Jazz tunes that should be played insanely LOUD

Big Al

Senor Carlos - McCoy Tyner

That's a great song that I saw Mr. Tyner play live (nice and loud) a number of times, with Gary Bartz/John Blake/John Lee/Wilbey Fletcher and with Avery Sharpe/Louis Hayes.

Hi kh1958 - I envy you - I'm afraid I've not heard Mr Tyner play it live but I've got it with him performing it live with Avery Sharpe and Louis Hayes on the opening track of a second hand CD I found recently "McCoy Tyner - Live at the Musicians Exchange Cafe, Fort Lauderdale, USA" (1987). You weren't there were you?

Edited by Phil Meloy

Steve Lacy: School Days

Especially the track 2 "Brilliant Corners". I always crank up the volume up to rather unbearable level :) when I'm listening to that track.

Chick Corea's Spain and some other tracks are always make me to turn up the volume level...

Oh...how did I forget...

All those Dolphy's Five Spot albums. Listening to The Prophet at low volume level is crime ;)

Edited by Swinger

ASK THE AGES - must be played at lease losing volumn so you can hear how many times Laswell everdubbed(sic) Sharrock and so you get the full effect of Pharogh clearing his throat thru his horn. And Elvin!

I would add that I rarely play anything v. lound any more and that I don't find most jazz particularly suited to any volume above 'loud enuff to hear everything'. It's both a matter of the engineering/recording and the music its self.

Edited by danasgoodstuff