About a year til A Scanner Darkly

We're about a year away from a new Philip K. Dick movie. . . A Scanner Darkly.

That would be good news if it didn't include . . . Keanu Reeves as the star.

Fork.

Richard Linklater directing, also Wynona and Woody Harrelson and Morton Downey Jr.

:unsure:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're about a year away from a new Philip K. Dick movie. . . A Scanner Darkly.

That would be good news if it didn't include . . . Keanu Reeves as the star.

Fork.

Richard Linklater directing, also Wynona and Woody Harrelson and Morton Downey Jr.

:unsure:

Well, w/Linklater should be a help ... I know that reading Dick's books often leaves me Dazed and Confused ... in a good way, of course!

Haven't seen any of his films. . . overheard him talking to someone once and sort of pegged him for a jerk. . . well we'll see.

I'm not sure that PKD left me dazed and confused in a . .. "good way" . . . not a good way at least for dealing with present reality comfortably! :o

Haven't seen any of his films. . . overheard him talking to someone once and sort of pegged him for a jerk. . . well we'll see.

I'm not sure that PKD left me dazed and confused in a . .. "good way" . . . not a good way at least for dealing with present reality comfortably! :o

That's too bad.

He had to have been a WEIRD cat. :ph34r:

Was he obnoxious like this guy? :lol:

Jeff, I'm totally with you.

First someone should write the novel. Don't think I haven't thought about it; if you turned my house upside down you might even find pages of a project I called as a working title. . . "The Black Iron Prison". . .. ^_^:huh::mellow:

Edited by jazzbo

Clem:

Linklater?! Are you fucking kidding me? Goddamn... maybe he'll do a PRO job-- not that i give a crap-- if people are too lazy to read "A Scanner Darkly" or listen to other folks touting of it (like I've been doing for 15+ years along w/"Time Out of Joint," "Ubik," "Martian Time Slip" & "Radio Free Albemuth," etc) than they deserve some hollywood crap...

I, too, am a huge PKD fan, and have coincidentally just been rereading some of his old pulps (timeslip, three stigmata, now wait for last year).

The thing with Scanner Darkly is that in the right hands it might be a pretty good film. I'm not at all hopeful looking at the cast, though.

For whatever reason, though, I've never got much from film, full stop. Not a medium that really reaches me in any intellectual way. It can scare me or make me sad or excited, but it never really makes me think, just inspires (sometimes intense, usually quite transient) emotions.

--eric

Edited by Dr. Rat

Yes, I was leaving that out . . . may be a plus, may not be.

I feel differently about film than you do Clem, I do enjoy a lot of films just for their pure escapist value, try working for the state of Texas forty-five hours a week or so for a couple decades, you need lots of escape.

There are a few films that have made me think, but they're few and far between Dr. Rat, but then I don't make that a requirement.

A Scanner Darkly is a chilling book to read and digest. The movie is not likely to be near that level. But I'll be seeing it.

There are a few films that have made me think, but they're few and far between Dr. Rat, but then I don't make that a requirement.

A Scanner Darkly is a chilling book to read and digest. The movie is not likely to be near that level. But I'll be seeing it.

That's the point I guess I was trying to make: I can enjoy film, but I don't look there for life-changning enlightenment.

Scanner Darkly could have been very enjoyable. Maybe still will be. Reeves was good in one film, I hear, anyhow.

By the way my current avatar is supposedly a "still" from the new film.

Film is a great escape for me. . . I've learned to really like certain films for an outing with my wife, and others for outing with an excoworker I miss working with--the "guy movies."

So when will "The Divine Invasion" be made into a three hour summer epic? ^_^

I haven't read this novel, but I've read a lot of other PKD. In some sense, people are often at the mercy of events well beyond their control, and in that sense, Reeves might work. Other times though, he is investigating people with intense, fragmented personalities. I just don't see Reeves pulling that off. He just isn't more than a cypher on screen.

Africa Brass: did you used to be a 'head? I'm surprised to hear say "A Scanner Darkly" is yr fave tho' I agree it's absolutely among PKD's five best; list changes but that & "Ubik" are always there.

Clem, that was Jazzmoose who said it was his favorite PKD book.

I enjoy most of his writing, but I really like his later books. I haven't read any PKD in about eight years. I think it's about time. Let's see my favorites, were probably Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, Ubik, and the triology of his last three books; Valis, The Divine Invasion, and the Transmigration of Timothy Archer. I also loved the volumes of his short stories. I loved the stuff he came up with. I guess I like some of his later work is that I've wrestled with this kind of stuff myself in my own way.

It's funny you mentioned Jodorowsky's El Topo and Holy Mountain. I wish those would get re-released. I have them on video somewhere (copied from a Japanese laserdisc years ago). They are real favorites of mine. Then you mention Dennis Hopper's Last Movie. I thought I was the only one in the world who dug that film.

Yeah... I used to be a head. :D:eye:

it ** is ** funny keanu reeves is so loathed... i know absolutely nothing abt the guy but if ya'll told me nicolas cage was dead... i'd laff & say it's fucking ABOUT TIME. (cf. "leaving las vegas," most execrable "art" of any kind/any era & THEE final straw in my slow/steady rejection of '80s, '90s & beyond hollywood product... i was a dumbass for seeing it-- read an inane & misleading rev. of in the chron comparing it to Cassavetes-- but THIS is my revenge-- a 150% loathing for any/everything nicolas cage & the director was/is/will ever be involved in.)

Nicolas Cage as leading man/action hero is pretty sad. I'd actually rather see Keanu Reeves than NC. I used to dig NC when he made offbeat films, but once he got his teeth capped, it was over... I actually saw his movie Con Air in the theatre (because I used to like his movies), but that was it. Stick a fork in it. :ph34r:

By the way my current avatar is supposedly a "still" from the new film.

I'm glad you brought that up. I was thinking Winona didn't look quite that in Night On Earth.

Yeah, boy, Reeves isn't the most thrilling choice for this role, but I suppose I will get around to at least renting it someday, if for no other reason to complain that the movie in my head was so much better. Dick sure is a popular source for movies nowadays, which even if the movie versions fall short it beats overlong Sat. Night Live sketches stretched out into movies or more movies about cartoon characters.

I've come to really like the early novels, and ESPECIALLY the NONscience fiction that PKD produced in the fifties and early sixties.

Some of his more fantastic material really seem to be quite topical right now in this Bush-world, such as The Zap Gun and Lies, Inc (and in its own way Clans of the Alphane Moon!). The short stories are AMAZING in the way that they are such concentrated ideapacked constructions, but the downside for me is that the characters and their development--possibly my favorite aspect of the work--are given short shrift.

Later material is very interesting too as like Jeff I've weathered some of the issues and scenarios. . . . I see that someone intends to make a movie from "Flow My Tears the Policeman Said" which would could be one Bush-world rocking movie. . . !

Africa Brass: did you used to be a 'head? I'm surprised to hear say "A Scanner Darkly" is yr fave tho' I agree it's absolutely among PKD's five best; list changes but that & "Ubik" are always there.

Clem, that was Jazzmoose who said it was his favorite PKD book.

Yep, it was me Clem, so I guess I should answer the question: yep, used ta be!