Album of the Week - what do people already have???

Rooster_Ties

Your first choice from what you have already, or what would you would be willing to buy in the next 10 days????  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, that's one of the reasons I haven't picked yet. People are still voting, since I see "Grass Roots" just pulled even with "Jacknife" - with 5 votes each. Maybe I could go with "Grass Roots" - cuz it does have both Lee and Woody, in a "Hill"-ish context.

Keep voting - I still haven't decided 'for sure' yet...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just voted for LIFT EVERY VOICE. I think it's a very interesting album concept and would like to hear other people's thoughts on this one. There was a topic on the 'other' board about this album and the opinions were quite varied, to say the least. Plus, this one had the least votes, so I thought I'd further complicate the decision-making for Rooster. :lol:

Edited by pryan

Rooster Ties,

It's cool that you're choosing your AOtW this way.

It adds another element of fun to the AOtW.

:rsmile:

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thought this "poll/thread" process of picking my AOTW could be fun, by soliciting feedback from the group.

Now "Grass Roots" is in the lead!!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who thought this "poll/thread" process of picking my AOTW could be fun, by soliciting feedback from the group.

Now "Grass Roots" is in the lead!!

When we started the AOtW, I was against using Polls to choose it. I was more concerned that we'd go round and round and never have an answer. I figured we'd end up with a thread where we all were throwing out suggestions. By having a person selected to choose the album, we avoid going in circles and it is fun to have the ability to choose an album you really love.

I have to say that I'm all for mixing polls like this with the choice of the AOtW, but if the person who has been selected to choose the AOtW doesn't want to do it this way, that's cool too.

If I ever get the opportunity to pick, I'll probably do it the same way. I'll narrow down my desired albums and then post a poll.

What's also nice about doing it this way is that we can build up anticipation for the AOtW. I feel like I'm watching a horserace now.

"Grass Roots has passed Jacknife on the outside...."

And the great thing is that who ever is picked to pick the next AOTW, they can pick it by whatever process they want.

• They can consult no one at all, and just pick something.
  • They can open a thread to generate ideas, with whatever parameters they want.
  • They can create a poll with a few titles that they're thinking about.

However they want to do it - they can.

Again, I think the process is simply brilliant!! I pick the next person, and they pick whatever they want, using whatever process they want to pick it (or no process at all). You couldn't make it any simpler than that. :g

Edited by Rooster_Ties

OK, I've decided. No, not which album I'm going to pick.

I've decided that AfricaBrass gets to pick the next "Album of the Week", meaning right after me. He came up with this idea in the first place, and he was the one who graciously didn't make himself the first person to pick an album, and he's never picked one yet (at least not that I can tell).

Put your thinking cap on A.B. - and do us proud!!!!! :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Hard not to notice that a total of 37% of the votes (11 out of 30 total) went for one or the other of the Andrew Hill albums (collectively), and, since I'm pleasantly suprised that despite having two "Hill" choices in this poll, that the vote wasn't at all split for him (meaning both Hill albums came out strong)....

(drum roll please...)

I've chosen Andrew Hill - "Grass Roots" for my album of the week...

Africa Brass - would you start the AOTW thread for this, when you get a chance?? Nothing special about having you do it, but I'm a little confused about whether "Grass Roots" is for this week (meaning the week starting today, 4/27), or if my week starts a week from now (on 5/4)???

When I was nominated in the "Weather Report" AOTW thread, it said I was for the week of May 4th, which is a week from today.

BUT, I see from the title of the "Weather Report" thread, that it (the Weather Report album) is/was supposedly for 4/27-5/3 ----- and it's only 4/27 today. :blink::blink:

I guess the real question is, what is the AOTW for this week - meaning 4/27-5/3???

Am I the only one who's confused??? :wacko::wacko:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Maybe I figured it out. We're doing Lee Morgan "Live at the Lighthouse" for two weeks, and that two weeks just is ending today, so the Weather Report album really is for this week (4/27-5/3)

So, then, Andrew Hill "Grass Roots" is for May 4th-10th.

Maybe that's it, I think...

Sorry for the confusion, Rooster Ties.

We extended the Lee Morgan an extra week due to the confusion over Joe's pick.

You're correct, Joe's pick (Weather Report) starts today.

So your album starts one week from today (Sunday).

I'm really glad you went with Grass Roots. That's the one I wanted. :D

hey, but "Jacknife" won. Not that I care, but you seemed to kind of make a big deal of the voting...."just a few more hours to vote, and then I'll make a decision," ect.

Seems to me a little bit of a disappointment to make a horserace out of the voting and then discard it in the end. I say this with the fact that I actually voted for "Grassroots" in mind...so it's not that I preferred Jacknife.

Maybe the next person who uses a poll system can tell us beforehand how the results will be weighed. :party:

All along I was simply using this thread (and the poll) as a method for feedback to help me choose. (My week, my choice, my vote counts the most!! :g )

( And actually, if Chick Corea's "Complete 'IS' Sessions" had just gotten 5 votes (instead of three), I would have picked it. )

Ideally I would have liked to have set up a poll where people could vote for more than one choice (which I believe the polls on AAJ can actually do, if I'm not mistaken).

The choice was still mine to make, all the time.

Sorry if you got the impression that the cold hard numbers of the poll were the only deciding factor. The poll was just a way for me to guage interest in the titles I was thinking about, and in that respect, it helped me a lot!!

( And if you look up above, I say several times how I'm "leaning towards picking this" and "thinking about picking that", irrespective of the poll numbers. That should have more than clued people into the fact that the poll wasn't everything. )