Newb: what's the deal with Mosaic?

Don´t believe any of the guys posting above...

MOSAIC SETS ARE DA SHIT

:D

If you´d become a Mosaic-addict, prepare yourself to spend tons of dollars purchasing sets and sets from their website...

If you´d become a Mosaic-superaddict, prepare yourself to have a second mortgage trying to collect OOP sets from members of this board or on e-bay...

This will ruin your budget... and even could ruin your marriage (in case you have a wife)... B)

So, don´t believe them. AVOID MOSAIC SETS!!!!!!!!!

PS: now I´ll go and listen to my last two purchases, the Morgan/Shorte Vee Jays and the HRS sets... then I´ll head for disc 3 of the OOP Sam Rivers set I recently purchased from a member of this board.

Don't forget to talk to your wife once a day. :unsure:

Don´t believe any of the guys posting above... 

MOSAIC SETS ARE DA SHIT

:D

If you´d become a Mosaic-addict, prepare yourself to spend tons of dollars purchasing sets and sets from their website...

If you´d become a Mosaic-superaddict, prepare yourself to have a second mortgage trying to collect OOP sets from members of this board or on e-bay...

This will ruin your budget... and even could ruin your marriage (in case you have a wife)...  B)

So, don´t believe them. AVOID MOSAIC SETS!!!!!!!!! 

PS: now I´ll go and listen to my last two purchases, the Morgan/Shorte Vee Jays and the HRS sets... then I´ll head for disc 3 of the OOP Sam Rivers set I recently purchased from a member of this board.

Don't forget to talk to your wife once a day. :unsure:

Right :w , so she can order the next set for you :g

a few observations to the newbies to mosaic. first, immediately check out the "running low" link to see if there are any sets there that interest you. particularly if the sets have moved from "running low" to "last chance-" that generally means they are going like hotcakes. may only last a couple days when they move from the former to the latter. you can call and find out how many sets are left if you want. second, some of the regular mosaic sets are available in e and brock and mortar stores. this means you might find them discounted online or if you walk into a borders store for instance. typically, mosaic lets you know if a set is available in a store in their catalogues. a good time to check is the summer when towers has a 50% off sale. the other side of that story is that these sets might not commend as much money on resale. also, since some sets are avaiable through retail outlets-out of print sets may be found through such outlets, i.e, the ellington reprise is still probably available online from sources other than mosaic even though it is officially out of print (This summer I picked up the nat king cole at a major national distributor's sale-it has been out of print for five years). get on the mosaic mailing list on the web site-once in a blue moon (every couple years) they might have a 10% off sale or a sale combined with their trueblue distribution company that will make it worthwhile to buy at that time (they also announce these in their catalogues). there are other types of "inside" information you can cull from this board-like those sets which have been "ripped off" by other labels or which portion of a mosaic set has been reissued in other forms (i.e., herbie nichols (blue note), grant green with sonny clark (blue note), paul desmond (rca victor?), chet baker pacific jazz live dates (individual discs over time)). Also, mosaic sometimes has "partial" sets available-if an out of print set woudl have interested you, you might partially assuage your disapointment by buying the left over individual discs. oh, by the way, if you get hooked=don't blame it on this board. The board adminsitrator has reputedly taken out special liability insurance in order to cover such a possiblity. I have been buying mosaic sets since the early nineties and have rarely been disappointed in any of the sets that I have bought-and only then because of the high standards that mosaic has set. I can still remember debating about spending the money for the larry young set, not being familiar with his music at that time since, at that point in time (1992 plus or minus), blue note did not have any of this music out in circulation other than perhaps the releases done with grant green. man, what a feeling hearing unity for the first time. and then there was the buddy defranco set-hearing this clarinet soaring over sonny clark's piano. more recently I had somewhat the same experience when listening to the the capitol set.

I have been a Mosaic addict since early 2001. I liked the first sets bought so much that I was/am determined to get every in-print* and subsequent releases, and I've not been disappointed with any set acquired so far. The sound quality and choice of artists and recordings are mostly good to excellent. Packaging of the regular sets is bulky (as it is with most box sets) but that's a minor concern. My only grouse is not buying the Jimmy Giuffre and Bud Shank sets when they were in print. :angry:

(* except the Four Freshmen of course :P and maybe the Johnny Smith)

With Mosaic sets, I've been introduced to artists whom I'd never heard of before or would have even considered listening to. In terms of cost, $16/17 per disc may seem pricey, but if you consider that there's often more than 1 album's worth of material per disc, it really is cheaper than a single disc release by many other labels. Plus, once they go OOP, many of the recordings are unlikely to be released again, at least not for a very long time. E.g. the recordings on the Commodore label. The other great aspect of Mosaic is that they offer a broad range of recordings from the classic jazz of Bix and Tram to the avant garde of Sam Rivers.

I'll agree with Cliff Peterson on scouting for bargains from online or bricks & mortar stores. These retailers sometimes sell Mosaics, I believe it's always Capitol material, and if you wait, you may even get them at nice discounts. I've bought the June Christy/Peggy Lee and Gene Krupa/Harry James both at quite large discounts. I even chanced upon an OOP Stan Kenton 40s set also at a discount - now THAT was a very happy find indeed. ^_^

In short, my music-listening horizons have been greatly broadened and enriched by Mosaic.......but how the pocketbook suffers. :blink:

Don't forget to talk to your wife once a day.  :unsure:
Right :w , so she can order the next set for you :g

You *have* to talk to her at least once a day so you can carefully plan for the arrival of your next Mosaic shipment.... :w

Exactly. Practice these phrases, and remember, pronunciation is the key...

"What was that noise in the backyard, dear?"

"Did you see that $100 I dropped in the bedroom?"

"Honey? I think the cat is stuck in something in the basement!"

Whatever it takes to get her out of view of the porch when you hear that Airborne truck pulling up... :ph34r:

Mmmm, the old "Lie to my wife for me" scenario. That's the worst! Slightly away from the topic of Mosaics, but....I have a friend who buys musical gear compulsively and has asked me to tell his wife that I gave it to him for working for me. At least when I said "no", he understood.