Nels Cline does Andrew Hill

Aggie87

Saw mention of this on the SH Forums...

Nels Cline plays the music of Andrew Hill

group - Nels Cline, Ben Goldberg, Andrea Parkins, Bobby Bradford, Devin Hoff, & Scott Amendola

01/27 Winters, CA - The Palms Playhouse

01/30 Oakland, CA - Yoshi's

02/03 Culver City, CA - Club Tropical

Anybody see the show last night? Or planning on one of the other two? The person who posted comments really has me intrigued about this show.

There aren't any other dates for this group on Cline's website, but I'd love to see this if they continue it at any point.

The show at Club Tropical is actually Thursday Feb 2:

http://www.cryptonight.com/

I sure intend to go!

Nels Cline & Friends play the music of Andrew Hill

Guitarist Nels Cline's profile has grown in recent years thanks to his involvement with Wilco, but the extra attention hasn't gone to his head--Cline remains a humble and reverential music fanatic, venerating his influences even as he explodes musical boundaries. A few years back Cline honored John Coltrane by covering Interstellar Space in its entirety; late last year he took part in a blistering electric ode to Coltrane's Ascension. This time around, he delves into the music of another of his inspirations, post-bop icon Andrew Hill, a composer/pianist whose experiments in the 60s still resonate in the jazz avant-garde of today. And what an ensemble Cline has assembled for the occasion: cornetist Bobby Bradford (sideman for Ornette Coleman), clarinetist Ben Goldberg (of Tin Hat), accordionist Andrea Parkins (Ellery Eskelin, Anthony Coleman), and the formidable rhythm section of Devin Hoff and Scott Amendola (2/3 of the Nels Cline Singers). The sextet will play material that they're about to record for an upcoming Andrew Hill tribute album, set for a late 2006 release on Cryptogramophone

Nels Cline - guitars

Andrea Parkins - accordion, electronics

Ben Goldberg - clarinet

Bobby Bradford - cornet

Devin Hoff - bass

Scott Amendola - drums

Thankyouthankyouthankyou for posting this! There was another thread about this some time ago, but I searched for it recently and couldn't find it. Nor could i find any info on it (at the time) on Crypto's site.

Anyhow, I'm certainly hoping to go, so if all's well I should see at least Adam there.

• 2 weeks later...

Good show; not great as a few parts were a bit too "noisy" for my tastes, but overall i really enjoyed it. It was actually somewhat difficult to recognize Hill's compositions since some of the arrangements were so extreme - and no piano of course. Most of the numbers were played as "suites" consisting of 2 or 3 different tunes arranged together. Some were quite brilliant - such as the one that included a snippet of Rumproller - others not so much. But it was an invigorating set overall, and it's so refreshing to see an artist's work tackled in a manner that's both unconventional and reverent. I think Andrew would be proud.

Nels Cline - electric guitar

Bobby Bradford - cornet

Andrea Perkins - accordion

Ben Goldberg - clar, bass clarinet

Devin Hoff - bass

Scott Amendola - drums

First set:

-- Dedication (from Point of Departure)

add Alex Cline, perc, for the next song

-- Compulsion

remove Alex Cline

- Yokada, Yokada plus a bit of The Rumproller in the middle

- Suite: No Doubt (from Andrew!)/ 11/8 ("newish vamp" / Dance with Death

Second set:

- Suite: Reconciliation (from Judgement) / New Monastery (from PoD)

This one started with just a trio (Cline, Amendola, Hoff) and add the other 3 for New Monastery

- Not Sa, No sa (a newer piece - spelling?)( there is a Blue Note number called Not So, and I wonder if it is related, but Cline called this a "newer piece")

- Suite: McNeil Island / Pumpkin

So, yes, all Hill material. I am surprised, given the lineup, that they did so much Blue Note material.

Adam,

Thanks for the set list.

There is a piece called 'Not Sa No Sa' on the Jazzpar CD The Day The World Stood Still.

I was hoping they would do some material from the Mosaic Select - I think 'Monkash' (AKA 'Gentle Suspension') would work in this context.

Sorry I missed this group.

Bertrand.

Adam,

Thanks for the set list.

There is a piece called 'Not Sa No Sa' on the Jazzpar CD The Day The World Stood Still.

I was hoping they would do some material from the Mosaic Select - I think 'Monkash' (AKA 'Gentle Suspension') would work in this context.

Sorry I missed this group.

Bertrand.

How does one come by the Jazzpar CD?

It's available used from Amazon.com, for $7.55.

edit - that price is supposedly for a new copy, though the seller's rating isn't as high as I'd like, personally. Plenty of other copies available there, though. And some on cduniverse.com too.

Edited by Aggie87