AOTW,23rd - 29th.

The Rep

I noticed that Milcho Leviev has a new album due for release on the 29th August, so I got out my copy of Blues For The Fisherman by Milcho Leviev Quartetand it was great. The quartet consists of,

Milcho Leviev - piano,

Art Pepper - alto sax,

Tony Dumas - bass,

Carl Bernett - drums,

I find this a very good album and was pleased I was promted to play it again. I like the way that Milcho and art use each other and at times both instuments could be played by the same musician. Its nice when the music is played by a quartet rather than four individual musicians. So there we are my AOTW is Blues For The Fisherman by Milcho Leviev Quartet.

Edited by The Rep

I noticed that Milcho Leviev has a new album due for release on the 29th August, so I got out my copy of Blues For The Fisherman by Milcho Leviev Quartetand it was great. The quartet consists of,

Milcho Leviev - piano,

Art Pepper - alto sax,

Tony Dumas - bass,

Carl Bernett - drums,

I find this a very good album and was pleased I was promted to play it again. I like the way that Milcho and art use each other and at times both instuments could be played by the same musician. Its nice when the music is played by a quartet rather than four individual musicians. So there we are my AOTW is Blues For The Fisherman by Milcho Leviev Quartet.

I wish I could obtain a CD version of this, it's impossible to find. The CD

also includes some more tracks from the other Milcho Leviev album with

Art Pepper (from the same sessions) - unfortunately not all of them. :(

This was the first vinyl issue by Mole Jazz on their own record label, I recall. Caused a stir at the time and was high up in the UK jazz top-seller charts on release. I can recall that particular week's engagement at Ronnie Scotts being listed in the magazines (didn't get to go).

Edited by sidewinder

I only have the vinyl but will keep a look out for the cd as it has extra tracks.

Cheers.

Those extra tracks are taken from the other Milcho Leviev quartet disc on Mole

called True Blues. As I said, unfortunately the CD doesn't contain all of the two LPs.

Thanks to "The Kindness of Strangers" (any Spock's Beard fans here? :)) I received a CD-R of the Blues for the Fisherman CD today. Woohoo! :D And it sounds EXCELLENT!

This was the last missing major piece of the Art Pepper puzzle within my collection. Time to celebrate! :party:

Let's hope someone reissues this soon, possibly as a 2CD version with all eight tracks from the two LPs!

Let's hope someone reissues this soon, possibly as a 2CD version with all eight tracks from the two LPs!

I think it's very unlikely to get re-released. Both the vinyl and CD versions were released many years ago by 'Mole Jazz' which is the name of a great jazz shop that used to trade in London. However the owner Ed Dipple died some years ago and the shop gradually went downhill until it finally closed a year or so ago. So it is anyone's guess where the masters are now.

There is a similar issue with another recording on Mole Jazz by Bobby Jaspar called 'The Bobby Jaspar Quartet', again recorded at Ronnie Scott's Club, this time in January 1962. When it was re-issued on CD it contained additional tracks from those on the LP but like the Art Pepper some of the tracks on the LP were missing from the CD. Therefore there are some further tracks that could be added to make up a double CD.

However both CDs contain what I consider to be the best tracks from the LPs so is there a problem?

BTW the track 'Make a list, make a wish' from 'Blues for the fisherman' is probably my favourite 'late' Art Pepper track and always reminds me of the time I saw him playing at Ronnie Scott's in the summer of 1980 - the same summer that this recording was made.

• 4 weeks later...

On another board, Laurie Pepper talked about being in posession of the tapes for "Blues For The Fisherman" among others and planned on eventually releasing them. I think she's working on releasing Art's last recording at the 1982 Kool Jazz Festival right now which is supposedly slated for later this year. (?)

Edited by mikelz777

On another board, Laurie Pepper talked about being in posession of the tapes for "Blues For The Fisherman" among others and planned on eventually releasing them. I think she's working on releasing Art's last recording at the 1982 Kool Jazz Festival right now which is supposedly slated for later this year. (?)

Sounds great! I'd buy both of those without thinking about it twice.