Complete Nocturne Recodings

I've had the Herbie Harper Sextet blaring away in my car for at least 6 weeks now and have decided that I should make an effort to try to scoop up some of his other material. I saw a blurb over on the AMG about the Complete Nocturne Recordings (Fresh Sounds) and despite the fact that they sort of downplayed the 2nd & 3rd discs, it looks like a real good one to go after...particularly with those Levy and Rowles trio sessions. I've seen the set over at the Fresh Sounds site at a reasonably price.......is it worth picking up? And how is the Virgil Gonsalves material? Never even heard of him.

My recollection from the BNBB was that they were planning a second volume, but maybe I missed the post you mention.

I wouldn't mind hearing less jazzy stuff from these guys-- any idea what they do on the remaining Nocturne material?

Pop instrumentals? Pop vocals?

• 3 weeks later...

You might want to check the price at Dusty Groove. They usually have this in stock at a good price.

Received a note from them on Fri. morning that it was back in stock...quickly grabbed it and now it's again listed as "out". Wonder how many copies an outfit like DG receives at a time....2 or 3?

Nocturne, Volume 2.

I was one of those involved in the BNBB posting about this.

The only jazz stuff left is by Steve White and some ex Tops Earl Hines from 1954.

The White stuff is not very good and I haven't, as far as I know, heard the Hines material but it includes Dickie Wells and Jerome Richardson.

I think it's doubtful if we will see a volume 2 but if we do it could well be a single CD or, at most, a double.

John Delaney

• 9 months later...

I have these cds reissued by Fantasy as the "Jazz in Hollywood Series". According to the booklet there were 8 Nocturne 10-inch albums. two Herbie Harpers, Bud Shank/Shorty Rogers, Harry Babasin Quintet, Bob Enevoldsen Quintet and Virgil Gonsalves Sextet. Also recorded for Nocturne but not released on that label Steve White Quartet/Quintet and Lou Levy Trio. These now are compiled into five cds.

Apparently the other 2 cds that were issued by Nocturne(and not reissued on Fantasy) are"two commercial packages....A mixed bag album by Earl Hines and The Piano Artistry of Conley Graves."

• 1 month later...

Thanks to a nifty trade with another board member, I've had this set for a couple of months. It's sounding better and better.

As these sides are early in the piece in terms of the west coast sound, they seem to have a more feisty hard bop feel and less of the glibness that crept in later on.

I'm just about to order the Cooper/Holman/Rosolino box. To join the Chico Hamilton one I already own.

Help me! I'm turning into a Californian! :wacko:

• 3 years later...

While reading up about this set, I came across the following article in the Dallas Observer that I'm sure will be of interest to anyone who owns it. As a newspaper man, I admire this guy's ability to get such a long piece about such an obscure figure into his rag!

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/2000-12-07/music.html

You know, Kenny, when I first read your post I didn't quite know how to take it. I resented the fact that you had to go out of your way to refer to my father as "such an obscure figure".

I contacted Robert Wilonsky in hopes he would realize that my father was an important figure in jazz. Fortunately, he agreed and wrote a wonderful piece about Harry's contributions to jazz. There was a time when Harry was so popular that he was mentioned in every issue of Downbeat - either in an article or in the columns of where he was playing and who he was playing with. I have literally stacks of material I've collected for the documentary I'm producing.

I continue to get the history books rewritten to include Harry Babasin.

What I find amazing about today's press in the cultural cesspool that we live in, that useless people like Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan continue to get miles of press while we ignore the innovative and creative contributions of those who really deserve it.