George Shearing Working with Arrangers at Capitol

Teasing the Korean

On many of the Capitol albums featuring the quintet with some sort of orchestra or ensemble, the arrangements are co-credited to Shearing and an arranger.  

Does anyone know how this worked?  Would the arranger take the quintet's existing arrangements, with Shearing's chord substitutions and melodic variations, and create an arrangement around what the quintet was already doing? 

Does anyone know if the orchestras were recorded at the same time as the quintet, or if they were overdubbed later?

• 1 month later...

Shearing and the arranger probably met and he explained his ideas to the respective arranger. Those albums often featured tunes not in the quintet's book. 

In the case of the album with Nat King Cole, Shearing said he would not have recorded "Pick Yourself Up"once more but was convinced by Nat King Cole's approach. So It probably was different from album to album. I don't think the orchestral parts were overdubbed after the quintet had played.

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2020 at 10:10 AM, mikeweil said:

Shearing and the arranger probably met and he explained his ideas to the respective arranger. Those albums often featured tunes not in the quintet's book. 

In the case of the album with Nat King Cole, Shearing said he would not have recorded "Pick Yourself Up"once more but was convinced by Nat King Cole's approach. So It probably was different from album to album. I don't think the orchestral parts were overdubbed after the quintet had played.

Thanks! I missed this when you posted it!