Malachi Thompson Buddy Boldens Rag

JohnS

d29317wiypd.jpg

Sadly I've not kept up with all of the late Malachi Thompson's Delmark releases but the three or four I've heard have all been uniformly excellent and any could have made my choice of aotw. This one is chock full of excellent solos from Thompson and fine solos from most of the rest of the band. The addition of guests, Zane Massey and Ari Brown as well as Lester Bowie (Thompson was a member of Bowies Brass Fantasy) adds some of variety.

Illness during the last few years of his life didn't dim his playing.

If you don't have this particuar cd then let's hear about any other.

Edited by JohnS

It was Lester Bowies Brass Fantasy that put me onto Malachi. I only have one album at the moment Jaz Life.

I love the reason he gives for spelling jaz with one z. All the tracks are good and even the odd one out, Drown In My Own Tears is good. I have not heard Buddy Boldens Rag but I intend to purchase it on your recommendation John.

:lol: I thought Wynton got it from Stanley Crouch, who'd transcribed it for percussion...

Had the pleasure of seeing Thompson play with Fred Anderson and Kidd Jordan at the Velvet Lounge some years back - a fantastic gig - though I haven't investigated any of his CDs. Will have to keep it in mind, though. Zane Massey is always a nice name to have around also.