AOTW Aug. 8-14: Billie Holiday, SOLITUDE

Adam has asked me to pick the Album of the Week for Aug. 8-14. I've chosen Billie Holiday's first studio recording for Verve, re-issued on CD as SOLITUDE:

B0000046R8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Jackie McLean's DESTINATION OUT was my other choice, but looking back over the AOTWs, I see a fair amount of classic Blue Note dates, and very few vocal albums. (And hopefully my mentioning it here might inspire someone else to choose it in the future!) SOLITUDE is still in print as an individual CD, and it's also part of the Billie Holiday Verve box. In my mind it's one of Holiday's best efforts for Verve & curiously overlooked in her general output. (The 1957 sessions with Ben Webster, which I also love, seem to get much more attention.) Musicians on the spring 1952 date include Flip Phillips, Charlie Shavers, Barney Kessel, Oscar Peterson, and Alvin Stoller. I'm a fan of Holiday's work all the way up to the end (the MGM session LAST RECORDING), but on SOLITUDE her voice seems to have much of the Verve-era character while retaining more of her technique. I particularly enjoy hearing her re-visit "These Foolish Things," which she had recorded in the 1930s as well, and the title track; other highlights for me include "You Turned the Tables On Me," "Love for Sale," "If the Moon Turns Green," and "Autumn in New York." There's such a mood to this album; it almost feels like a concept record, something akin to what Sinatra would be doing on Capitol very shortly.

Plus I just like the damned cover. B)

Another thumbs up here for your choice for the reasons you mentioned - and Charlie Shavers has to be one of the unsung greats on his horn as far as I'm concerned! I've been listening to his Keynote recordings recently and can't help but wonder why he wasn't given more opportunities as a leader by Verve. :tup

The music from this album was my introduction to Lady Day, AFA conscious listening is concerned. My girlfriend at the time had a license pressing bought in Eastern Berlin. After I bought the Verve box, this session remined one of my favourites. Some appropriate masterful backing by Oscar Peterson, inspired horns, kicking rhythm, and the star of the show in fine form.

Contrary to the commentary in the box I find Charlie Shavers' playing very good and not showing off at all, just expressing his exitement about Lady's good vocals and being on the date.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm surprised that this AOW thread hasn't received more responses. However, my response is late, so perhaps more will be forthcoming.

Billie Holiday is perhaps my favorite vocalist in any genre, and her Verve sides are my favorites of all of her recordings. She recorded many sides for Verve, and not all are perfect or of the same level of worth, but the best of them stand with the best recorded music. Some jazz vocalists can make one feel the words of a lyric, while others are able to convey the feel of the music. For me, Billie Holiday is the only jazz vocalist who can do both of these things.

I have favorites among the performances on Solitude - among them: "Everything I Have Is Yours", "Easy to Love", the title tune, and "Autumn in New York", which isn't always easy for me to listen to, as Billie's vocal captures the loneliness implied in the lyric all too well.

Whenever I listen to Billie Holiday's Verve sessions, I think of Miles Davis' comment after listening to her on a blindfold test. I don't have the quote handy, but he said something to the effect that Billie didn't need horns accompanying her, since her vocals were like an instrument already. (Miles may have punctuated his comments with a curse or two ). I agree with that, but do have to say that Flip Phillips plays some obbligatos that add to the feel of the music, and that Herb Ellis and Oscar Peterson play some good accompaniment. However, I have to respectfully disagree with some previously posted comments about Charlie Shavers. To my ears, his solos are at odds with the feel of the music. The only one that is even halfway decent is his muted solo on "Easy to Love", and even there, if you compare Billie's vocal with his solo, it's hearing the difference between a master musician with someone who just plays music.

A thank you to ghost for choosing this - it was a pleasure to sit down and listen to it once again.

Thanks for posting this AOW.

I do not have it, but will try to pick it up soon. My Holiday section is growing of late. Others in my sights are Recital(which may have songs from the same session as Solitude) and Lady Sings The Blues as these are currently available in the analog domain.

Listening to an excellent Verve 2 LP set from 1955-57 dates as I type.

• 2 weeks later...