Milt Ward (trumpet) - "and Virgo Spectrum" - circa 1976

Rooster_Ties

Just stumbled on this eBay auction (HERE) and this looked interesting, or at least curious.

As obscure as this is, I'm going to cut-n-paste the auction info and images into this thread, since lord knows when anyone is likely to ever see one of these again.

I have no idea who Milt Ward is or was. (I was just doing a search on "Charles Tolliver", and got a match on this item, from Tolliver's name in the description, although he isn't on this date.)

Private Label(?) - Milt Ward SEALED jazz orig

With Strata-East Artist Cecil McBee

Album: Milt Ward and Virgo Spectrum Featuring Carlos Garnett and Cecil McBee

Band Members: Milt Ward, trumpet, flugelhorn; Carlos Garnett, tenor; Bill Pierce, tenor and soprano sax; Eddie Alex, alto and flute; Glenn Barbour, baritone sax; Delmar Brown, electric and acoustic pianos; Coucho Martinez, Fender bass; Cecil McBee, acoustic bass; Ignacio Mena, percussion; Hugh Peterson, drums.  [Note: Carlos Garnett played with Miles Davis and Art Blakely, among others.]

["A masterful bassist with an authoritative sound and a thoughtful but adventurous style, Cecil McBee uplifts every session he is on. [.....] Relocating to New York in 1964, McBee worked and recorded with many top advanced players including Jackie McLean, Wayne Shorter, Charles Tolliver, the Charles Lloyd Quartet (1966), Yusef Lateef, Sam Rivers, Pharoah Sanders, Alice Coltrane, Abdullah Ibrahim, Sonny Rollins and Chico Freeman among many others. Among his associations in the 1980s were McCoy Tyner, James Newton, Joanne Brackeen and (from 1984) the Leaders. Cecil McBee has led his own sessions for Strata East (1974), Enja, India Navigation and Palmetto." -- Scott Yanow, All-Music Guide]

Label: This is a private label East Coast issue, probably New York area. There is no indication on the cover what label this is. I have not been able to find any information on this record.

Date: Unknown (embedded in tiny print on the front cover art is the cover artists name and "Copyright '76" so I'm guessing this came out sometime around then)

Condition: This is a SEALED original of a release on a private label. This is obviously a rare record because I can't find any information about it. It does feature Cecil McBee who played on some Strata-East releases. It was purchased with a collection of avant-garde jazz from the late 60s - early 70s (including a sealed Strata-East record - see my other auction). The shink/seal is totally intact all around. The cover is in nearly perfect condition, the corners are sharp. The cover is at least a Mint-. The record of course is, to the best of my knowledge, mint.

What's the story on this?? Is this listed in any of the heavy duty discographies?? I don't plan to bid on it, but being that he's a trumpeter - and that this is described in the auction as being "Avant-Garde" - I couldn't help but be curious. (Although who knows if that description is in any way accurate, or what the heck kind of "Avant-Garde" it really is.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Of course, my first question should have been "Who's Milt Ward???" :huh:

I don't have the 'Tom Lord' discog, the but on-line session totals for Ward only list a total of 2 dates (Source).

He appears to be on this Fathead album too...

David Newman Sextet with Horns and Strings

Jimmy Owens, Milt Ward (tp) Earl McIntyre (tb) Kenneth Harris (fl) Babe Clarke (ts) David Newman (ts, as, ss, fl) Clarence Thomas (bars) Sanford Allen, Regis Iandiorio, Kathryn Kienke, Harry Lookofsky, Yoko Matsuo, Gene Orloff, Stan Pollock, Anthony Posk (vln) Alfred Brown, Linda Lawrence (vla) Kermit Moore (vlc) Pat Rebillot (key) Jay Graydon (g) Abe Laboriel (el-B) Idris Muhammad (d) Bill Summers (per, cga) William Fisher (arr)

Berkeley, CA & NYC, November, 1977

Knocks Me Off My Feet Pr. P 10104

Save Your Love for Me -

Blues for Ball -

Dance of the Honey Bee and the Funky Fly -

Distant Lover -

Concrete Jungle -

Sun Seeds - 

* Concrete Jungle / David Newman (Pr. P 10104)

Also, I found one other on-line reference to the "private pressing" album in the auction...

Milt Ward & Virgo Spectrum: s/t LP (Twin Quest)

Spiritual Jazz Dollar Bin Miracle pt. 1: Here's some private press rhodes fusion jazz featuring Sam Rivers alum Cecil McBee on bass. Pretty nice record, pretty horrible hand-drawn cover and lists for about $65 on this jap list: http://www.recordcollectors.co.jp/list/scj.html

Would appear the "label" is something called "Twin Quest" maybe?? Description is "fusion"-ish.

Here's the back cover...

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks, Michael. Still currious about this date, so if anyone ever has access to this LP -- I'd love a burn sometime.

Hey couw --- any chance you could photoshop those skewed pics (above) of the front and back covers into regular square images, with the perspective fixed, and the glare toned down???

No reason, really (since I don't even have a copy of the date). Just curious how easily these images could be cleaned up into something more respectable. You know, something I could slip into a jewel-box, were I ever to get a burn of this date. Thanks!!!

-- Rooster T.

• 5 months later...

Of all things, I just found a full-length audio track from this album, on-line. :cool:

It's on THIS PAGE (www.freischwimmen.de), in the middle of a real-audio stream that's two hours and twenty minutes long. Click on the link (above), and do a page-search for the phrase "Milt Ward", then click on the link above the play-list where the Ward tune shows up (named "Mr. Cheese"). Here's the complete entry...

2005/07/09 

jazzcrate session! check this special with jazzdigger extraordinaire stephan buchmann, banned on hd

on the 5th of July. Recordings crashed after the first hour (never ever happened), but still the living library managed to do another 140min of deep jazz to save your day, playlist up soon.

FSWM - 05/07/05 - "special jazzcrate session with Stephan Buchmann" Buster Williams - Noble Ego - Muse

McCoy Tyner - Going Home - Blue Note

Ahmad Jamal - Spanish Interlude - Twentieth Century Fox

Walter Bishop Jr - For Those Who Chant - Black Jazz

Bobby Hutcherson - Herzog - Blue Note

Lee Morgan - Suicide City - Blue Note

Gary Bartz - Libra - Milestone

Billy Harper -Believe, For What It`s True - Baystate

Walter Bishop Jr - Summertime - Black Jazz

Peter Trunk - ? - Spiegelei

Milt Ward and Virgo Spectrum - Mr. Cheese - Twin Quest (Private Press)

Ahmad Jamal - Eclipse - Twentieth Century Fox

Leroy Vinnegar - Funny Time - Legend

McCoy Tyner - Asante - Blue Note

Bobby Hutcherson - Shame Shame - Blue Note

Ahmad Jamal - Swahililand - Twentieth Century Fox

Peter Trunk - ? - Spiegelei

Buster Williams - The Hump - Muse

That, or else maybe THIS LINK (monofunk.net/download/jazzcrate.ram) might work directly.

The Ward track "Mr. Cheese" (from this album) appears to begin shortly after the 1:11:30 mark (where there is a cross-fade from the prior track). Ward's solo begins a few seconds after 1:14:45 (and it's not at all a half-bad solo :cool: ), and the track ends shortly before 11:17:45.

Note: You can use the real-player scroll thingy to go directly to the beginning of the track (at 1:11:30).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Crap, got outbid on this LP just now. :(

24 hours ago there weren't ANY bids. I set up my snipe-bid, and there still weren't any bids as of this morning. Then one. Then a whole bunch of other snipe-bids at the last second.

link: Milt Ward And Virgo Spectrum Progressive Jazz LP

Went for $63, and I'd only go as high as $55.55.

SBAY8031.jpg

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 2 weeks later...

Found and GOT another one!!!

CLICK HERE

14_1.JPG

From the auction descript...

"Cover has a bit of transparent tape on top & bottom seam, VG+ to VG++

LP itself, NM-"

Can't wait!! :cool:

PS: Got it for $31 plus $5 shipping. The only other three or four auctions of this LP (that I've seen in a couple yeras), have all gone for $60 or more.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Sounds pretty darn good to me (at least this one track).

Listen for yourself...

That, or else maybe THIS LINK (monofunk.net/download/jazzcrate.ram) might work directly.

The Ward track "Mr. Cheese" begins shortly after the 1:11:30 mark (where there is a cross-fade from the prior track).

Ward's solo begins a few seconds after 1:14:45 (and it's not at all a half-bad solo :cool: ), and the track ends shortly before 11:17:45.

Note:  You can use the real-player scroll thingy to go directly to the beginning of the track (at 1:11:30). or a few seconds before.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, this e-mail I just sent to Spontooneous tells the story...

Hey Spontoon...

Was over at a buddy's house this afternoon, where he kindly had a turntable with which I gave the Milt Ward a spin.

Heard about 40% of it (at least 2-3 minutes of every tune), and it's AT LEAST as good as the Marcus Belgrave "Gemini" disc. EVERYTHING I was hoping for, and then some - and maybe then some more. (And maybe even a little more than that, and then perhaps just a bit more, and then just a dash more even yet - for good measure.) And get this -- the cut we heard on-line isn't even the LP's best tune!!

Your Dusty Groove debt with me is officially on hold so you can put every dime you have towards getting your rig fixed, so you can burn this puppy for the both of us - ASA(F)P. It'll rock your world.

-- Rooster

PS: Where can I send the "get well soon" cards for your turntable and/or pre-amp?? If it's that audio place on the south-bound half of the Trafficway, around 45th street -- I could even quit my job and start picketing night and day out in front of the place, until your equipment is fixed. Whatever it takes, I'm prepared to help in any way I can.

This Milt Ward LP is officially DA BOMB of the year in my book. :tup:tup:tup

PS: The link to the ReadAudio clip with one full-length track from this album still works. Look up above this a few posts for the link.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

• 14 years later...
2 hours ago, Rooster_Ties said:

$285, with 14 hours left to go...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MILT-WARD-VIRGO-SPECTRUM-Self-Titled-TWIN-QUEST-LP-VG/313271029400

Edit: this is not my copy for sale — I’m not turning loose of mine!

https://www.popsike.com/Milt-Ward-Virgo-Spectrum-Super-Rare-Private-Press-Spiritual-Jazz-Lp-Sealed/254471926930.html

• 1 year later...

Alas, no CD, but this can be had as a legit (licensed) vinyl reissue now (as of just a couple weeks ago) -- or as a legit download (for only $7)

Hell of an album, carpe diem!!

https://frederiksbergrecords.bandcamp.com/album/milt-ward-virgo-spectrum

Dusty Groove seemed to have had one or more copies on vinyl (but they’re currently out of stock) -- which is how I even knew of the existence of this reissue.

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/116324

For posterity, here's the DG verbiage...

• A hell of a spiritual jazz session from trumpeter Milt Ward – a relatively obscure player who worked on the same 70s Boston underground scene as Stanton Davis – a friend of Milt's and a good comparison to the sound of this one rare album! The vibe is a bit like that of Davis' Ghetto Mysticism – spiritual jazz, but delivered with a soulful focus throughout – tunes that still have plenty of room for strong solos, but also groove a bit too – all instrumental, and served up by a tremendous lineup that includes the great Carlos Garnett on tenor, plus Bill Pierce on soprano and tenor, Delmar Brown on electric and acoustic piano, Cecil McBee on bass, and Ignacio Mena on percussion! There's a very special spirit to the record – a set that's not just rare, but a rare breed of wonderful – with titles that include "The Charle", "Virgo Paths", "Juneboy's Frismas", "Mr Cheese", and "Morning Glories".

Hell, as long as I'm posting that for posterity, here's the description of the album (and Ward) from the Bandcamp page too...

• It seemed trumpeter/composer Milton Ward had all he needed for a breakthrough in the world of contemporary jazz in the late 1970s. Blessed with a beautiful trumpet tone and an impressive work ethic, Ward found a home in Boston’s exploding soul and jazz scenes of the early 1970s. His star never joined the constellation of jazz luminaries, but Ward did leave one fantastic album of spiritual jazz that has become a collectors’ favorite: Milt Ward and Virgo Spectrum.

Frederiksberg Records is proud to present the first and only authorized reissue of this funky jazz classic. The release includes remastered tracks from the original LP along with in-depth liner notes that provide a detailed account of Ward’s journey from his early years discovering music in the South to his toils finding a hold in the music business in Boston and New York City.

Born in Michigan but raised in New Orleans, Ward came up through the Crescent City’s legendary musical education system. After a stint in the Air Force, Ward and his friend Stanton Davis (of Ghetto/Mysticism fame) looked to the Berklee College of Music in Boston for the next step in their development. Immediately, the two were immersed in Boston’s busy music scene, finding trumpet chairs in Herschel Dwellingham’s Orchestra at the Sugar Shack, where they backed up many of the day’s soul greats.

Ward worked with many up-and-coming musicians emerging from Berklee’s nurturing arms. He recruited many to his projects, including his Ultra Modern Quintet Plus Two, which played regularly around Boston in the early 1970s. It was in the mid-1970s that Ward took it upon himself and his entrepreneurial spirit to start his own record label, Twin Quest, and record his stand-alone release.

Milt Ward and Virgo Spectrum brought together great young musicians who would quickly make names for themselves within the jazz world, including keyboard wizard Delmar Brown and future Jazz Messenger saxophonist Billy Pierce. Saxophonist/flutist Eddie Alex is a standout, as is baritone saxophonist Glenn Barbour, who soon would head to Atlanta to join The Whole Darn Family. Percussionist Ignacio Mena, bassist Cucho Martinez, and drummer Hugh Petersen all hailed from farther south: Chile, Venezuela, and St. Croix, respectively. The recording also incorporated two bona fide New York jazz masters and veterans of the spiritual jazz movement, bassist Cecil McBee and saxophonist Carlos Garnett.

The recording still stands as a hallmark to the creative music scene of Boston and New York City when soul and funk began to emmesh themselves in jazz. Milton Ward’s Milt Ward and Virgo Spectrum remains a youthfully vibrant recording that is ripe for rediscovery by a new generation of explorative listeners.

credits

released May 6, 2022

Alto Saxophone, Flute – Eddie Alex
    Baritone Saxophone – Glenn Barbour
    Bass – Cecil McBee
    Drums – Hugh Peterson
    Electric Bass [Fender] – Coucho Martinez
    Electric Piano, Piano, Synthesizer – Delmar Brown
    Illustration, Art Direction – J.M. Wilson
    Percussion – Ignacio Mena
    Photography By – Harold Emerson
    Tenor Saxophone – Carlos Garnett