cannonball-addict

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ingrid Laubrock has a new release on Intakt that will be my next order:

Now touring the UK !

Ingrid Laubrock Tour

I'll see if I can get to that gig in Exeter.

They'll play Zurich as well but I think I'll miss it - too much going on, and there are some other concerts I want to catch, like young Romanian-Swiss singer Elina Duni, and also (off topic) Zim Ngqawana, the South African sax player.

Nathalie Loriers is a remarkable pianist and composer from Belgium.

Visit her website.

Loriers is mighty fine, agreed!

And as a small side note: that type you're using, hepcat, is incredibly hard to read on the web, even for rather young eyes as mine. Sans-serif is better, and the italics make it worse, too... sorry for that nagging, but I've wanted to say that for a loooong time :)

Have to add a new name to the list. Dutch trumpet player Saskia Laroo who plays brilliantly next to the great Teddy Edwards in a Dutch album 'Sunset Eyes 2000' I just purchased.

And very pretty too!

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&a...l=A0v63tr3ekl5x

Ernie Andrews also sings on several tracks of the CD.

'Lady Miles Davis of Europe’

http://www.saskialaroo.nl/wb/

In January, 1954, Leonard Feather brought his Jazz Club USA troupe to Copenhagen. Billie Holiday, Red Norvo, Buddy DeFranco, and others, including pianist Beryl Booker's trio. Beryl's bassist was Bonnie Wetzel and the drummer was Elaine Leighton. I arranged a jam session and we introduced our distinguished visitors to Danish open-faced sandwiches as well as the beer and aquavit that goes with them. It was interesting to see that the women handled aquavit much better than the men, and I didn't see them holding back. I later met Elaine again, when she came (with trumpeter Norma Carson) to entertain the troops in Iceland. Here are Elaine (left) and Bonnie enjoying our hospitality.

ElaineLeighton-BonnieWetzel.jpg

...And as a small side note: that type you're using, hepcat, is incredibly hard to read on the web, even for rather young eyes as mine. Sans-serif is better, and the italics make it worse, too... sorry for that nagging, but I've wanted to say that for a loooong time :)

Thanks for your comment on typefaces though being the first and only one who complains about my use of Book Antiqua. That's an interesting topic, and it's a heavily debated issue on the web.

I use Verdana for my own website Miles & More.

But when I started working on the website of Joe Fonda I sent a selection of fonts (serif and sans serif) to Joe, and he finally chose Times New Roman as his preferred font.

When I started to work on my Charlie Mariano Tribute I thought about this topic again and finally decided to use Book Antiqua for this site.

Maybe it's also a generation thing. I was born in 1950, and I grew up with books and newspapers printed in serif fonts. Hence I'm accustomed to those typefaces. Though I chose Verdana for my own site. I don't have any problems with neither of them.

It might also depend on the type of computer screen. Though I got rid of my huge 19" tube just recently replacing it by a fine 22" Samsung SyncMaster 223BW (€219.00!!!) and I'm fully satisfied.

No offense! As long as you're the only one to complain I'll stick with Book Antiqua. :)

1001803.jpg

Tineke Postma (1978) started playing the saxophone, flute and piano at the age 9.

After finishing her Bachelor's Degree in jazz music, she graduated Cum Laude in June 2003 from the masters program at the Conservatory of Amsterdam.

During her masters study Tineke received two scholarships for studying at the Manhattan School of Music where she studied with Dick Oatts, David Liebman and Chris Potter.

http://www.tinekepostma.com/

Edited by Cyril

And as a small side note: that type you're using, hepcat, is incredibly hard to read on the web, even for rather young eyes as mine. Sans-serif is better, and the italics make it worse, too... sorry for that nagging, but I've wanted to say that for a loooong time :)

I must admit, the "Book Antiqua" font just makes me skip Hepcat's posts.

Maybe it's also a generation thing. I was born in 1950, and I grew up with books and newspapers printed in serif fonts. Hence I'm accustomed to those typefaces. Though I chose Verdana for my own site. I don't have any problems with neither of them.

It might also depend on the type of computer screen. Though I got rid of my huge 19" tube just recently replacing it by a fine 22" Samsung SyncMaster 223BW (€219.00!!!) and I'm fully satisfied.

No offense! As long as you're the only one to complain I'll stick with Book Antiqua. :)

I'm fine with the fonts/typefaces either way. But I'm curious as to why you post in italics. Are you trying to add emphasis to every word? :unsure:

(apologies for the thread derailment...)

Guest Bill Barton

Guitarist Mary Halvorson is remarkable. I've been enjoying some of her recordings with Anthony Braxton's Diamond Curtain Wall trio and quartet recently, as well as those in duo with Jessica Pavone, and am looking forward to checking out the Crackleknob group with Reuben Radding and Nate Wooley. In certain circles she's far from "unknown" but deserves more recognition.

...I'm fine with the fonts/typefaces either way.

So am I.

But I'm curious as to why you post in italics. Are you trying to add emphasis to every word? :unsure:

Well, using font-style:normal for your posts you use font-style:italic to add emphasis to a word. What finally adds emphasis to a word is the fact that its font-style is different from the surrounding text.

I do it the other way around. I use font-style:italic for the text, and I switch to font-style:normal to add emphasis to a word - or I just use font-weight:bold. It's as simple as that.