Doing a jazz compilation.

I've made so many cd compilations that I've actually given away two shoeboxes snugly full of cdrs in slim jewel cases to a few friends--so that I could start the whole compilation process over and place the tracks in different sequences. Is it OCD yet? :wacko::eye::g

I've made so many cd compilations that I've actually given away two shoeboxes snugly full of cdrs in slim jewel cases to a few friends--so that I could start the whole compilation process over and place the tracks in different sequences. Is it OCD yet? :wacko::eye::g

You and me both.

I love putting together compilations.

I have dozens of comps saved as playlists in iTunes so I can burn them off anytime I want. Usually they are thematic (favorite piano solos, early avant-garde, vibes in the early-60s, the origins of famous hip hop samples, etc). Other times, they are collections I put together for folks who don't have any of this shit so I go basic.

Other times, they are collections I put together for folks who don't have any of this shit so I go basic.

I do that a lot too--the chicks dig it!

I had a friend of a friend pay me $20 for three cdr comps. I said I'd give them to him for free since they were cdrs, but he insisted on paying. :huh:

I had a friend of a friend pay me $20 for three cdr comps. I said I'd give them to him for free since they were cdrs, but he insisted on paying

I wouldn't say that too loudly. The walls have ears you know. :ph34r:

The record industry is already pissed enough that you copied it, and selling it is over the top even for proponents of music swapping. They might just make an example of you! :bwallace:

Funny you should ask.

I just put one together this evening for a younger colleague at work who wanted to hear some interesting saxophone music. This is what fell together. Named by the saxophonists rather than the leaders:

1. Stan Getz (ts) - Manha de Carnival (1962)

2. Charlie Parker (as) - Ornithology (1946)

3. Sonny Rollins (ts) - To a Wild Rose (1974)

4. Gianluigi Trovesi (as) - Verano (1998)

5. Jan Garbarek (ts, fl) - Nimbus (1975) - [Ralph Towner's 'Solstice']

6. Ben Webster (ts) - My One and Only Love (1956) - [Art Tatum]

7. Lester Young (ts) - When You’re Smiling (1938) [Teddy Wilson, Billie Holiday]

8. Hank Mobley (ts) and John Coltrane (ts) - Someday My Prince Will Come (1961) [Miles]

9. John Surman (ss) - Tess (1983) [Miroslav Vitous]

10. Jackie McLean (as), John Handy (as), Booker Ervin (ts), Pepper Adams (bs) - Moanin’ (1960) [Mingus]

11. Iain Ballamy (ts) - Danny Boy (2004)

12. Wayne Shorter (ts) - El Gaucho (1966)

13. Coleman Hawkins (ts) – Crazy Rhythm (1937)

14. Evan Parker (ss) – Variation Four (2000)

No attempt at making any historic point. Just 14 tracks that seemed to go nicely together and provide a way in for a newbie. Track 14 might be a bit of a shock but it's less than two minutes long!

Still haven't decided what to include in a compilation. Someone at work asked me to make a CD of jazz tunes. Most likely will span in the 50's through 60's. Some Lee Morgan, Horace Silver, Art Blakey, Jimmy Smith, Sonny Stitt. Any others I should include? This person is a musician. He plays bass.