LF Kenny Burrell: Freedom

andybleaden

HI

Anyone managed to track a copy of this down yet ? <_<

Had a good look around and now and again see it on ebay but I have resigned myself to the fact that it ain't coming out on cd for a while :(

On another note I have Kenny Burrell Volume 3 on Blue Note TOCJ etc ...with my US copies of his other Blue Notes does that mean I am covered for both of the other japanese lps KBs Blues and Swingin ?

I just looked a thte cds and it looks liek it when you line up the live set and Blue Spirit cds

Any help appreciated especially on Freedom :mellow:

thanks for any help at all on the freedom anyone can throw

rectified the swingin versus KB's Blues and volume three thing..I think!

GXF 3052 Kenny Burrell - K.B. Blues

Hank Mobley (ts) Horace Silver (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Doug Watkins (b) Louis Hayes (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, NJ, February 10, 1957

tk.3

Nica's Dream

tk.6

D.B. Blues

tk.7

K.B. Blues (alt. take)

tk.8

K.B. Blues

tk.9

Out for Blood

** also issued on BN (J) GXK 8154.

Two of the above in italics are on KB Vol 3

GXF 3070 Kenny Burrell – Swingin'

Frank Foster (ts) Tommy Flanagan (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Oscar Pettiford (b) Shadow Wilson (d)

Audio-Video Studios, NYC, March 12, 1956

tk.42

My Heart Stood Still

Louis Smith (tp) Tina Brooks, Junior Cook (ts) Duke Jordan (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Sam Jones (b) Art Blakey (d)

Manhattan Towers, NYC, May 14, 1958

tk.1

I Never Knew

Roland Hanna (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Ben Tucker (b) Art Blakey (d)

"Five Spot Cafe", 1st set, NYC, August 25, 1959

tk.3

If You Could See Me Now

Tina Brooks (ts) Bobby Timmons (p) replaces Hanna

"Five Spot Cafe", 2nd set, NYC, August 25, 1959

tk.8

Swingin'

Roland Hanna (p) replaces Brooks, Timmons

"Five Spot Cafe", 3rd set, NYC, August 25, 1959

tk.14

Beef Stew Blues

** also issued on BN (J) GXK 8155.

GXF 3057 Kenny Burrell – Freedom

All of the above are on US copies of Blue Spirit/5 spot etc

Seldon Powell (bars, fl) Hank Jones (p, org) Kenny Burrell (g) Milt Hinton (b) Osie Johnson (d)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, March 27, 1963

tk.13

The Good Life

tk.21

Stairway to the Stars

tk.27

Loie

Powell plays (ts) Jones plays (p)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, April 2, 1963

tk.35

I Hadn't Anyone 'Til You

Stanley Turrentine (ts) Herbie Hancock (p) Kenny Burrell (g) Ben Tucker (b) Bill English (d) Ray Barretto (cga)

Rudy Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, October 22, 1964

1449 tk.2

Love, Your Spell Is Everywhere

1450 tk.20

Freedom

1451 tk.25

Lonesome Road

1452 tk.31

G Minor Bash

1453 tk.42

K Twist

** also issued on BN (J) GXK 8170.

I think that K twist is on Midnight Blue RVG

Loie was on a best of Kenny Burrell comp

So in all there are still a few tracks from KB's Blues and Freedom not out anywhere

Which is an absolutley fliggin disgwace! :angry:

We insist Freedom ...Now!

Now there is a catchy tune!

• 2 weeks later...

All the tracks from the first two CDs were on US CDs as bonus tracks over the years, but the "Freedom" tracks still a wait reissue - I can't understand why Cuscuna never did this as a Connoisseur. It was him who dug this up for a Japanese LP release, after all.

That's my take also on this confusing (to me) set of recordings.

Thanks for what I believe is a correct clarification.

Well, as Cuscuna aptly remarked, some sessions look good on paper but the results were not as convincing. Like the leftovers released on the "Lost Sessions" Connoisseur CD.

And sometimes so many things were happening that a session, especially if it did not yield enough material for a whole LP, was left in the can in favor of a newer one. Alfred Lion reportedly was very critical.

In the case of Burrell - he recorded for Blue Note, Kapp Verve, Prestige and Cadet during those years (1963-66) which makes me wonder if there were any contract conflicts?

[

Would anyone consider these essential KB sessions or strictly for hard core KB fans?

I have 'Freedom' and 'K.B. Blues' and like them quite a lot. The 'K.B. Blues' is excellent with a terrific lineup.

'Freedom' is more of a mixed bag. Two good sessions, one of them with Seldon Powell, one of my favorite underrated saxophone players!

I have found the covers for the KB Blues and the Swingin for people who ain't seen em yet

these courtesy of Gokudo and the facts above thanks to jazz discography project

Enjoy

The cover of the 'K.B. Blues' I have looks different. It has a dark blue cover with 'K.B. Blues' and Kenny burrell in large yellowish-brown Reid Miles-type letters. There is also a black/white photo of KB in,serted. Cover design by Toshikazu Tanaka!

Would anyone consider these essential KB sessions or strictly for hard core KB fans?

In my opinion, it's probably somewhere in-between. As Brownie suggests, "Freedom" being a mixed bag (two separate sessions, and with a slightly funkier feel) might be generally less essential to hard bop fans, but then again it's high quality stuff. In fact shares some similarity to the "Midnight Blue" date, which has kind of become a default "classic" (I dig M.B. too, but I tend to think it might be slightly overhyped/overrated). "Swingin'" was a nice collection of 50's hard bop material from three different sessions, but as Mike said it's all been out as bonus material on different CD's. "K.B. Blues" (all three of these, in fact) might have achieved a higher reputation if it had been more widely distributed.

Edited by Jim R

Brownie, one thing that may have influenced my thinking (perhaps subconsciously) regarding the two issues of K.B. Blues is that the photo of Burrell on the cover you have was taken later (mid-60's or after) than the period in which the music was recorded. At any rate, there may not have been much of a time difference between the two issues. I'm sure there are other examples of Japanese issues with different covers which were issued within a fairly short time span (GXF vs GXK; King vs Toshiba ? ... my memory of all this is beginning to fail. I sold most of my vinyl, and it's been 25 years since these were issued, after all :blink: ).

Those Kenny Burrell Blue Note sessions are one more opportunity to discuss reissue criteria.

The first Blue Note LP was all from one session, but Vol. 2 had two more tracks from that plus an uncomplete earlier session that had probably intended for 10" Lp release, and a track from a Kenny Dorham live session.

etc. etc.

Those Japanese CDs reissued the LPs as they were instead of completing sessions which was Cuscuna's way with the US reissues. I was glad when that twofer finally gave us the complete sessions on one disc. The other leftovers had been added to the respective CD counterparts. Sound was okay. So what's the use of continuing that scattered release pattern of those Japanese CDs only to keep old LP compilations intact while wasting a lot of CD playing capacity? :wacko:

The complete K.B. Blues LP was reissued as part of the Introducing Kenny Burrell Connoisseur twofer.

Not sure if that's a counter to my point, but when I said ""K.B. Blues" (all three of these, in fact) might have achieved a higher reputation if it had been more widely distributed.", I was suggesting that if the material had been widely distributed (released in the U.S., for starters) at an earlier date (not necessarily approaching the original recording dates, but even at the time they were released in Japan, circa 1980), these albums would have at least had a better chance to compete for status as "essentials" or "classics" in the Burrell discography.

BTW, I'm just accepting their existence as album packages and commenting based on that fact. I see your point about the scattered and disorganized manner of the releases.

Edited by Jim R