AOTW october 1-7

michel devos

When this album was first released on the market in 1970, very little had been done to promote it towards the jazz public...None of the musicians were known, no radio, no press releases that I knew off, just plain nothing and it was pure luck I came across it browsing thru the misc.Keyboards section of a record shop.

The main attraction was the format : organ trio + electric bass and some percussions.Nowadays that sounds pretty common but in Belgium, in 1970, not so many Hammond players records were available, with the exception of Jimmy Smith, Mc Duff and McGriff.

On top of that, the program looked excellent and, after playing this for so many yerars, I feel that was the key factor to an exceptionnally good album.here are the tracks

Cantaloupe Island Herbie Hancock

Quiet village Les Baxter

The look of love Burt Bacharach

Eleanor Rigby Lennon-McCartney

Viva Tirado Gerald Wilson

Sometimes I feel like a motherless child

Hurt so bad

Light my fire Doors

Comin'Home Baby B.Tucker

A mixture of contemporary stuff mixed with traditionals and some pop music, the whole spiced by a slight touch of latino...I was doubtful when playing this for the first time but i still love it 30 years later.

The organ player (Bobby Espinosa) plays a mixture of MCDuff and Mc Griff, with ample use of the Leslie, while the guitar player (Mickey Lespron) evidently listened a lot to Wes Montgomery and sometimes to Jimmy Hendrickx.

The highlights of the programm are definitely Viva tirado and cantaloupe Island : there might be a possibility to download these tracks from E music or another site.

While this album was immensely attractive, it is even more sad to realise that was a one shot and no more...The subsequent work of El chicano never came even close to the level of their debut album, keeping their public happy with a kind of sub Santana production of little interest (at least to me) :crazy: .It looks from their website the original album is going to be available again : in that case, I would strongly recommend it to the attention of all soul jazz organ aficionados. :g

Did any of you guys heard this one..?I''d love to read your comments!

Very interesting pick. Being from Belgium, you probably don't realize that the title track became a moderate-sized pop hit here in the USA, so El Chicano then became recognized as a rock/pop act (like Santana and Malo) rather than a jazz act ("fusion" didn't exist yet as a category, despite the crossover work of Ramsey Lewis and others). And, to be honest, the group's background pointed in that direction anyways. El Chicano then, of course, would try (but fail;) to replicate their pop chart success, losing what made them unique. But I agree with you on the merits of this album, which remains a very enjoyable listen 36 years later.

Very interesting pick. Being from Belgium, you probably don't realize that the title track became a moderate-sized pop hit here in the USA, so El Chicano then became recognized as a rock/pop act (like Santana and Malo) rather than a jazz act ("fusion" didn't exist yet as a category, despite the crossover work of Ramsey Lewis and others). And, to be honest, the group's background pointed in that direction anyways. El Chicano then, of course, would try (but fail;) to replicate their pop chart success, losing what made them unique. But I agree with you on the merits of this album, which remains a very enjoyable listen 36 years later.

Good to know that at least sometimes this group aroused some excitement...That seems not to be the case anymore, looking at the fery few reactions from this forum :beee:

That's a pity, this band was a kind of jazzier version of BookerT and the MG's.Maybe the reason is that album is now completely deleted?If somemembers are genuinely interested, please PM me and see what we can do.

I've had the title track for ages, but I've never heard the whole album. Their version of "Viva Tirado" is a nice compliment to the Gerald Wilson version, pared down instrumentation and a solid, funky groove (it was sampled by corny rapper Kid Frost on his cheeseball song "La Raza"). I'll have to track down the whole album, the track list sounds cool!

Seems this hasn't seen a CD reissue.

The best-of's, including the 20th Century Masters release, will give you the title track and the basic idea. Worthwhile if a cross between early Santana and Booker T. and the MG's sounds good to you (it does to me).

Now that I had a chance to listen to this rare bird (a heartfelt thanks to the donator!) I can only join in and wonder why they didn't try and lean a little more towards the jazz audience. This music is a strange mixture between Booker T. & The M.G.s and Wes Montgomery's Verve sides - Brian Auger did some in that direction on his first LP. But this is a working band with a nice groove, giving its conga player much solo space; I find Viva Tirado by far the best track - I like it better than the Gerald Wilson version, where I like the jazz versions I know of all other tracks better.

Still, one of the best realized Latin organ combo records I have heard.

Edited by mikeweil

I agree, too. A very nice album. Surprising actually that the band was able to get even one good album out, as it was recorded for MCA.

MG

Wasn't MCA yet at that point, I don't think. I think they were on Kapp, which got eaten up in the MCA buyout of the Decca labels. Michel kindly sent me a CD-R of the original album. I have to say that I'll be shelving it in my Rock section rather than my Jazz section. But I'll also be shelving it in my active play shelves. It's really delightful. Best equivalent is Brian Auger and Trinity/Oblivion Express, I would say. Organ player doesn't have Auger's chops, but it's all very tasteful and enjoyable. A cross between Santana and Booker T. and the MG's, as mentioned earlier, isn't a bad description. But think Gregg Rollie on organ and Steve Cropper on guitar, rather than Booker T. Jones and Carlos Santana. Grooving organ/guitar instrumentals of some well-chosen hits of the day and some good jazz tunes. A really nice, fun listen. Not a vocal in sight. Thankfully, no "sweeteners" added (no strings, horns, synths, or background singers), so it has a good, solid, organic feel, like the Booker T, and the MG's did.

I received my copy last night and have listened several times. I love it! Enjoyable start to finish. I really dig the takes on Cantaloupe Island and Eleanor Rigby, besides the title track which I already know well. El Chicano ever loses their groove, this is great party music! Thanks again, Michel! There's something to be said for playing music well even when it is being played simply. I'll play this with the same enthusiasm as I'll play a Meters album or a Booker T & The MG's album. :tup :tup

• 5 months later...