Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gheorghe

JJ Johnson-Nat Adderly Yokohama 1977

9 posts in this topic

I love that record. The two leaders are playing so beautiful, and there is that combination of old stuff like "Walkin´", "Worksong", "Lament" and some beautiful new stuff, like the most exiting "Jevin", dedicated to JJ.´s son Kevin who is on drums here. 

I know , that acoustic purists may not like the electric keyboards , but Billy Childs really can play them all and has a great virtuosity and imagination. 

It´s interesting that he plays electric piano on the straight ahead tunes, and some acoustic on the solos of more "funky" tunes. 

An interesting aspect is that it´s quite an unusual album for the "Pablo" label. Usually they had more straight ahead material or combinations of bop musicians like Diz with older guys like Roy and so on, like the old JATP, well.....Norman Granz.....

Herunterladen (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought the 2LP vinyl when it came out and it has been a favourite ever since. I recall at the time that it was something of a comeback to jazz for JJ, who had been concentrating on Hollywood studio work for much of the 70s I think. It was welcome to see him back - and on form.

Fantasy also put out that CD of bonus material from the same concert, many years later.

Some good stuff on ‘Pablo Live’ - including the Milt Jackson/Teddy Edwards, Freddie Hubbard at Northsea and the Joe Pass Long Beach.

Edited by sidewinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22.11.2021 at 6:25 PM, sidewinder said:

Bought the 2LP vinyl when it came out and it has been a favourite ever since. I recall at the time that it was something of a comeback to jazz for JJ, who had been concentrating on Hollywood studio work for much of the 70s I think. It was welcome to see him back - and on form.

Fantasy also put out that CD of bonus material from the same concert, many years later.

Some good stuff on ‘Pablo Live’ - including the Milt Jackson/Teddy Edwards, Freddie Hubbard at Northsea and the Joe Pass Long Beach.

Same here, bought it shortly after it came out. 
During those days, when informations were difficult to get, we had that wonderful saturday night radio show "Jazz Shop" hosted by Herwig Wurzer. He was a unique guy and had that kind of "voice".....you know......like there was Symphony Sid´s voice in the night.....we had our Austrian Symphony Sid. And this unique DJ spinned one or two tunes from each new album with some hip talk commentaries, and we went to the record dealer and bought them or if they still didn´t arrive, we ordered them . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gheorghe said:

Same here, bought it shortly after it came out. 
During those days, when informations were difficult to get, we had that wonderful saturday night radio show "Jazz Shop" hosted by Herwig Wurzer. He was a unique guy and had that kind of "voice".....you know......like there was Symphony Sid´s voice in the night.....we had our Austrian Symphony Sid. And this unique DJ spinned one or two tunes from each new album with some hip talk commentaries, and we went to the record dealer and bought them or if they still didn´t arrive, we ordered them . 

Sort of similar - I remember a track being played on Humphrey Lyttelton’s Monday night ‘Best of Jazz’ show. It was ‘Horace’ I think. No crap played on that show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sidewinder said:

Sort of similar - I remember a track being played on Humphrey Lyttelton’s Monday night ‘Best of Jazz’ show. It was ‘Horace’ I think. No crap played on that show.

Oh yes, Same here in Austria. it was to tune "Horace", that was spinned. 
And in our school we had a kid, who started to learn trombone. I made him a tape of the album and he loved that tune and always hummed it. 
And he had carved in his classroom-desk "J.J. Johnson is the best !"
One week later, Kai Winding was in town. The kid was underage, but I was 18 and went to the show and told him about Kai, and about their long time association and how great Kai sounded on the show.
And the next day, this kid had carved under the "J.J Johnson is the best"  "Kai Winding too !" :D (he hadn´t heard before about Kai Winding, but my word.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread reminds me of my favourite JJ moment. At one club I got to sit right in front of JJ and he spent the set operating his slide right above my head !  With great precision, I might add - fortunately I stayed rigid in place.  JJ also signed a club flyer for me but that might have been a different appearance. That was the time he had Renee Rosnes in his group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, sidewinder said:

This thread reminds me of my favourite JJ moment. At one club I got to sit right in front of JJ and he spent the set operating his slide right above my head !  With great precision, I might add - fortunately I stayed rigid in place.  JJ also signed a club flyer for me but that might have been a different appearance. That was the time he had Renee Rosnes in his group. 

Great memories. Yes, once I also sat right in front of a trombone player and had to stay rigid in place. Unfortunatly I never heard JJ in a club. He came to Viena to a bigger place in the early 80´s, I think it was when his great album "Pinaccles" came out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, sidewinder said:

This thread reminds me of my favourite JJ moment. At one club I got to sit right in front of JJ and he spent the set operating his slide right above my head !  With great precision, I might add - fortunately I stayed rigid in place.  JJ also signed a club flyer for me but that might have been a different appearance. That was the time he had Renee Rosnes in his group. 

I saw JJ twice at the Regattabar in Canbridge, MA and back then, me & Rob always got the table at the front so I know all about dodging that slide. :)

Great shows that I'll always remember.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.