Playing Favorites: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the "concept" on that record worked really well, made it a unique, and uniquely effective program/presentation.

I could also advocate for The Legendary Profile, with it's Tim Hardin cover and Rhodes-ian moments, but I don't think it holds together so well as a unified program. Damn good record, though. That's where Blues On Bach excels.

I like The Legendary Profile as well.

But if I were to pick any single MJQ recording as a favorite -- from any period -- it would likely be The Complete Last Concert.

In interviews, John Lewis has said that the group never played better than they did that night.  

I suppose I agree with him.

Just now, JSngry said:

I dunno man, "never" is a pretty big word. :g

Yeah.  I guess I should never say never. ;) 

What a remarkably consistent unit the MJQ was.  They made excellent records from the beginning to the end. 

The Milt Jackson-John Lewis hook-up is one of the partnerships in jazz, I think.  A collaboration that made both of them better.  Right up there with Bird & Diz, Duke & Strayhorn, Mingus & Dannie, et al.

16 hours ago, HutchFan said:

Yeah.  I guess I should never say never. ;) 

What a remarkably consistent unit the MJQ was.  They made excellent records from the beginning to the end. 

The Milt Jackson-John Lewis hook-up is one of the partnerships in jazz, I think.  A collaboration that made both of them better.  Right up there with Bird & Diz, Duke & Strayhorn, Mingus & Dannie, et al.

I very much like the recordings of the MJQ throughout their entire career.

However, my many favorite recordings by Milt Jackson are when he was playing apart from the MJQ.

1 hour ago, Peter Friedman said:

I very much like the recordings of the MJQ throughout their entire career.

However, my many favorite recordings by Milt Jackson are when he was playing apart from the MJQ.

Oh that's interesting.  I love Bags, but my reaction is just the opposite.  I think he's at his best when he's with John Lewis.  ;) 

Of course, there are some exceptions like Plenty, Plenty Soul, the Savoy sides with Lucky Thompson, the Prestige sessions with Miles, etc.

But if I had to pick one or the other -- Jackson with John Lewis or Jackson without John Lewis -- it would certainly be the former. 

17 hours ago, JSngry said:

I'm still working on Plastic Dreams, to be honest. Not sure I'm gonna get there.

Oh yeah. That LP may be "the exception that proves the rule"! 

Then again, it WAS the 1970s ...  :P 

Edited by HutchFan

4 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Sunflower is one of the great jazz records of all time.

I have Sunflower, and I've listened to it many times.  I dig it.  And I dig that you dig it.  ... But it's not one of my faves.

Glad that you brought that up though, because I wrestled with NOT including a Milt Jackson-as-a-leader record in my survey.  I listened carefully to all the CTI and Pablo stuff.  Some I was familiar with; some I hadn't heard before. 

It was after that exploration that I came to the realization that I like Bags best as a co-leader with the MJQ.  

I think that Sunflower and Salt Song are the apex of the whole CTI thing, the two records where intent and content mesh perfectly, each in the service of the other.

I like a lot of CTI, actually, but if I'm honest, there's enough honorable reservations to be had on either of the content/intent divide on damn near all of them. Except for those two! If you changed anything about them, they would be different types of records, or even worse, the same type of record but just not as good.

Funny how taste differs. I don't care for almost all CTI recordings. That includes SUNFLOWER. The 3 exceptions that come to mind that I do like are - Jim Hall/ Concerto - Stanley Turrentine / Cherry and Paul Desmond/Pure Desmond.

When it comes to Milt Jackson, for me, he is at his best in a more groovin', loose swinging setting. Especially his many small group sessions on Pablo with Cedar Walton, Monty Alexander and Gene Harris.. Night Mist with Lockjaw is wonderful. Also damn good are the two at the Kosei Nenkin with Teddy Edwards. 

Others I like with Bags are his Savoy recordings with Lucky Thompson, Plenty Plenty Soul on Atlantic, Invitation on Riverside and some others.

When I am in the mood for jazz that often (not always) has a classical music feel to it, the MJQ fits the bill. But for pure swinging, those Pablo's I mentioned above are my favorites.

I recall that Milt Jackson has been quoted as saying that his favorite setting was in groups apart from the MJQ. 

It's Tuesday, and I'm trying to resurrect my weekly recaps.  So here goes:

Weekly Recap - PLAYING FAVORITES: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s

Oliver Nelson – Stolen Moments (East Wind/Inner City, 1975)

Art Farmer – To Duke with Love (East Wind/Inner City, 1975)

Sonny Criss – Saturday Morning (Xanadu/Elemental, 1975)

Oliver Lake – Heavy Spirits (Arista-Freedom/Black Lion, 1975)

Horace Silver – Silver 'n Brass (Blue Note, 1975)

Shirley Scott – One for Me (Strata-East, 1974)

Billy Cobham – Crosswinds (Atlantic, 1974)

I've already mentioned Crosswinds and One for Me.  But whatever.  I'm getting back on track.

To anyone who's never heard it: DO NOT sleep on that Sonny Criss record.

Edited by HutchFan

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

I think that Sunflower and Salt Song are the apex of the whole CTI thing, the two records where intent and content mesh perfectly, each in the service of the other.

I like a lot of CTI, actually, but if I'm honest, there's enough honorable reservations to be had on either of the content/intent divide on damn near all of them. Except for those two! If you changed anything about them, they would be different types of records, or even worse, the same type of record but just not as good.

I agree with you 100% re: Salt Song.  But not the other one.

44 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

I recall that Milt Jackson has been quoted as saying that his favorite setting was in groups apart from the MJQ. 

Yeah, I've read that Jackson resented the "constraints" he felt when playing with the MJQ.  And that's what led to the group disbanding.

Re:  CTI "thing" - The ultimate single cut for me is Hubbard's "First Light", but the rest of the album is weaker.  I love the flow of Benson's "White Rabbit" album as far as the CTI "sound".   "Beyond The Blue Horizon" is spectacular Benson, to me clearly his masterpiece, but exceedingly atypical for the label.

5 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Art Farmer - To Duke With Love  

Sonny Criss - Saturday Morning

These two are both 5 Star recordings in my view.

I agree. ;)

Among the album I posted this week, I'd also rate Heavy Spirits 5 stars.

The rest would be either 4.5 or 4. 

Art Farmer´s "To Duke with Love" might be one of my favourite acoustic Albums of the 70´s. I purchased it shortly after it came out and since Art Farmer was a regular Performing Artist in Vienna, I got it signed by him. That Album, signed by Art Farmer with a dedication for me is really a treasure…..

• 2 weeks later...

Recap for the Last TWO Weeks - PLAYING FAVORITES: Reflections on Jazz in the 1970s 

Mike Westbrook Orchestra – Citadel/Room 315 (RCA/Novus/BGO, 1975)
Clifford Jordan – Night of the Mark VII aka The Highest Mountain (Muse/32 Jazz/Savoy, 1975)
John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette – Gateway (ECM, 1975)
Jimmy Giuffre – River Chant aka The Train & the River (Choice/Candid, 1975)
John Hicks – Hells Bells (Strata-East/Charly/Pure Pleasure, 1980)
Barry Harris – Plays Tadd Dameron (Xanadu/Elemental, 1975)
Dizzy Gillespie y Machito – Afro-Cuban Jazz Moods (Pablo, 1976)

Dave Brubeck & Paul Desmond – 1975: Duets (A&M Horizon/Verve, 1975)
Von Freeman – Have No Fear (Nessa, 1975) and Serenade & Blues (Nessa, 1979)
Mark Murphy – Mark Murphy Sings (Muse, 1975)
Al Cohn – Play It Now (Xanadu, 1975)
Jim Hall – Live! (A&M Horizon/Verve, 1975)
Enrico Rava – The Pilgrim and the Stars (ECM, 1975)
Stone Alliance – Stone Alliance (PM, 1976)

1975 was a magnificent year for jazz, IMO. 

Only one other year in my survey is represented with more selections.  

Edited by HutchFan