BFT #102 discussion thread

BillF

I've been jumping in late in the month for most of the BFTs lately, so I thought I'd listen and make my comments early this month - and get "credit" for some IDs. I've had the music for awhile, since I did the upload for Bill, but didn't listen until the first of the month.

1. I liked this more every time I heard it. The tenor player has a really nice sound, and his playing is interesting and well-constructed. Good playing from the rest of the quartet, too, especially the drummer. I have no idea who it is – some young-ish gun, I imagine.

2. A very unusual version of “Just Friends.” It sounded to me like it was, at least up to the bass solo, a transcription/orchestration of someone’s improvisation on “Just Friends.” If I’m right, I couldn’t come up with whose solo it is. Without his sound and attack as clues, I thought of Sonny Rollins, just due to the odd phrase construction, but this doesn’t match any version of “Just Friends” by him (or by anyone else, for that matter) that I know. Whatever the basis for this arrangement, it’s very cool, and the piano and bass soloists are excellent. Looking forward to finding out about this.

3. Just beautiful. I recognized Roy Eldridge right away, and almost as quickly realized that I had this on a JATP record. It’s from October, 1957, with three-fourths of the Modern Jazz Quartet as rhythm section. My reissue is called The Coleman Hawkins Set.

4. I’m not sure if this an older or a newer recording, but the playing is a delight. The tenor player has a slight “buzz” to his sound which reminds me of Clifford Jordan, but I don’t really know who anyone is. A slight criticism is that, to my ears, he played all his best stuff in the first half of his solo; the second half was a slight letdown. But, again, a delight.

5. A very unusual, hollow sound from this tenor player, who plays with a lot of soul. It actually sounds a little like Von Freeman to me, but I don’t know of any recordings he made with an ensemble of this size. Whoever it is, it’s very individual and beautiful.

6. It’s all about programming. This is excellent music, but it suffers in contrast to track five. The soloist there was so individual that these musicians seem more anonymous. It’s good, though.

7. Another track I have no clue about. But it’s good. I wouldn’t say that the writing is particularly original, but it’s effective, as are the soloists. The tenor player and the drummer are particularly excellent.

8. I couldn’t remember the name of this, but I knew what CD I had it on, so it was easy to track down. It’s “Elevation” by Red Rodney’s Be-Boppers, recorded for Keynote in 1947. Allen Eager, Serge Chaloff, Al Haig, Chubby Jackson, and Tiny Kahn are also on board. Ironically, Rodney is the weakest soloist here – his playing has a “watch me play bebop” quality, with an overt flat five and a Charlie Parker “Hootie Blues” quote. Of course, he was much better a couple of years later. I loves me some Allen Eager, and everyone else is good, too, although Chaloff’s playing was not as sublime as it later became. Tiny Kahn deserves more recognition.

9. Paul Gonsalves with Nat Adderley and Wynton Kelly, playing “J and B Blues” from Gettin’ Together. It’s funny, when Gonsalves started to blow, I could “see” him, twisting his body as he played, and I identified him first by “sight” – I recognized my mental picture before I could place whose sound it was. He’s someone I’ve come to appreciate more as I’ve gotten older – very creative and highly individual.

10. Again, very nice, but I don’t have any idea who it is. Nice brassy trumpet sound – I’ll probably kick myself when I find out who it is. Speaking of kicking, the drummer does that very nicely here.

11. Some nice mid-50s cool bebop. Once again, I don’t know who anybody is, but it’s all good, and at moments more than that.

12. Is this somebody’s line on “Woody ‘n’ You?” One of the tenor players favors the upper register, and the other likes it down low, but beyond that, I don’t have much to say about this. I think I’m having a little bebop fatigue. Not that there’s anything wrong with this track – maybe that’s the problem. At this point in the BFT, I’d love to here something a little more “wrong.” This is good – just doesn’t grab me in any kind of strong way.

13. Okay, I did a little research on this interesting track. It sure sounded like a Gerry Mulligan arrangement to me, and I thought the tenor soloist was Zoot Sims. That didn’t check out but I think that it’s Mulligan’s arrangement (“Strike Up the Band,” of course) for Eliott Lawrence, recorded in 1955 with Al Cohn on tenor. (One of these years, I’ll finally get those two guys straight!) Nice soloing and nice chart on a kind of corny tune.

14. The combination of the pianist’s eccentric style and and the tinny sound of the piano really took me aback for a minute. Is this some live recording of Chet Baker with Dick Twardzik on piano? In any case, the piano playing verges on the bizarre – not that that’s a bad thing. And it sounds like like Baker to me. In any case, cool ending to a good blindfold test.

Thanks for a good one - nothing I disliked, although, as you can see, some tracks reached me more than others.

I've been jumping in late in the month for most of the BFTs lately, so I thought I'd listen and make my comments early this month - and get "credit" for some IDs. I've had the music for awhile, since I did the upload for Bill, but didn't listen until the first of the month.

Thanks for getting us off to a good start, Jeff, with some sharp identifications and mature judgements.

1. I liked this more every time I heard it. The tenor player has a really nice sound, and his playing is interesting and well-constructed. Good playing from the rest of the quartet, too, especially the drummer. I have no idea who it is – some young-ish gun, I imagine.

Agree with all you say - love this guy's drumming!

2. A very unusual version of “Just Friends.” It sounded to me like it was, at least up to the bass solo, a transcription/orchestration of someone’s improvisation on “Just Friends.” If I’m right, I couldn’t come up with whose solo it is. Without his sound and attack as clues, I thought of Sonny Rollins, just due to the odd phrase construction, but this doesn’t match any version of “Just Friends” by him (or by anyone else, for that matter) that I know. Whatever the basis for this arrangement, it’s very cool, and the piano and bass soloists are excellent. Looking forward to finding out about this.

Yes, I'll have quite a bit to say about this one.

3. Just beautiful. I recognized Roy Eldridge right away, and almost as quickly realized that I had this on a JATP record. It’s from October, 1957, with three-fourths of the Modern Jazz Quartet as rhythm section. My reissue is called The Coleman Hawkins Set.

Exactly! Lovely, isn't it?

4. I’m not sure if this an older or a newer recording, but the playing is a delight. The tenor player has a slight “buzz” to his sound which reminds me of Clifford Jordan, but I don’t really know who anyone is. A slight criticism is that, to my ears, he played all his best stuff in the first half of his solo; the second half was a slight letdown. But, again, a delight.

More later on this one.

5. A very unusual, hollow sound from this tenor player, who plays with a lot of soul. It actually sounds a little like Von Freeman to me, but I don’t know of any recordings he made with an ensemble of this size. Whoever it is, it’s very individual and beautiful.

Glad you liked it, too.

6. It’s all about programming. This is excellent music, but it suffers in contrast to track five. The soloist there was so individual that these musicians seem more anonymous. It’s good, though.

The pianist is probably the biggest name here, though he's not the leader.

7. Another track I have no clue about. But it’s good. I wouldn’t say that the writing is particularly original, but it’s effective, as are the soloists. The tenor player and the drummer are particularly excellent.

OK.

8. I couldn’t remember the name of this, but I knew what CD I had it on, so it was easy to track down. It’s “Elevation” by Red Rodney’s Be-Boppers, recorded for Keynote in 1947. Allen Eager, Serge Chaloff, Al Haig, Chubby Jackson, and Tiny Kahn are also on board. Ironically, Rodney is the weakest soloist here – his playing has a “watch me play bebop” quality, with an overt flat five and a Charlie Parker “Hootie Blues” quote. Of course, he was much better a couple of years later. I loves me some Allen Eager, and everyone else is good, too, although Chaloff’s playing was not as sublime as it later became. Tiny Kahn deserves more recognition.

Perfectly identified.

9. Paul Gonsalves with Nat Adderley and Wynton Kelly, playing “J and B Blues” from Gettin’ Together. It’s funny, when Gonsalves started to blow, I could “see” him, twisting his body as he played, and I identified him first by “sight” – I recognized my mental picture before I could place whose sound it was. He’s someone I’ve come to appreciate more as I’ve gotten older – very creative and highly individual.

Yes, indeed! Shall we leave it someone else to name the superb rhythm team?

10. Again, very nice, but I don’t have any idea who it is. Nice brassy trumpet sound – I’ll probably kick myself when I find out who it is. Speaking of kicking, the drummer does that very nicely here.

Once again, I agree.

11. Some nice mid-50s cool bebop. Once again, I don’t know who anybody is, but it’s all good, and at moments more than that.

Re identification, your first sentence is on the mark.

12. Is this somebody’s line on “Woody ‘n’ You?” One of the tenor players favors the upper register, and the other likes it down low, but beyond that, I don’t have much to say about this. I think I’m having a little bebop fatigue. Not that there’s anything wrong with this track – maybe that’s the problem. At this point in the BFT, I’d love to here something a little more “wrong.” This is good – just doesn’t grab me in any kind of strong way.

The somebody who wrote this "Woody 'n' You" variant is a musician of note who features in a lot of Organissimo record collections. As to "bebop fatigue", that's something only my BFTs are likely to bring. :rolleyes:

13. Okay, I did a little research on this interesting track. It sure sounded like a Gerry Mulligan arrangement to me, and I thought the tenor soloist was Zoot Sims. That didn’t check out but I think that it’s Mulligan’s arrangement (“Strike Up the Band,” of course) for Eliott Lawrence, recorded in 1955 with Al Cohn on tenor. (One of these years, I’ll finally get those two guys straight!) Nice soloing and nice chart on a kind of corny tune.

Perfectly identified. Drummer deserves a mention.

14. The combination of the pianist’s eccentric style and and the tinny sound of the piano really took me aback for a minute. Is this some live recording of Chet Baker with Dick Twardzik on piano? In any case, the piano playing verges on the bizarre – not that that’s a bad thing. And it sounds like like Baker to me. In any case, cool ending to a good blindfold test.

For once you haven't identified accurately, though you're in the right general direction, of course.

Thanks for a good one - nothing I disliked, although, as you can see, some tracks reached me more than others.

Glad you got as much pleasure out of listening to this BFT as I got in putting it together.

Edited by BillF

OK, here's the first two-thirds...

1 - Real nice tenor here, with some of Coltrane's Carolina drawl. Is this Ravi? Whoever it is, I'm impressed. Piano solo ain't bad either. This tune is a contrafact on something, isn't it?

2 – "Just Friends," in an arrangement that sounds like an orchestral expansion of a late Prez solo. Well played. I'm not in the mood for this kind of thing very often, but I'm interested.

3 – The buzz in the tone says it's Roy Eldridge or a VERY close imitator playing "I Can't Get Started." Likely a JATP recording.

4 – Wow, I love that tenor tone. Much like Charlie Rouse's, but I'm not hearing Rouse stock phrases here, and this player's attack is more flexible. Eagerly awaiting an answer on this one, though it's probably right under my nose.

5 – The arranger lets his debt to Dameron show, and I am a sucker for all things Dameronian. It's track 7 here.

6 – Is that the real McCoy Tyner? Is this that album he did with Gary Bartz and Terence Blanchard, that I don't have? It's studio-nice and clean, but not what these players (whoever they are) do best.

7 – OK, this sounds even more like McCoy than 6 did. The pianist has his motor habits. But I can't run this one down among my McCoy big-band records. Maybe it's a curveball and this is from McCoy's recent collaborations with the Charles Tolliver big band? Good stuff whatever it is.

8 – Vaguely familiar. Sort of a second-wave bebop thing, circa 1949-51. Maybe Red Rodney or Conte Candoli. Trumpet solo is the best part. The sign-off of the bari solo is wonderful.

9 – The more I listen, the more I think that's Paul Gonsalves. Likely his Riverside album, which I don't have.

10 – Late '50s or early '60s. Beautifully played. Love the launching pad for the trumpet solo entrance. Another good one, whatever it is.

11 – A West Coast vibe. The music doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know, but it's still engaging. Love the interlude before the piano solo, and the slightly spiky piano solo itself.

12 – Oh, this is maddening. I know this tune from somewhere, though I don't know the performance. It feels like a Freddie Redd composition, but I'm not turning it up on any disc of his. It's Blue Note-connected somehow – Brooks, McLean, Walter Davis? The two tenors here were right to pick up on a great tune. No guesses as to their identities, but I'll hazard a guess that the second is more experienced than the first.

OK, here's the first two-thirds...

1 - Real nice tenor here, with some of Coltrane's Carolina drawl. Is this Ravi? Whoever it is, I'm impressed. Piano solo ain't bad either. This tune is a contrafact on something, isn't it?

Not Ravi. Would welcome any information on the origins of the tune.

2 – "Just Friends," in an arrangement that sounds like an orchestral expansion of a late Prez solo. Well played. I'm not in the mood for this kind of thing very often, but I'm interested.

Yes, a great arranger's unique version of "Just Friends" played by his own orchestra. Not aware that any specific solo is echoed in the arrangement.

3 – The buzz in the tone says it's Roy Eldridge or a VERY close imitator playing "I Can't Get Started." Likely a JATP recording.

You have it! Roy with JATP playing "I Can't Get Started". (The rhythm section are of some note, too.)

4 – Wow, I love that tenor tone. Much like Charlie Rouse's, but I'm not hearing Rouse stock phrases here, and this player's attack is more flexible. Eagerly awaiting an answer on this one, though it's probably right under my nose.

5 – The arranger lets his debt to Dameron show, and I am a sucker for all things Dameronian. It's track 7 here.

Excellent! A lesser-known Dameron tune, "Whatever Possessed Me", recorded by the Joe Lovano Nonet in 1999 and featuring the leader on tenor.

6 – Is that the real McCoy Tyner? Is this that album he did with Gary Bartz and Terence Blanchard, that I don't have? It's studio-nice and clean, but not what these players (whoever they are) do best.

Not McCoy. "Not what these players do best" is an astute comment which I'll return to.

7 – OK, this sounds even more like McCoy than 6 did. The pianist has his motor habits. But I can't run this one down among my McCoy big-band records. Maybe it's a curveball and this is from McCoy's recent collaborations with the Charles Tolliver big band? Good stuff whatever it is.

I hear McCoy, too, but it isn't him.

8 – Vaguely familiar. Sort of a second-wave bebop thing, circa 1949-51. Maybe Red Rodney or Conte Candoli. Trumpet solo is the best part. The sign-off of the bari solo is wonderful.

Very good. Yes, it's Rodney, but a couple of years earlier in Jan 1947. Interesting to contrast your view of the trumpet playing with Jeff's. I'm inclined to agree with him that RR is a wee bit clichéd here, though with my tastes it's a track I can play time and again and still find wonderful!

9 – The more I listen, the more I think that's Paul Gonsalves. Likely his Riverside album, which I don't have.

Right! It's the Gonsalves Riverside album!

10 – Late '50s or early '60s. Beautifully played. Love the launching pad for the trumpet solo entrance. Another good one, whatever it is.

Yes, 1957.

11 – A West Coast vibe. The music doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know, but it's still engaging. Love the interlude before the piano solo, and the slightly spiky piano solo itself.

You got the coast right!

12 – Oh, this is maddening. I know this tune from somewhere, though I don't know the performance. It feels like a Freddie Redd composition, but I'm not turning it up on any disc of his. It's Blue Note-connected somehow – Brooks, McLean, Walter Davis? The two tenors here were right to pick up on a great tune. No guesses as to their identities, but I'll hazard a guess that the second is more experienced than the first.

I thought people might recognize this composition. As far as I can make out, it appeared on two albums from the 1960 era. You may also be recognizing the changes of the modern jazz classic on which it is based.

Many thanks for a well-informed and very interesting contribution.

Edited by BillF

Finishing the parts I omitted in haste yesterday...

13 – The West Coast vibe is back, on "Strike Up the Band." There's some creative writing for brass, especially after the trombone solo. No guess, but very enjoyable, and doesn't overstay its welcome.

14 – Still West Coasting. The piano pounding is positively Brubeckian. The trumpet is probably some lesser-known, with a nice attack, a good compromise between Chet and Brownie. No guess, but it's fun.

This is a very entertaining BFT, Bill! Eagerly awaiting the reveal. Thank you!

Finishing the parts I omitted in haste yesterday...

13 – The West Coast vibe is back, on "Strike Up the Band." There's some creative writing for brass, especially after the trombone solo. No guess, but very enjoyable, and doesn't overstay its welcome.

Yes, "Strike Up the Band". As for "West Coast", the arranger (famous) was located there at one stage in his career, otherwise it's all NYC/East Coast.

14 – Still West Coasting. The piano pounding is positively Brubeckian. The trumpet is probably some lesser-known, with a nice attack, a good compromise between Chet and Brownie. No guess, but it's fun.

Yes, this time it is West Coast. No one has so far named the pianist, who is a big name and pretty far from Brubeck, I would have thought. Perhaps it's the recording quality that's throwing people. "Compromise between Chet and Brownie" is a nice description of the style of this trumpeter, who's a pretty big name too.

This is a very entertaining BFT, Bill! Eagerly awaiting the reveal. Thank you!

Okay, here we go as I try to butcher another BFT (I am not very good at this yet)... :)

I'll just give highlights/bits where I really liked the tunes and/or had something to say:

Track 1 - Hmmm...a couple of Coltrane-ish harmonic turns in the head. Not really sure who this is, but if I had to take a stab at it I'd say someone like Mark Turner. Sounds like some stuff I've heard him do, but I'm no expert on Mark Turner so I could be way off... :)

Track 3 - "I Can't Get Started"...beautiful! I feel like I should be able to guess this trumpet player...very nice sound. What a tune. Could have been longer, but on the other

hand they say a lot in those 2 and a half minutes. I like how the trumpet player takes lots of liberties with the melody.

Track 4 - Love the tenor player! Fluid yet soulful...love the bluesy stuff in there. This must be an old Prestige date or something, no? I can't guess at this one, but I feel like I should know who this is.

Track 8 - Another one where I'm sure I know some of the players, but I'm not having any luck guessing at the moment. Nice tight ensemble playing on the heads and great soloing by everyone here. Agh...who is that piano player? So familiar. Love the piano solo.

Track 9 - Now we're talking...wooooo!! LOVE that tenor player, what a great sound and concept. Like a study in dichotomy...urgent yet relaxed, in control yet feeling like he's about to go off the rails... Killer trumpet solo too. Dying to know what/who this is.

Track 11 - I really like the tune and arrangement a lot, and once again, the tenor player is fantastic.

Track 12 - Great feel at the beginning, I kind of wish they had stayed with that instead of going to the swing feel to be honest. The drummer sounds Billy Higgins-esque to me but I don't think it's him. I really like the bass player's sound, nice and fat, and he's really driving this one. This track is a killer...the two horns play so well together. Can't wait to hear about this one!

Track 13 - "Strike Up the Band" of course...the drummer isn't Philly Joe, is it?

Thanks for putting this together Bill, great stuff!

Edited by webbcity

Okay, here we go as I try to butcher another BFT (I am not very good at this yet)... :)

I'll just give highlights/bits where I really liked the tunes and/or had something to say:

Track 1 - Hmmm...a couple of Coltrane-ish harmonic turns in the head. Not really sure who this is, but if I had to take a stab at it I'd say someone like Mark Turner. Sounds like some stuff I've heard him do, but I'm no expert on Mark Turner so I could be way off... :)

Not mark Turner.

Track 3 - "I Can't Get Started"...beautiful! I feel like I should be able to guess this trumpet player...very nice sound. What a tune. Could have been longer, but on the other

hand they say a lot in those 2 and a half minutes. I like how the trumpet player takes lots of liberties with the melody.

Yes, "I Can't Get Started" played by one of the great trumpet masters.

Track 4 - Love the tenor player! Fluid yet soulful...love the bluesy stuff in there. This must be an old Prestige date or something, no? I can't guess at this one, but I feel like I should know who this is.

Not Prestige. Perhaps you have an excuse for not knowing this guy. :rolleyes:

Track 8 - Another one where I'm sure I know some of the players, but I'm not having any luck guessing at the moment. Nice tight ensemble playing on the heads and great soloing by everyone here. Agh...who is that piano player? So familiar. Love the piano solo.

The pianist was a favorite of one of jazz's greatest.

Track 9 - Now we're talking...wooooo!! LOVE that tenor player, what a great sound and concept. Like a study in dichotomy...urgent yet relaxed, in control yet feeling like he's about to go off the rails... Killer trumpet solo too. Dying to know what/who this is.

Track 11 - I really like the tune and arrangement a lot, and once again, the tenor player is fantastic.

Track 12 - Great feel at the beginning, I kind of wish they had stayed with that instead of going to the swing feel to be honest. The drummer sounds Billy Higgins-esque to me but I don't think it's him. I really like the bass player's sound, nice and fat, and he's really driving this one. This track is a killer...the two horns play so well together. Can't wait to hear about this one!

Glad you liked it! I do, too. Not Higgins, though he may have been an influence.

Track 13 - "Strike Up the Band" of course...the drummer isn't Philly Joe, is it?

Yes, "Strike Up the Band". Impressive drumming, I agree, but not PJJ.

Thanks for putting this together Bill, great stuff!

Thanks for your enthusiastic response!

I'm late to the party - there was such a lot to listen to.

1 There’s something kind of Woody Herman-ish about this tune and the way the band plays it. Not that it I think it is Herman, but it seems to have been modelled after some of those ‘Four brothers’ things. I rather like this, except for the drummer, who I think is a bit too busy. Does that mean it’s Buddy Rich?

2 This sounds like a sixties update on the style of 1. And, after over 3 minutes of band intro (yes, I know it’s not an intro) we get an effin’ bass solo! Then 2 more minutes of band extro. Can’t be asked, sorry.

3 ‘I can’t get started’ played by a great unknown (to me) trumpet player. Actually, he doesn’t quite make me feel it. There’s something just a little hard about his sound that makes me think he’s putting it on.

4 I know the tune but can’t place it. I know the sax player but can’t place him, either. He’s a bit too full of chops on this for me to really enjoy him. Now he’s reprising the tune, I’m sure I don’t know it but I do know the song it’s based on, but still can’t place it. No more ideas second time around except to say the tenor player has been well influenced by Sonny Stitt.

5 This sounds like Gerald Wilson’s arranging. And a beautiful tenor solo by someone I’m sure I OUGHT to recognise. What a lovely cut! On a second listen, I‘m more sure this is a Gerald arrangement and #7 isn’t. Still a lovely track.

6 I feel that this track is a bit disorganised. Or maybe disjointed. It’s like a few musicians taking turns to solo, not to create a piece that conveys something to the audience. The girl friend of a former neighbour would have called this ‘jazz wanking’; I think she’d have been right.

7 Oh, this one sounds a bit on the Gerald Wilson lines, too. Well, I think this is Wilson so #5 probably isn’t. Nice piano player with a lot of Cedar Walton in him. But I don’t associate Walton with big bands, so it’s almost certainly someone else. Fair trombonist but not a specially recognisable voice. And a balls-breaking tenor player. No, this can’t be Gerald Wilson; there’s too much band. Gerald Wilson always made his arrangements support the soloists, not take over from them. I wonder if this is a McCoy Tyner big band?

8 This sounds like some late swing players getting with bebop. Nice, without being in any way overwhelming.

9 I don’t know what this is or who. The band is either absolutely thinking as one or the whole thing has been rehearsed to the nth degree. I think the former. It’s the true antithesis of #6. The trumpet player sometimes reminds me of John Hunt, which means it’s almost certainly not him. Well, I’m getting a Riverside feeling about this cut.

10 Oh, a real flagwaver here! Surely no one would put Basie in a BFT? Clarke/Boland band?

11 Gawd, wotta GROOVE! Times like this, I wonder why bebop didn’t take over the dance floors. Bebop as it ought always to have been. Well, not really, but…

12 Well, this is good all right, but it’s not holding my attention. I’ll give it another try tomorrow. On to the next. On a second listen, I have a Harold Land feeling about the tenor player, though I’m not so well into Land as to be anything like sure. Oh, there are apparently two tenor players, here. This is really very nice, but isn’t really getting through at the gut level, especially now the pianist has taken over.

13 ‘Strike up the band’ with an arrangement I think I know. It must be a bit borrowed from something, because I don’t know the soloists and, after the tenor solo, I don’t know the next bit of band. It all has the feel of a Ray Charles performance. But it’s not him.

14 Well, this is a live version of ‘All the things you are’, played by a modern band with a piano player who must be the leader, though the trumpet player is having the first solo. He’s a nice player with a nice swinging flow about him, not anyone I’ve heard before, I think. I like the space the pianist is using. Oh, he’s nice, too! He’s a bit of a nut case, as well. There’s stuff he’s doing, particularly after the trumpet player comes in, that reminds me of Earl Hines, but Shirley it can’t be, I am too inexperienced to identify Earl Hines. But that cut is WUNNERFUL!

There’s a lot to enjoy in this BFT. Thanks Bill.

MG

I'm late to the party - there was such a lot to listen to.

1 There’s something kind of Woody Herman-ish about this tune and the way the band plays it. Not that it I think it is Herman, but it seems to have been modelled after some of those ‘Four brothers’ things. I rather like this, except for the drummer, who I think is a bit too busy. Does that mean it’s Buddy Rich?

Not Rich and no Herman connection that I know of.

2 This sounds like a sixties update on the style of 1. And, after over 3 minutes of band intro (yes, I know it’s not an intro) we get an effin’ bass solo! Then 2 more minutes of band extro. Can’t be asked, sorry.

Yes, an unusual piece indeed!

3 ‘I can’t get started’ played by a great unknown (to me) trumpet player. Actually, he doesn’t quite make me feel it. There’s something just a little hard about his sound that makes me think he’s putting it on.

Got the tune, anyway!

4 I know the tune but can’t place it. I know the sax player but can’t place him, either. He’s a bit too full of chops on this for me to really enjoy him. Now he’s reprising the tune, I’m sure I don’t know it but I do know the song it’s based on, but still can’t place it. No more ideas second time around except to say the tenor player has been well influenced by Sonny Stitt.

Yes, you probably know the sax player pretty well and I'm sure he admired Stitt's playing.

5 This sounds like Gerald Wilson’s arranging. And a beautiful tenor solo by someone I’m sure I OUGHT to recognise. What a lovely cut! On a second listen, I‘m more sure this is a Gerald arrangement and #7 isn’t. Still a lovely track.

Not Gerald Wilson, but another big arranger name. This track is turning out very popular.

6 I feel that this track is a bit disorganised. Or maybe disjointed. It’s like a few musicians taking turns to solo, not to create a piece that conveys something to the audience. The girl friend of a former neighbour would have called this ‘jazz wanking’; I think she’d have been right.

I like this one, or I wouldn't have put it in, but just as #5 is turning out popular, this one seems to be generally less admired.

7 Oh, this one sounds a bit on the Gerald Wilson lines, too. Well, I think this is Wilson so #5 probably isn’t. Nice piano player with a lot of Cedar Walton in him. But I don’t associate Walton with big bands, so it’s almost certainly someone else. Fair trombonist but not a specially recognisable voice. And a balls-breaking tenor player. No, this can’t be Gerald Wilson; there’s too much band. Gerald Wilson always made his arrangements support the soloists, not take over from them. I wonder if this is a McCoy Tyner big band?

Not Wilson, Walton or Tyner - less well known people here - but good, I'm sure you'll agree.

8 This sounds like some late swing players getting with bebop. Nice, without being in any way overwhelming.

100% bop, I'd call it. :excited:

9 I don’t know what this is or who. The band is either absolutely thinking as one or the whole thing has been rehearsed to the nth degree. I think the former. It’s the true antithesis of #6. The trumpet player sometimes reminds me of John Hunt, which means it’s almost certainly not him. Well, I’m getting a Riverside feeling about this cut.

Riverside, it is! My guess was that you'd really like this one, M G.

10 Oh, a real flagwaver here! Surely no one would put Basie in a BFT? Clarke/Boland band?

Certainly a Basie influence, but once again a lesser known name.

11 Gawd, wotta GROOVE! Times like this, I wonder why bebop didn’t take over the dance floors. Bebop as it ought always to have been. Well, not really, but…

Yeah, swings nicely. Glad you liked it.

12 Well, this is good all right, but it’s not holding my attention. I’ll give it another try tomorrow. On to the next. On a second listen, I have a Harold Land feeling about the tenor player, though I’m not so well into Land as to be anything like sure. Oh, there are apparently two tenor players, here. This is really very nice, but isn’t really getting through at the gut level, especially now the pianist has taken over.

This one's emerging as more liked by me than by other BFT-ers.

13 ‘Strike up the band’ with an arrangement I think I know. It must be a bit borrowed from something, because I don’t know the soloists and, after the tenor solo, I don’t know the next bit of band. It all has the feel of a Ray Charles performance. But it’s not him.

Yes, "Strike Up the Band" by a lesser known outfit, but arranged by a big name.

14 Well, this is a live version of ‘All the things you are’, played by a modern band with a piano player who must be the leader, though the trumpet player is having the first solo. He’s a nice player with a nice swinging flow about him, not anyone I’ve heard before, I think. I like the space the pianist is using. Oh, he’s nice, too! He’s a bit of a nut case, as well. There’s stuff he’s doing, particularly after the trumpet player comes in, that reminds me of Earl Hines, but Shirley it can’t be, I am too inexperienced to identify Earl Hines. But that cut is WUNNERFUL!

Pleased I put this one in. I can see it has an appeal!

There’s a lot to enjoy in this BFT. Thanks Bill.

Many thanks for some fascinating comments, M G.

MG

I'm going to Carolina, not just in my mind, so I'd better at least get a thank you comment in. Your BFT really exposes my lack of knowledge. Nice music all around, just not what I normally sit back in the easy chair and listen to. I listened to the BFT on my morning walk the last three days and enjoyed it very much.

I would do some critical listening to the trumpet player on track 3. Top shelf. Kind of sounds familiar, maybe on some previous BFT. The only complaint is that the track was too short. I guess he said what he wanted to say.

I also like the last track quite a bit, the piano player in particular. Kind of an odd style and different sound to the instrument, no.

Thanks very much for the music.

I'm going to Carolina, not just in my mind, so I'd better at least get a thank you comment in. Your BFT really exposes my lack of knowledge. Nice music all around, just not what I normally sit back in the easy chair and listen to. I listened to the BFT on my morning walk the last three days and enjoyed it very much.

I would do some critical listening to the trumpet player on track 3. Top shelf. Kind of sounds familiar, maybe on some previous BFT. The only complaint is that the track was too short. I guess he said what he wanted to say.

I also like the last track quite a bit, the piano player in particular. Kind of an odd style and different sound to the instrument, no.

Thanks very much for the music.

Thanks very much for your comments.

Track 3's trumpeter is indeed top shelf - one of the great masters of the horn.

Another positive response to the last track - glad I put that one in!

Thanks again!

Edited by BillF

I truly have nothing constructive to add (I know, I know, big surprise there). I feel like I've stumbled upon the best jazz radio station ever!!! There's a lot of sameness to these ears, and that is by no means a knock against this collection: I'm enjoying it tremendously!!! I just can't tell one track from the other, and I halfway expect a DJ to break in at some point and say "That was "(song title)" performed by "(whoever)" featuring "(a whole lotta cats I can't identify)"

So, apologies to my legions of fans who were gearing up for the usual incoherent ramblings and shoutings and illegible/illogical shenanigans, lies, excuses, and morbid fascinations. :crazy:

Now, on to read the intelligent commentary contained within this thread!

I truly have nothing constructive to add (I know, I know, big surprise there). I feel like I've stumbled upon the best jazz radio station ever!!! There's a lot of sameness to these ears, and that is by no means a knock against this collection: I'm enjoying it tremendously!!! I just can't tell one track from the other, and I halfway expect a DJ to break in at some point and say "That was "(song title)" performed by "(whoever)" featuring "(a whole lotta cats I can't identify)"

So, apologies to my legions of fans who were gearing up for the usual incoherent ramblings and shoutings and illegible/illogical shenanigans, lies, excuses, and morbid fascinations. :crazy:

Now, on to read the intelligent commentary contained within this thread!

Like that bit about the best jazz radio station ever! :lol:

1. The tenor player has a sound like Ralph Moore, but he's not playing like I remember Ralph playing.

2. Bill Holman's arrangement of Just Friends. It's in the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra's book, but I don't think that's them playing it. I can't say I'm fond of this arrangement.

4. Tenor player reminds me of Barney Wilen's phrasing a little but I'm sure it's not him - too much vibrato. A lot of Lucky Thompson in there. I wonder if it's a European guy.

12. Eric Alexander and Grant Stewart playing Omicron.

1. The tenor player has a sound like Ralph Moore, but he's not playing like I remember Ralph playing.

It is Ralph Moore.

2. Bill Holman's arrangement of Just Friends. It's in the Vanguard Jazz Orchestra's book, but I don't think that's them playing it. I can't say I'm fond of this arrangement.

Yes, Holman's arrangement of "Just Friends", played here by his own orchestra.

4. Tenor player reminds me of Barney Wilen's phrasing a little but I'm sure it's not him - too much vibrato. A lot of Lucky Thompson in there. I wonder if it's a European guy.

Yes, European.

12. Eric Alexander and Grant Stewart playing Omicron.

Correct!

Many thanks for your contribution, Michael. What about Track 7? You probably know many of these players personally.

Didn't read the thread but listened first, as it just arrived 2 days ago.

Initial impressions

#1 No clue, stuggling with that one, should know this player.

# 2 yes, the VJO, Holman's arrangement of Just Freinds. I recognized the arranger's style first, then the band.

# 3 My first guess was Eldridge.

I think # 4 is Tubby Hayes (at first, I thought it might be his British disciple Simon Spillett). I think it's Tubby, though, a little too polished for Simon.

#5 sounds like Lovano to me, is that from the Dameron CD?

#6 - don't know.

#7 is the John Fedchock NY BB.

#8 recognized Chaloff.

# 9 recognized Gonsalves.

#10 - don't know

# 11 - don't know.

#12 yes, that's Eric A. and Grant S. - - this is my favorite track in the whole BFT.

13 - recognize Zoot - don't know the band.

14. Sounds like Chet to me - Is that with the Italian group? Good piano player, bad piano.

Didn't read the thread but listened first, as it just arrived 2 days ago.

Initial impressions

#1 No clue, stuggling with that one, should know this player.

# 2 yes, the VJO, Holman's arrangement of Just Freinds. I recognized the arranger's style first, then the band.

Yes, Holman's arrangement , but not the VJO - Holman's own orch.

# 3 My first guess was Eldridge.

And, of course, you were right!

I think # 4 is Tubby Hayes (at first, I thought it might be his British disciple Simon Spillett). I think it's Tubby, though, a little too polished for Simon.

At last someone's got this!

#5 sounds like Lovano to me, is that from the Dameron CD?

Yes, it is. :tup

#6 - don't know.

Neither does anyone else! :lol:

#7 is the John Fedchock NY BB.

Excellent! You're first to get this.

#8 recognized Chaloff.

And you recognized right!

# 9 recognized Gonsalves.

Right again.

#10 - don't know

Remains unidentified - bit obscure, I admit.

# 11 - don't know.

Decidedly obscure, but nice music and very interesting, as time will reveal.

#12 yes, that's Eric A. and Grant S. - - this is my favorite track in the whole BFT.

Delighted to hear fulsome praise for these two, who aren't the most loved in these parts. ^_^

13 - recognize Zoot - don't know the band.

Not Zoot - the other one! :D

14. Sounds like Chet to me - Is that with the Italian group? Good piano player, bad piano.

Not Chet, no Italians. This one is keeping people guessing - surprisingly so, as trumpeter and pianist each made sooo many albums!

Many thanks for your well-informed contribution, John.