BFT #9 - Answers

Alexander

Any other recordings any board member knows about? (Thanks, as always!)

Little Bix research for today.

From Bix´s site:

Some Recordings of In A Mist (in chronological order)

-Bix Beiderbecke. Piano solo. Recorded in New York for OKeh Records on September 9, 1927.

-Red Norvo. Xylophon solo, 1933. Reissued in CD "Dance of the Octopus", HEP (IRE) 1044.

-Frankie Trumbauer. Arranged for orchestra (includes Charlie and Jack Teagarden, Roy Bargy, and Dick McDonough, among others). Recorded in 1934 and released as Brunswick 6997.

-Lilian Crawford. Piano solo. Recorded in 1934 in Richmond, Indiana and released as Champion 16817.

-Manuel Salsamendi. Piano solo. Recorded in 1935 on Argentiniana Odeon.

-Benny Goodman. Arranged for orchestra. In CD "Airplay". Originally a transcription of a 1936 radio broadcast.

-Jess Stacy. Piano solo. Recorded from a Benny Goodman Camel Caravan broadcast of 1938.

-Bunny Berigan and His Men. Recorded in 1938. Reissued in album "Bunny Plays Bix".

-Larry Clinton. Arranged for orchestra. 1938 or 1939. Issued in CD "Larry Clinton and His Orchestra : Live in 1938 and 1939", Jazz Band, 2000.

-Unknown. 1940? Vinyl test pressing, perhaps Decca, never issued. Arrangement for harpsichord (really a Novachord, an early electric keyboard instrument) and wind octet. Information about the test pressing and a streaming file of the music can be found in Norman Field's website. Click here.

-Alix Combelle. Recorded January 10, 1941. For piano and small group of French jazz musicians ("Le Jazz de Paris"), including Django Reinhardt's brother, Joseph. Reissued in CD "1940-1941" Jazz Chronological Classics # 751. 1994. The title of "In A Mist" is given in this recording as "En Souvenir." I thank Jean-Pierre Lion for some of this information.

-Mel Henke. 1947. For piano and vocal group (The Honeydreamers) Vitacoustic U-669 (78 rpm record). (I thank Bill Anthony for providing the information about this version of "In A Mist." To see the label, kindly supplied by Jean-Pierre Lion, click here.)

-Jimmy McPartland. 1949. Arrranged for orchestra. Issued on Unison. Marian McPartland on piano.

-Harry James. 1949. Arranged for big band. Issued on Columbia.

-Ralph Sutton. 1950. Piano solo. Issued on Commodore.

-Jess Stacy. 1950. Piano solo. Issued by Columbia.

-The Les Jowett Seven. 1957. For 7-piece band. In British Esquire LP "A Tribute to Les Jowett". The pianist, who played and wrote the arrrangement, was Terry Whitney. Les Jowett was a Bix-inspired cornet player who died at age 35 in the 1960. (I thank Malcolm Walton for first calling my attention to this recording and for providing information . I also thank Pat Bernham for corrections and additional information. Pat writes, "I was on some of the Les Jowett tracks playing guitar on the date when "In A Mist" was recorded. All this now referenced in the book The Brighton Jazz Line by Keith Samuel and Peter Simpkins, EverGreen Graphics, UK 2002.")

-Red Nichols. 1953. Arranged for orchesta.

-Dill Jones. 1955. Piano solo. First British recording of the number.

-Jimmy McPartland. Arranged for orchestra (Cutty Cutshall, trombone; Bill Stegmeyer, clarinet; Bud Freeman, tenor sax; Romeo Penque, oboe; George Berg, bassoon; Marian McPartland, piano; Sandy Block, bass; George Wettling, drums. Recorded in 1956. Reissued in 1977 in the double LP MCA2-4110, "Shades of Bix, Jimmy McPartland and Boby Hackett".

-Tom Talbert. Arranged for orchestra. Originaly recorded in 1956. In CD "Bix Fats Duke", 1993.

-Sauter-Finegan Orchestra. The arrangement is by Eddie Sauter and heavily features marimba player Joe Venuto. In "Under Analysis LP, RCA Victor LPM-1364. Recorded in 1956.

I thank Daniel Krystkiewicz for providing this information. He writes, " Under Analysis is

an album of arrangements paying tribute to various musicians of the big-band era, and I

suspect the arrangement of In A Mist here was inspired by the 1933 recording by Sauter's old

employer Red Norvo, as well as by Bix himself."

-Les Jowett. 1957. Jowett plays cornet. Terry Whitney plays piano and is the arranger.

-Manny Albam. 1958. With Eddie Costa on piano. Issued by Dot.

-Michel Legrand. Arranged for orchestra. In album "Legrand Jazz", 1958.

-Dick Cathcart. Arranged for orchestra. In album "Bix MCMLIX", 1959.

-The Metropolitan Jazz Octet. Arranged for orchestra. In album "The Legend of Bix", 1959.

-Johnny Guarnieri. 1961. Piano solo. First shown on TV program "Chicago and All That Jazz." Later issued by Sounds great.

-Ralph Sutton. Piano with drums and bass. In album "Ragtime", 1963.

-Clark Terry. Arranged for orchestra. In CD "Happy Horns". Originally released in 1964.

-Armand Hug. Piano solo. 1968. Issued on Dulai.

-Len Bernard. Piano solo. Issued in 1968 or 1969 by Swaggie.

-Ralph Sutton. Piano solo. 1969. In album "Knocked-Out Nocturne."

-Dill Jones. Piano solo. In 1972 Chiaroscuro album "Davenport Blues."

-Jack Crossan. Clavicord solo. In album "Keyboard Kaleidoscope", Westminster Gold WGS-8162, 1972. (I thank Mike Heckman for providing the information about this version of "In A Mist.")

-Freddie Hubbard. Arranged for orchestra. In CD "Sky Dive". Originally recorded in 1972.

-Bucky Pizzarelli. Arranged for guitar quintet. In album "The Bucky Pizzarelli Quintet Plays the Music of Bix Beiderbecke in Arrangements by Bill Challis", 1974. Reissued on CD in 1988, on Audiophile DADCD-238.

-Geoff Bland. 1974. Piano accompanied y Roger Bell's band. Issued on Swaggie.

-Dick Hyman. Piano solo. In double LP Set "Dick Hyman Plays Keyboard Classics of the Nostalgia Years." 1974 Cadence Records CR 2001.

-Swingle Singers. An eight-voice "a cappella group" directed by Ward Swingle. In CBS LP # 80947 "Rags and All That Jazz." From 1975. (I thank Alex Revell for providing this information.)

-Trace. Arranged for orchestra. In album "Birds"' 1975.

-Keith Nichols. Piano solo. Issued by One-Up in 1975.

-Armand Hug. Piano solo. In album "Bix Hug", 1976.

-Ralph Sutton. Piano solo. Isued in 1076 on Dutch Riff label.

-Dave Frishberg. Piano solo. Reissued in CD "Getting Some Fun out of Life". Originally recorded in 1977.

-Kenny Werner. Piano solo. In Finnadar 9019 LP album "Piano Music", 1978.

-Ry Cooder. Arranged for salon-jazz orchestra. In album "Ry Cooder Jazz", 1978.

-Vintage Jazz Band. 1978 Australian grup from Brisbane.

-Eddie Higgins. Piano solo. In album "My Time of Day", 1978. Re-released as CD Solo Art SACD-128 in 1995.

-Charlie Byrd. Guitar duet with Laurindo Almeida. In CD "Charlie Byrd: Jazz Concord Heritage Series", 1980.

-Franco Mazzola. Piano solo. 1981. Isssued on Carosello.

-Bucky Pizzarelli with son John, Jr. In CD "Complete Guitar Duos", 1984.

-Lou Stein. Piano solo. In Audiophile album "Lou Stein, solo", 1984.

-Bob Haggart. Used as introduction and coda in 1986 Jazzology album "Portrait of Bix."

-Saint Louis Stompers. Issued in 1988 in Argentina.

-Morten Gunnar Larsen. Piano solo. In CD "Maple Leaf Rag", 1989.

-Protosynthesis Ensemble. Arranged for several types of guitars, flute. In CD Protosynthesis: Jazz Classics - Classical Jazz, RVA Victor #60460, 1990.

-Cesare Poggi. Piano solo. In CD "Bix, An Interpretation of a Legend", 1991.

-Eddie Daniels with Gary Burton. Arranged for clarinet, vibraphone, piano, bass and drums. In CD "Benny Rides Again", 1992.

-Butch Thompson. Piano solo. In CD "Minnesota [sic] Wonder 88's", 1992.

-Eddie Daniels. Arrangement for clarinet, piano, acoustic bass and drums. In CD GRP9655, 1992.

-Mike Polad. Piano solo. In CD "Piano Deco, Vol. I", 1993.

-Charlie Byrd and the Washington Guitar Quintet. Arrranged for six guitars. In CD "Aquarelle", 1993.

-Ralph Sutton. Piano solo. In CD "Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 30", 1993.

-Randy Sandke and the New York Allstars. Recorded live in Hamburg, June 1993. In Nagel_Meyer CD "One, Two, Three - Jazz Live At The Musikhalle The First Three Concerts (1992-1993).

-Jess Stacy. Piano Solo. In CD "EC-STACY" ASV Living Era 5172, 1995.

-Lincoln Mayorga. Piano solo. In CD "Sophisticated Innocence: American Novelty Piano Solos", 1995.

-Beau Hunks. Arrangement for nine saxophones, two guitars, string bass and drums. In CD "Saxophone Soctette", Basta 3090 892, 1996.

-Robert Smith. Piano solo which faithfully follows the Bill Challis published score. In the New Wolverine Jazz Orchestra CD (their volume 5) "Roll On Mississippi, Roll On", 1997

-Robert Smith. Piano solo. In the New Wolverine Jazz Orchestra CD "The Bix Beiderbecke Legacy", 1998.

-Joseph Smith. Piano solo. In Vol.4 -American Piano-Rhythm CD, Premier # 1028, 1998.

-Duncan Browne. Guitar + ? In VV CD "Duncan Browne (+ Bonus Tracks)", 1998.

-London Symphony Orchestra. In 1998 Aleph CD mostly devoted to Thelonious Monk's compositions.

-Dick Walter. Arranged for large orchestra. In 1998 ASC CD "Secret Moves."

-Dean Cotrill. In VV CD "A Moment With You", 2000.

-Andy Bey. Scat Vocal and Piano accompanied by orchestra. In CD "Tuesdays in Chinatown," NK2 Encoded Music # 4223, 2001.

-Bucky Pizzarelli. For acoustic, seven-string guitar solo. In Arbors Records CD # 19524 "One Morning in May," issued in 2001.

-Geoff Muldaur. Arranged for violin, cornet, trombone, clarinet, alto sax, baritone sax and tuba. In 2003 CD entitled "A Vision of the Music of Bix Beiderbecke, Private Astronomy."

B)

• 10 months later...

13. Phantom of the Bopera - The Fred Hirsch Trio from "Live at the Village Vanguard"

Now we come to the three tracks nobody got. This is from a wonderful 2002 live album on Palmetto. Drew Gress on bass, and Nasheet Waits on drums. Highly recommended. I also recommend Hirsch's most recent disc, "The Fred Hirsch Trio + 2" with the same personnel and Ralph Alessi (trumpet) and Tony Malaby on tenor sax. Great stuff.

Man, I was listening to your blindfold today driving around, and I had to play this track a few times. Wow. I love the stationary feeling that the drummer (now I know it is Nasheet Waits) creates during his solo. He's got a lot going on there, very propulsive. I'm not familiar, at all, with Hersch, and listening to this track makes me think I am missing some great music.

12. I Should Care - Thelonious Monk from "Monk Alone"

I'm surprised that it took so long for people to start getting this one. I thought Monk would be a gimmie.

I included a solo Monk take from Thelonious Himself, and people still missed it! Actually, I didn't remember you including this version! I love this song.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe people are listening to Monk's peculiar way of composing and style of soloing on them, but not close enough to his solo style when improvising on standards, which is similar, but not identical. His oblique chords and percussive accents are not as prominent in the latter.

I was also wondering why so few recognized Monk the soloist ...