Blindfold Test 188 - link and discussion

webbcity

Hi all, 

I am the proud presenter of BFT188, with thanks to Thom Keith who brought me back into the loop here. Have really enjoyed the last few BFTs. I understand it's been a struggle to keep this going and I applaud all of you for keeping the tradition alive! 

Anyway, nobody's paying me to talk... I'm here to share music. So let's do it. Hope you find something you enjoy. I suspect there are a few tracks that some of you will get easily, and others that maybe nobody will get. I hope it's a fun listen though, it was certainly fun to put together. 

To listen, see http://thomkeith.net/index.php/blindfold-tests/ and select BFT188. 

Enjoy! 

Well, you threw two right in my wheelhouse!  #1 is "Holy Waters" from Norman Connors' 'Love From The Sun' with Dee Dee Bridgewater, and #6 is "Jihad" from Doug and Jean Carn's "Revelation".  Great performance, but I can see how Jean might not have been too happy singing those lyrics, and she split soon after.  Her next stop was Philly International Records with Gamble & Huff, quite a change in direction (though she still sounded great on those underrated PIR albums).  Lots of other fascinating sounds on this BFT, which I look forward to exploring in more detail.  The pianist in #7 sounds like he spent a lot of time listening to the early Cecil Taylor albums, and the group in #13 sounds like they spent a lot of time listening to the first few Mahavishnu Orchestra albums.  Looking forward to spending time with this BFT and to the ultimate reveal.  I like the organ in #14.  I hope others here are willing to let your BFT stretch their ears.

Thanks for the early feedback! I knew you would get those two! :lol: Well done! :tup

In fact here's an old post that will illustrate where I first heard "Holy Waters" and will also indicate at least one other person who will ID this one correctly. :)  ... 

I've checked out a little bit of Jean Carn from that Philly Intl era and dug it.

Edited by webbcity

R-728635-1203664524.jpeg.jpg

R-728635-1203664587.jpeg.jpg

After reading Felser's two hits, I've identified what I could more or less immediately recognize, but I like everything on here except #13.

Ok, listening to #13 again, I suppose I can like it if and when the time comes when I would really want to. That time is not now, but never say never, right?

It just sounds  little late in the game, if you know what i mean?

Damn man, you are good! You got at least one that I thought nobody would get. 

I know a lot of people won't like #13, and to them I respectfully say: your loss! ;):lol:

On 11/1/2019 at 0:50 PM, BillF said:

Track 9 is Coltrane's composition "Central Park West".

Correct! 

1 hour ago, webbcity said:

Nope, not Ponty, but that reminds me I need to pick up a copy of Enigmatic Ocean. :tup

Here's the best way to do that.  I agree that one is a cut above his others from that era for the writing and for great Daryl Stuermer work.

Jean-Luc-Ponty-Original-Album-Series-UK-IMPORT-CD-NEW

7 hours ago, felser said:

Here's the best way to do that.  I agree that one is a cut above his others from that era for the writing and for great Daryl Stuermer work.

Jean-Luc-Ponty-Original-Album-Series-UK-IMPORT-CD-NEW

From that 5 CD set, I always liked Aurora, the second album from the left, the best. All of these albums are strong if you like Ponty's work.

I actually haven't heard a lot of Jean-Luc Ponty, which I'm kinda surprised at myself because I do enjoy a bit of 70s fusion, but the reason for that album in particular is just because I happened to hear a few cuts and really dug it, AND because it has Ralphe Armstrong on bass, who sounded killer on it from what I remember. But maybe I'll check out a few of these.

Anyway, to reiterate, for those trying to follow along: there is no Jean-Luc Ponty on this BFT. ;):lol:

6 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Anyway, to reiterate, for those trying to follow along: there is no Jean-Luc Ponty on this BFT. ;):lol:

Ok, but what about some other one? Or is that one of those "off-topic" things I keep hearing about?

But seriously...that #13, the bit that I listened to, has a very "early digital" sound to it. Is that a function of recording date?

14 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

All of these albums are strong if you like Ponty's work.

Agreed, much better than what came after.  He did some fascinating work before these, much more eclectic and much less predictable.  "Sunday Walk", "King Kong", "Open Strings" especially jump out from memory.

15 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ok, but what about some other one? Or is that one of those "off-topic" things I keep hearing about?

But seriously...that #13, the bit that I listened to, has a very "early digital" sound to it. Is that a function of recording date?

It could be partially, though this wouldn't fall under "early digital" for me... I think of early digital as like 1980 and this track is "a bit" later.

41 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Here's your Ponty, if you want it pure and hard:

R-4568859-1572958305-3948.jpeg.jpg

That looks good!

57 minutes ago, webbcity said:

Anyone else? Any more guesses or thoughts? :mellow:

I am not sure why, but in the past year or so there has often been a period of time in the middle of the month in which no one comments on a Blindfold Test. Then the comments pick up again at the end of the month. Don't lose heart!

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

I am not sure why, but in the past year or so there has often been a period of time in the middle of the month in which no one comments on a Blindfold Test. Then the comments pick up again at the end of the month. Don't lose heart!

I remain hopeful! :cool::)

36 minutes ago, JSngry said:

Ok, if not Wilbur Ware, Richard Davis, maybe?

It sounds like one of those old school high-action players. LOVE that sound, just as a sound, if nothing else.

Most DEFINITELY an old school player, but not one of those two. I'm tempted to give another hint but I'll hold off for now... ;)

Well, finally got around to making time (mostly at work).  Surprised how much of this was new to my ears (Alzheimer's?).

Track 1 - 70s mid-size band. Not Dee Dee, but in that vein. Doug Carn? Could almost be Dee Dee, but voice seems a bit lower.

Track 2 - AH-ha! LOVE this! Track 2 from this. Absolutely love this record.

Track 3 - I should have a better idea of who this is. Sounds like a doubler playing tenor. Mwata? Electric bass, that drummer is pinging. Maybe Reggie Nicholson? Rollins influence on the tenor, but can't decide if I like him or not. Love when it goes into the "island" feel about 4:10.

Track 4 - Trying to do this at work... not my best decision (need some tunes to keep me sane and trust this test presenter in that regard). Bopish theme, but not really picking up on the voices. Not sure on the trumpet. That's Mr. Gilmore's tenor voice. Not sure of the others. Busy drums -- not the stuff I'm familiar with from JG.

Track 5 - Thought this was going to be a slam dunk of Kahil but now I don't feel that way at all. Could be, but not the slam dunk I was expecting. Oooh... Not familiar enough with Alex Harding's bass clarinet work, but I'm thinking that's what this is from KE'Z's band with AH. I like it, though.

Track 6 - Closing track from this. Never fully loved this, but always listen to it. This is one of the tracks that speak less to me on this.

Track 7 - Reminds me of a disc I recently played for you, but it's not that. Similar feel, though the drummer is not so unpredictable. Not sure where I am on this. Kind of like the odd, Tristanoish feel of some of the piano lines in the left hand, but not sold on the drummer.

Track 8 - Not sure on this. A bit more inside than I expect from this presenter. Almost a Grady Tate feel to the drums and almost an Oscar Peterson feel to the piano.

Track 09 - Central Park West.  Not sure I’m into the version.  Really can’t place who this is, and clearly, I should know.  Sounds like maybe a hair after the hey day of this pocket of the genre.  Not Carl Grubbs, but someone similar.  I can tell you all the people the pianist isn’t.  Getting kind of an Airto vibe from the percussion.

Track 10 - Dear Lord.  Took me awhile, but pretty sure it’s Marylin Crispell.  Either Cyrille or Paul Motian on drums.  I’m going to feel like an idiot, but that bow sure sounds like Reggie Workman.  Still not sure I’m sold on this version, but I like that it’s their own. (Are you listening, Kenny Garrett!?!??!)

Track 11 - Gotta be Ray Brown.  I need this in my life.

Track 12 - Weird.  I like it.  Don’t dare guess.

Track 13 - I like the composition, but what in the name of hypercompression is with that sound!?!?

Track 14 - I can only assume this is Jack Bruce.