New Brubeck Box-"For All Time"

Sound Quality: very very good.

Liner notes: didn't inspire me to read the new ones. . .yet! I've been in a "liner notes, shminer notes" mood the last half a year or so. Just not into reading them with any gusto.

Music: Some very cool stuff. Just wish "Bossa Nova USA" had been differently titled so that it could have been included; one of my very favorites! . . . "Bossa Nova TIME USA" maybe? :)

I'm beyond the initial stage as I've had it for a few months.

Love the music, love the sound quality.

Rather than a true box though I think of it more as a budget priced collection of 5 albums. But that's OK by me, as it helps save another $20 or so to go towards a real box set. :)

Are the original covers on the individual CDs?  And is the sound quality of previously available ones like "Time Out" really better on this set?

Yes the discs have the original covers and original notes.

Time Out is the same 20 bit version from '97. The extra notes by Brubeck are from November 1996.

Time Further Out has a 1996 copyright date. I don't see the bit rate mentioned, but the added notes by Brubeck are from August 1996. So I'm fairly certain this is the same version that predates the box. It has a smaller not-quite-as-bright yellow sticker on it by the way.

Countdown: Time In Outer Space is 24 bit with mastering by Mark Wilder. It includes a short extra paragraph by Brubeck following the original notes where he adds a correction.

Time Changes is 24 bit and mastered by Darcy M. Proper. In addition to the original notes are a couple of paragraphs by Brubeck from 2003.

Time In is 24 bit by Darcy M. Proper. Along with the original notes is a page and a little bit more by Brubeck from 2003.

Recently ordered the this Brubeck box thru BMG since the price was right-under $30 DELIVERED. Should be here in next 10 days or so. :w

Who else has it-and your opinions on Sound quality, Liner notes, etc.

thanks

-Jeff

I got it but am not thrilled by the packaging. I was hoping they would produce it like those Miles sets, but instead it is just a harbound slipcase holding each individual CD, which will probably be reissued separately in identical form (my guess). So there's not much to speak of in terms of liner notes, as each disc has it's own set, and only Time Out has anything beyond a paragraph or two added to the original ones. Good price though

Good sound (though with the usual Columbia/Legacy harshness at the high end, characteristic of their reissues in the past few years), great music, lousy boxed set packaging (as noted, basically a bunch of individual CDs bundled together). Should have received more of a "Miles" type treatment.

Good sound (though with the usual Columbia/Legacy harshness at the high end, characteristic of their reissues in the past few years), great music, lousy boxed set packaging (as noted, basically a bunch of individual CDs bundled together). Should have received more of a "Miles" type treatment.

Then they would've charged more.

I gave my old copy of "Time Out" to my 21 yr old non-jazz loving son-who will not take my recommendations, but will listen to what Lester Bangs says in his books and later ask me for copies of what Lester recommends... :g

You can't listen to jazz that the "old man" likes :excited:

I haven't given up trying yet....

I meant to add earlier that the music is very good on this set-much better than I expected (I hadn't heard any of these titles before other than Time Out, of course). I particularly like Time In. I was expecting a more laid back set of records but they really are better than that. Well worth it