Art Ensemble of Chicago new release

John B

The AEC has a new live double cd available directly through their website for $25.

bluestrad.jpg

CD 1

Erika (JJ)/Carefree (RM) 22:38

Blues for Zazen (JJ) 21:22

Tin Pan Alley (Chicago Beau) 12:23

CD 2

The Blues (Chicago Beau) 7:23

Hoochie Coochie Man (Willie Dixon) 12:17

Night Time is the Right Time (Leroy Carr) 9:31

Odwalla (RM) 5:55

Got My Mojo Workin' (Preston Foster, McKinley Morganfield) 5:49

Recorded in performance, July 7th. 1993, Geneva - Switzerland

Lester Bowie, Joseph Jarman, Roscoe Mitchell, Malachi Favors and Don Moye with Chicago Beau - harmonica, vocal, Amina Claudine Meyers - organ, vocal; Frank Lacy - trombone; James Carter - tenor saxophone; Herb Walker - guitar.

This one looks like it could be very interesting. Has anyone here heard this yet?

Edited by John B

Saw this band live in London, my first aquaintance with James Carter. The music was probably okay but it was hard to tell due to the awful sound at the Union Chapel.

Thanks for the link Gary, withouit it I'd have missed the show.

• 8 months later...

Joseph Jarman has a goddaughter named Erika - seems safe to assume he wrote the tune (tune 1, CD 1) for her. I went with the selfsame Erika to see the AECO on their Third Decade tour when they hit Portland, OR in - what was it - 1988?. Though I'd been listening to that brilliant record daily for months and pretty much knew every note on it, it still surprised me when I floated about 15 feet above my chair for the entire concert.

Afterwards we went backstage and met Mr. Jarman, who looked at me and said: "It's so wild to play a show like that and then come off stage to your manager saying, 'I want you to meet this producer and that agent...'"

Edited by Elis