Songs included in most sessions

EKE BBB

In one more of my stupid statistical surveys ;) I took my time to go through the astounding list of songs (238.000+) included in Lord´s Discography database, to discover the SONGS INCLUDED IN MOST SESSIONS.

With all the well-known precautions regarding the completeness of this discography, and leaving aside the fact that in some sessions alternate takes may be included (what would probably change the results), here´s the list of SONGS INCLUDED IN 500+ SESSIONS:

St Louis blues 1.456

Body and soul 1.309

Sweet Georgia Brown 1.086

Summertime 994

Take the A train 932

Stardust 915

Round midnight 900

Honeysuckle rose 892

Caravan 840

All the things you are 830

Basin Street blues 824

After you´ve gone 772

Tiger rag 765

When the saints go marching in 764

My funny valentine 749

Yesterdays 743

Indiana 737

I can´t get started 733

Ain´t misbehavin´ 719

Sophisticated lady 711

Autumn leaves 704

Royal garden blues 692

Mood indigo 686

Lover man 680

Stella by starlight 680

I´ve found a new baby 671

On the sunny side of the street 666

Satin doll 666

The man I love 663

Muskrat ramble 641

Perdido 626

Georgia on my mind 609

How high the moon 602

Love for sale 599

Tea for two 597

Stompin´ at the Savoy 596

Willow weep for me 590

All of me 572

I can´t give you anything but love 571

Tin roof blues 566

Blues my naughty sweetie gives to me 563

In a sentimental mood 552

High society 536

I got rhythm 532

Just a closer walk with thee 526

That´s a plenty 526

What is this thing called love 520

Embraceable you 510

These foolish things 509

Cherokee 508

Theme 504

Don´t get around much anymore 502

Limehouse blues 501

I got it bad and that ain´t good 500

A few surprises, eh???

:rsmile:

Edited by EKE BBB

In one more of my stupid statistical surveys ;) I took my time to go through the astounding list of songs (238.000+) included in Lord´s Discography database, to discover the SONGS INCLUDED IN MOST SESSIONS.

it's about time I gave you something else to do... <_<

;)

In one more of my stupid statistical surveys  ;)  I took my time to go through the astounding list of songs (238.000+) included in Lord´s Discography database, to discover the SONGS INCLUDED IN MOST SESSIONS.

it's about time I gave you something else to do... <_<

;)

Just waiting...

:g

"gave me", "give me", "gives to me" - various versions at AMG, but not many in all.

indeed, 6 in total spread over 4 different titles...

EKE who performs the song then acc. to Lord? AMG only lists Eddie Condon, Don Ewell, the :rfr Dice of Dixieland, and :rfr Ted Weems & His Orchestra...

The "Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me" situation is one of MANY completely screwed up things in the Lord CD-ROM.

Almost ALL of these entries are actually tunes that are titled simply "Blues". And they are almost all completely unrelated, so I wouldn't count "Blues" as a commonly played tune the same way as "St. Louis Blues" is.

I have found several other similar errors. Simply proof that no one is minding the store. BTW, there is an entry in Lord for "Blues" or "The Blues" - where you will find instances of the Ellington piece from Black Brown & Beige, among other things. There are 215 of those.

I feel confident that no one ever entered "Blues My Naughty Sweetie Gives To Me" in all those sessions - the error was introduced by some bonehead in a perhaps well-intentioned attempt to streamline tune titles, which obviously was only half-baked, if you'll notice these:

Crepescule with Nellie

Crepuscle with Nellie

Crepuscule with Nellie

Crepuscule with Nelly

Crespuscle with Nellie

Crespuscule with Nellie

DUH. So no one has bothered to even look at the index. Musicians index is even worse.

In terms of the "Blues" (and other similar) situations, the Lord books and the v. 2 CD-ROM are actually better than the v. 3 and v. 4 CD-ROMs, if you can believe that.

Mike

BTW, the entries for "Theme" have nothing to do with each other. Any time an artist played the band's theme (for a radio broadcast, for example) and it's labeled as such it will get added to the total. So Tommy Dorsey - Theme [i'm getting sentimental over you] is in the same total as Louis Prima - Theme [sing, sing, sing] and Joe Guy - Theme [Epistrophy] and Woody Herman - Theme [blue flame]. Plus, of course, the Miles Davis "The Theme" and the Blakey/Dorham "The Theme" and many others.

Stupidity reigns.

Mike

Thanks for the corrections, Mike.

You´re very critical with Lord´s discography. I find it a very useful tool for us collectors, with its mistakes and omissions. For the latter, it´s very remarkable with non-US musicians or, at least, I´ve searched and checked Spanish musicians and there are a lot of omissions for musicians and sessions. Well, I´m supposing it pretends to be a COMPLETE discography for non-US musicians as well.

And I bought the last edition, version 4.4, a few weeks ago. So, I can´t compare with previous versions.

Thanks again for you input.

Edited by EKE BBB