Alice

jazzbo

I'm really enjoying the new Alice Coltrane. It's nicely recorded. Beautiful music.

One person (whose ears I respect) felt it seemed a little safe. Well, maybe. I mean she may have been playing it safe to get it out there and to maybe get another one out behind it (not sure if she's interested in playing that game or not!) BUT I think if it were any less safe we'd have a cd full of tunes like the final track, which is like what she has put out in the last few decades on her own (I still haven't heard one of those, but I bet it is similar. . . )

I especially like the duo with Oran, and man I MISSED that Wurlitzer sound!

531141.jpg

What I like about Ravi's playing here is that he cops his dad's bag by focusing on the internal seriousness, and not the external intensity.

That's a refreshing change from 30+ years of innumerable Clonetranes who go after the intensity first and foremost. What they don't seem to realize, imo, is that it's the seriousness of Trane's playing that creates the intensity, not the other way around.

Edited by JSngry

No I agree. That is one thing I am enjoying in the Billy Harper material you have pointed me to.

And just overall I think this is a nicely programmed effort, with the various instrumentation of each track, culminating in the chanting piece. . . . I'm glad that Verve/Impulse put this out.

I haven't heard the last track on the US release, because I have the Japanese which omits that track in favor of a blistering 9+ minute take of Acknowledgement from A Love Supreme, in quartet with Ravi - this whole record is amazing, beautiful - one of my favorites of the year. Hope she does another soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine brought this album up the other night on the telephone. Neither of us have heard it, but were wondering if there was any wurlitzer. Glad to hear there is, but we figured it would be mostly harp!

No harp? Too bad. I love her harp playing, then the wurlitzer, and of course the piano. I'm looking forward to hearing this anyway.