Make a donation, new technology

wesbed

Every now and then the MySQL protocols get messed up. I'm not sure why. When I get back to Michigan I'm going to talk to Ken about some issues, including that one. The slow-down issues seem to be related to how many people are on at one time. If there is someway to get better bandwidth and thus have more people on at the same time with no slow-downs, I would seriously consider that.

While I would love to have donations, I don't know what my options are yet and what it would cost other than getting my own server through The Chain (right now we share a server with many other websites that The Chain hosts) which Ken said would cost $80 per month. That's $960 a year, which is a lot of money for me and I wouldn't expect to get all of that through donations. And I'm not about to charge people for this website. That is the mark of doom for a forums.

The good thing is that in all the downtime we've had in the 15 months we've been around, we've never lost any data. Ken and The Chain have excellant back-up servers and data protection. I also manually back up the data base every Sunday.

After I talk to Ken I will consider putting an unobtrusive "donation" button somewhere up top for those who want to contribute something. It'll probably just be a paypal link or something, with no set value that you have to donate. It could be a penny or $1,000,000 (yeah baby!).

B3-er, from what I know of sql Im very sure that this whole mess is server side and nothing to do with the invision system.

I guess we could set up a new linux server in my basement for organissimo...then we could all play on my not-quite-T1-cable connection. You think this board is slow now! :rsmile:

Wesbed I did not take it as a negative towards myself personally and if I gave that impression I'm sorry that was not my intent and even if I did take it as a negative personally I would take the issue up with Mr. Ricci.

I took it more as a diss towards our board as a whole but I was satisfied by the explanations JSngry offered up in a subsequent post that this really wasn't the case.

As far as I'm concerned if USE and B3-er wish to work with Ricci on a technological upgrade of our board that's between them and I have no problem with whatever they decide along those lines one way or the other. If B3-er and USE need any help from this board in regards to technological upgrades as a board member I'll help however I can because I do appreciate this service.

Hope that clears everything up if not I'll try again.

Hope that clears everything up if not I'll try again.

Yes, but there is really nothing to clear up. I just didn't want you to think I was 'taking aim' at you because I quoted your text in my post about your comment concerning Mike Ricci. I wanted to state, at the begining of my post, that my words were not meant as anything negative toward you. Some people can get really defensive (and really quickly!). You had nothing to defend yourself from and I wanted you to now that up front. :)

In addition to JSngry's post, I felt it necessary to make certain that nobody from the Organissimo board had the belief that Mike Ricci had said something in bad taste about b3-er or the Organissimo board. I didn't want my words about Mike Ricci to be taken out of context. I've learned how fast out-of-context words can spread between the two jazz boards. I didn't want to be the source of incorrect rumors. I've seen too many things spread between the two boards, creating badwill when no badwill was intended.

Edited by wesbed