Do Podcasts Count as Radio?

JSngry

http://helium.lunarpages.com/~funky4/podcasts/radio23_5.mp3

http://funky16corners.wordpress.com/page/2/

radio_23_5.jpg

The Gene Ludwig Trio

Playlist

Leo Valentine Trio – Behind the Out House (Camelia)

Jon Thomas – Hot Tip (Mercury)

The Three Souls – Chittlins Con Carne (Argo)

RD Stokes – My Sandras Jump (II Bro’s)

Dave Baby Cortez – Getting to the Point (Chess)

The Mark III – Jaw Breaker (Night Owl)

The Lloyd Price Band feat. James Booker – Ooh-Pee-Day (Double L)

Dave Davani Four – The Jupe (Capitol)

Brother Jack McDuff – Grease Monkey (Prestige)

Gene Ludwig – The Vamp (Travis)

Big Bubbles & the Soul Brothers – Ginger Snap Pt1 (Raldo)

Luther Randolph & Johnny Stiles – Talkin’ Bout You Pt1 (Harthon)

Leo’s Five – Hold It (L-G)

Freddy Robinson & Paul Hankins- The Hawk (Queen)

Terrell Prude – Frog Eyes (TRC)

Sonny Knight Quartette – Let’s Get It On Pt1 (Aura)

Rhoda Scott Trio – Hey Hey Hey (Tru-Sound)

Charles Kynard – Here Now! (World Pacific)

Greetings, happy Friday and all that mess.

Despite the fact that the official date doesn’t roll around for almost three weeks, I’m here to tell you that summer is upon us, and I’ve decided that the hot weather deserves some hot music.

Before you download today’s special edition of the Funky16Corners Radio podcast, I feel it’s only fair to warn you that ingestion of the audio file at the end of this link can (and will) result in blown minds, singed ears (as well as the area surrounding the ears) and a series of wild, involuntary muscular contractions which may appear to some to be dancing.

That’s right brothers and sisters, the mix you are about to slip into your unsuspecting pod-like device contains 18 slices of the hottest, guh-reeeeeeziest, smokingest old-school Hammond organ sounds you will ever encounter, and if you aren’t prepared to get knocked into the next room, maybe you should go download something safer.

A little while back I posted a hot track by Dave Baby Cortez, which – along with a little coaxing from my man Vincent over at Fufu Stew – inspired me to dip into the Funky16Corners cellars for a long-form smorgasbord of Hammond organ selections, all, how do they say, from the “old school”.

In this case, old school refers to the days of barroom organ combos, who spread the gospel of groove grease all over the American night, so that their followers, sweaty, wild-eyed jukebox nickel and dimers one and all, intox-i-macated by a powerful mixture of cold beer, cocktails, cigarette smoke, lust and musical bliss might make it to through their working week.

While some of the Hammond wranglers herein may be familiar names – some having gone on to fame and fortune as jazzbos and the like – there are more than a few stone solid obscuros that are as powerful as anything the genre has ever offered up.

Things open up with a side from Sacramento, Ca by the Leo Valentine Trio. I don’t know anything about Leo, except for the fact that he made one fine 45, and I have Mr. Nick Rossi (current day Hammond master) for sliding me this 45.

Jon Thomas recorded a number of LPs and 45s for a variety of labels in the 50’s and 60’s. ‘Hot Tip’ which hails from the ‘Big Beat on the Organ’ LP (which actually features a picture of a BEET on an organ keyboard) is by far the craziest (like loony bin crazy) Hammond side I’ve ever come across.

The Three Souls stop by to lay down a wicked cover of Kenny Burrell’s ‘Chittlins con Carne’.

Straight outta Compton…no, not Ice Cube, but the mighty R.D. Stokes, who I am positive burned down whatever studio he recorded ‘My Sandra’s Jump’ in. It’s that hot. Holy shit what a record! I have one other 45 by Stokes, but no matter how good it is it doesn’t come within a mile of this track. JEEBUS!!

If you thought that ‘Hurricane’ was a revelation in the discography of Dave Baby Cortez, you have clearly not experienced the brutal assault of ‘Getting to the Point’. Heavy, heavy stuff.

I’m not sure whether or not the Mark III that recorded ‘Jaw Breaker’ for Night Owl is the same group that recorded for In and Atco as the Mark III Trio. There were definitely at least two organ combos that recorded under that name during the 60’s (one of which featured a young Grover Washington on sax).

The James Booker track hails from a great lost LP recorded under the leadership of none other than Lloyd Price. There are a number of great tracks on the LP (‘This Is My Band’ on Double L) that feature the NOLA keyboard genius to great effect.

The Dave Davani Four were a UK outfit that recorded some outstanding soul jazz in the 60’s. ‘The Jupe’ was their sole US release, on the Capitol label.

Brother Jack McDuff needs no introduction (or at least as one of the truly great organists of the latter half of the 20th century, he shouldn’t), so suffice to say, ‘Grease Monkey’ is a killer.

Gene Ludwig is still wailing on the Hammond in a career that spans almost half a century. ‘The Vamp’ – which features no drums at all – still manages to swing like 60.

I know nothing about Big Bubbles & the Soul Brothers, other than they had a fantastic name, and that ‘Ginger Snap Pt1’ is a killer.

Luther Randolph & Johnny Stiles, in addition to forming a classic guitar/organ duo, were a crucial part of Philadelphia’s Harthon records, as writers, producers and arrangers. They recorded two great 45s for Harthon, one of which was also released on Cameo.

Leo’s Five is another group I know nothing about, other than they recorded for a St. Louis label.

Tall Paul Hankins recorded a number of excellent organ 45s for a variety of labels in the 60’s. ‘The Hawk’, which was recorded for the King Records offshoot Queen, is a duet with guitarist Freddy Robinson.

Terrell Prude was an organist with Ray Charles’s band, and recorded an LP and some excellent 45s for Charles’s TRC label.

Sonny Knight was a vocalist and organist who recorded in a number of settings through the 50’s and 60’s. ‘Let’s Get It On Pt1’ is his finest, grooviest 45, with a great mix of singing and Hammond.

Taking a similar tack was organist Rhoda Scott and her trio. Not sure who the vocalist is here, but the tune ‘Hey Hey Hey’ (clearly a relic of the Twist craze) is a party starter of the first order.

The mix closes out with an absolute BURNER of a track from the legendary Charles Kynard. Kynard recorded for World Pacific in the early 60’s, and the 45 of ‘Here Now!’ b/w ‘Where It’s At’ is one of the great two-siders in my crates. Kynard went on to record some great stuff for Prestige and Mainstream, moonlighting as the organist in Afrique and the Delegates (the Convention 72/Funky Butt Delegates, NOT the Billy Larkin group).

This mix – and I’m only dropping a mixed file this time because these records need to be heard pressed together, like an overflow crowd in some long forgotten cocktail lounge – should be played LOUDLY, whether through your headphones, car speakers or on the olde hi-fi, and experienced under the influence of alcohol, spicy food and the presence of an appealing member of the opposite sex (for the bumping and the grinding).

In fact, if I were you, I’d get a whole bunch of people together (the kind of folks that dig a real good time) and whip it on the bunch of them.

If you’re not sweating when it’s done, I’ll eat my hat.

Rest assured, there’s LOTS more where this came from.

Oh, yes..LOTS more.

Have a great weekend.

Peace

Larry

Edited by JSngry

Pretty good playlist. I hears Sonny Knight's "Let's get it on" in the 60s and have been looking for it ever since - well, really, waiting for my mate to die and leave it to me in his will (but he hasn't got "Belly rub" :D).

I've been watching Larry Grogan for a while, but slipped lately. Thanks for letting me know about this.

MG

OK - after waiting about 25 minutes, the thing starts up. All I get is a long thin thing ( :D) ) which doesn't tell me anything about what's being played. Fortunately, I've got a couple of these tracks so maybe - ah yes, Sonny Cox has just started.

Well, so the real question is, is this it? (Did I shave my legs for this?) Or is there a more souped up version that will tell me what's going on and so on? And maybe work a bit quicker? And maybe allow me to save some of the stuff to my hard drive?

More than one question; sorry to be a bother, but I don't know what I'm doing here... But track 4 is a BITCH!

MG

OK - after waiting about 25 minutes, the thing starts up. All I get is a long thin thing ( :D ) ) which doesn't tell me anything about what's being played. Fortunately, I've got a couple of these tracks so maybe - ah yes, Sonny Cox has just started.

Well, so the real question is, is this it? (Did I shave my legs for this?) Or is there a more souped up version that will tell me what's going on and so on? And maybe work a bit quicker? And maybe allow me to save some of the stuff to my hard drive?

More than one question; sorry to be a bother, but I don't know what I'm doing here... But track 4 is a BITCH!

MG

Go to the second link in the first post; the one that takes you to the Funky16Corners page. You can scroll back through the various shows. For each show you have the choice of listening to or downloading either the one long mp3 file (like in the first link) or download the Zip file. You'll get a folder with mp3's of individual tunes. When I put them in iTunes, they opened with titles and artist names included. Looks like tons of cool stuff from the various shows. Enjoy!

Of course, "we" don't endorse the unauthorized downloading of any copyrighted material such as individual songs.

Podcasts, however, are personalized, digital-era, "broadcasts", like having at your disposal the radio station(s) you always wanted but could never get . You can either let them play like the radio would, or you could "capture" them like an airshot.

Also, any rebroadcast, reproduction, retransmission or other use of the pictures and accounts of this game without the express written consent of Major League Baseball is strictly prohibited.