
  • Artist did not engage or otherwise "legitimize" the offending audience member
  • Offending audience member did not pull a Don't Taze Me, Bro on the way out

Sounds like the "system" worked as intended and everybody avoided the increasingly typical post-Social Media Revolution Meltdown Bullshits.

Yay!

Yeah, I suppose you're right. It just feels kind of grubby for the artist to get involved. I think the CSO should hire the Hell's Angels to beat malefactors like that with pool cues.

35 minutes ago, T.D. said:

I think the new BRO site is horrific and had given up visiting until I got a message a week or so ago saying that the search engine had been debugged (it was previously bug-ridden and utterly useless). The old site was crappy/bizarre, but I knew how to navigate the search engine, cart and wish lists. The new site still sucks IMO, but the search engine at least now appears functional to some degree.

Yes, the new site pretty much still sucks: I've cut way down on my BRO purchases (almost to zero) out of sheer frustration.

11 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I think the CSO should hire the Hell's Angels to beat malefactors like that with pool cues.

Fuck the Hell's Angels, hire Valkyries.

Cesare_Viazzi_%281857-1943%29_La_cavalca

This quote from the article expresses the problem with society today, an attitude that can be summed up as “I can do anything I want.” Really sad. 

One dissenter argued on Twitter that “people who wholly submit to and enforce outdated/archaic concert rituals that require insane amounts of cultural capital to begin with are going to be completely irrelevant in about 15 years’ time.”

Edited by Brad

7 hours ago, Brad said:

This quote from the article expresses the problem with society today, an attitude that can be summed up as “I can do anything I want.” Really sad. 

One dissenter argued on Twitter that “people who wholly submit to and enforce outdated/archaic concert rituals that require insane amounts of cultural capital to begin with are going to be completely irrelevant in about 15 years’ time.”

The same person writes "my work is rooted in queer activism and quietly uprooting the status quo". Of course it is. SJWs everywhere you step.

I think it´s okay that she stopped her performance. Mingus would have done the same, he also stopped when the conversation became too loud, he even put a mike in front of a couple that spoke too loudly, all those stories. So why not, from Mingus……..to Mutter.