Anthony Ortega

mrjazzman

Why didn't Anthony Ortega's career take off like those of his contemporaries like bird and stitt especially later on. His early work sounds really good. Don't care for the avant garde/free aspects of his later work. I've got "A Man And His Horn(s)" and "Earth Dance" (Jazz For Young Moderns) on the way. Any thoughts??????

Edited by mrjazzman

Why didn't Anthony Ortega's career take off like those of his contemporaries like bird and stitt especially later on. His early work sounds really good. Don't care for the avant garde/free aspects of his later work. I've got "A Man And His Horn(s)" and "Earth Dance" (Jazz For Young Moderns) on the way. Any thoughts??????

posted this link before

some time ago that i read it but there's a good chance that in steven isoardi's extensive interview you might well find ortega's view of the answer... i like his later stuff (though all in all i must admit i am not too puzzled he didn't get bigger than bird)

http://content.cdlib.org/xtf/view?docId=hb...=&brand=oac

btw anyone else thought ortega had died when seeing this thread... scary!

and another btw, can anyone confirm that the ortega/dupree bolton pacific jazz session mentioned in the interview is (not) on the new uptown cd?

Why does the career of anyone who is not an absolute god (and even some of those) fail to take off? Always lots of reasons, few of them unique. Ortega probably made more records under his own name than, say, Dave Schildkraut did.