AotW - Maynard Ferguson - A Message from Birdland

GA Russell

I have the honor of picking the next two AotW's, and the first (for the first two weeks of March) will be The Maynard Ferguson Orchestra's A Message from Birdland on Roulette.

I want to give you a heads up so that those who are interested will have time to order it. It is available from BMG/Your Music; and from CD Universe (using the Big O Link!) for $13.59.

All of it was included in the Mosaic box, if you have that.

I'll plan to start the discussion March 1.

I have the honor of picking the next two AotW's, and the first (for the first two weeks of March) will be The Maynard Ferguson Orchestra's A Message from Birdland on Roulette.

I want to give you a heads up so that those who are interested will have time to order it. It is available from BMG/Your Music; and from CD Universe (using the Big O Link!) for $13.59.

All of it was included in the Mosaic box, if you have that.

I'll plan to start the discussion March 1.

Great choice. I hope some members will take up the opportunity to order this. This has some smokin' big band music for sure. It's ranked as one of Maynard's best by Maynard experts. I have the music as part of the Mosaic set and look forward to giving it another listen. The last time I listened to the Ferguson Mosaic set was right after Maynard died in summer of 2006.

I have not bought a Maynard Ferguson in a few years but do play his stuff often. I keep meaning to get this one and shall do so next week, thanks for the reminder. I would like to say one of my favorites is Maynard ,61. It has a really good sound and some great musicians.

The Rep

post-1762-1203856271_thumb.jpg

I'm going to be away on business next week, so I thought I would jump the gun and start the discussion tonight.

Two things struck me about this album. The first was how much the band sounded like Buddy Rich's PJ band. Very brassy. This was recorded in June of 1959, and Rich's first PJ album was recorded in September of 1966.

Do you notice how many different arrangers there are on this album? Slide Hampton did two standards and an original, Willie Maiden did two, Benny Golson two, and one each by Marty Paich, Don Sebesky and Jimmy Giuffre. I compared that to Rich's first PJ album, and saw that Oliver Nelson did the majority of those. So I wonder if Rich asked Nelson to give him a sound like Maynard's.

The second thing I noticed here was Freddie Dunlop. I'm not particularly familiar with Dunlop's work with Monk (or much of Monk's Columbia recordings for that matter), but Dunlop plays here in a much more showy manner than what I expected. In fact, I would say that Maynard and Dunlop are the two stars of the band.

Maynard was famous for his ability to hit the high notes, but I don't think that what he does here in that regard comes off particularly well. His mid-range playing is much more articulate and pleasant to listen to IMO.

It's interesting that Joe Zawinul got the gig with Maynard just a month after arriving in the US. I wonder if the band's Mosaic box constitutes Joe's first American recordings.

edit - You know I mean Frankie Dunlop!

Edited by GA Russell

It's interesting that Joe Zawinul got the gig with Maynard just a month after arriving in the US. I wonder if the band's Mosaic box constitutes Joe's first American recordings.

I think that Zawinul's first American recording session was w/Dinah Washington, on the session that produced "What A Difference A day Made".

The Marty Paich composition "Lonely Time", which here features Willie Maiden, was recorded by a previous Ferguson orchestra on Live at Peacock Lane three years earlier as "Velvet" with Richie Kamuca taking the solo. Both are 13-piece bands, with identical instrumentation, but the only survivor from the Peacock Lane band who's still there at Birdland is Willie Maiden, apart, of course, from Maynard!

Edited by BillF

The similarly-titled A Message from Newport has been for me an elusive Ferguson album. I've heard tracks from it on jazz radio shows, but have never owned, or even seen, a copy. Has it ever been issued on CD? Anyone own it? How does it compare with the following year's A Message From Birdland?

The similarly-titled A Message from Newport has been for me an elusive Ferguson album. I've heard tracks from it on jazz radio shows, but have never owned, or even seen, a copy. Has it ever been issued on CD? Anyone own it? How does it compare with the following year's A Message From Birdland?

there are some copies of this on ebay, mostly vinyl but also a pricey copy of a 1985 cd...

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Message-From-Newport...1QQcmdZViewItem

there are some copies of this on ebay, mostly vinyl but also a pricey copy of a 1985 cd...

Thanks for the info, Niko!

another boring day at work...

Edited by Niko

another boring day at work...

Retired. Hooray!

The second thing I noticed here was Freddie Dunlop. I'm not particularly familiar with Dunlop's work with Monk (or much of Monk's Columbia recordings for that matter), but Dunlop plays here in a much more showy manner than what I expected. In fact, I would say that Maynard and Dunlop are the two stars of the band.

Maynard was famous for his ability to hit the high notes, but I don't think that what he does here in that regard comes off particularly well. His mid-range playing is much more articulate and pleasant to listen to IMO.

I would have to name Slide Hampton as one of the stars of the band too (I dig his "Mark of Jazz"). The band was in good form and the writing is very good. Benny Golson's piece "Starfire" is a beauty as is his "Night Life". The trombone section is excellent (Hampton and Don Sebesky) and it's good to hear altoist Jimmy Ford getting lots of solo space.

The overall thing I noticed was the "boppish" nature of the music, which is not surprising given that by 1959 bop was the common language of jazz. But I think this is an important point in assessing Maynard's own playing on this album. Maynard played things on the trumpet and played them in a way that no one else could (or at least couldn't before him). Maynard leading a trumpet section (as he does here on Lonely Time) is a thrilling one of a kind sound. But if there's one area where Maynard was more middle-of-the pack it would have been as a bop soloist - certainly good enough but not really in the class of Clifford or Dizzy or Fats. That's why I think Maynard doesn't come across quite as well here as on some other recordings - the best things to showcase his playing are the showpieces like "Ole" and "Maria" rather than the bebop things, on which he is fine, but not really outstanding. In fact, on a piece like "Three More Foxes" I find the playing of the other trumpet soloists, Jerry Tyree and Don Ellis, as effective, if not more so, than MF's. On "Oleo" Maynard spends too much of his solo wailing around in the high register, and it might have been fine to hear live, but gets a bit wearing on disc, especially given the "hot" nature of the recording. Better and more coherent, I think, is his solo on "Sea Isle Stomp". Both Ferguson and his fellow Canadian Oscar Peterson (both born in Montreal 3 years apart) had their roots in the swing era and I think that both had established their basic styles before they really had much exposure to bop. Bop was something they both "grafted on" to their styles rather than the style that they grew up with. Maybe that's why both struggled a bit to feel at completely at home in bop.

Did anyone hear Maynard during the period of this record? I heard him ten years later - in 1969 when he was resident for some time here in Manchester, having formed an alliance with local promoter, club owner and trumpeter, Ernie Garside. Maynard even set up a business manufacturing trumpets and mouthpieces during his stay here! He took over a twelve-man rehearsal band which Garside had formed and I saw them one evening at the Manchester Sports Guild. Maynard's showmanship was sensational and electrified the band, who played like men possessed! I believe they made several records, I think with nationally-known British jazzmen included.

Edited by BillF

• 3 weeks later...

I rarely listen to big bands but Ferguson's band of this period is something else. Fine arrangements by the band members and some pretty good soloists. Big band bop with the much same level of excitement of the Gillespie Big Band imo.

If pressed I'd say I prefer Message From Newport.