My ongoing Prez binge has led, inevitably led to a mini-Billie binge.

So I dusted off my copy of Billie Holiday by Stuart Nicholson. I bought it years ago and only read a few pages, finding it rather bland.

I'm enjoying it this time 'round, all the info is there, I guess - but I'd love to read a bio that really sings in terms of writing style.

Anyone read Donald Clarke's Billie Holiday: Wishing on the Moon?

Any others?

Donald never wrote any liners for me, but he did do a short essay for the Japanese reissues on Bomba.

Donald's earlier books include the Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music, a Sinatra bio called All or Nothing at All, and the wonderful Rise and Fall of Popular Music. The last named (a spectacular effort) can be read online - do a search on the title and you should find it.

I've been trying to get Jim Sangrey to read it for some time, to no avail.

"I'm looking for it!", he says.

And then, whilst doing some websearch before he commits the faux-pas of assumung that the book is OOP just because he has not been able to find a copy for the last year-plus, he makes a startling dicovery.

"HOLY SHIT!!!!", he silently screams. "THE WHOLE THING IS AVAILABLE FOR ON-LINE READING!!!!"

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/RiseandFall/

I'll be reading it. Guaranteed.

Edited by JSngry

Thanks for the replies.

Donald Clarke's Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music was a mainstay for me for many years. I hardly use it these days - I used to have it in the office but took it home a few weeks back, as I now use AMG online for work purposes, as do other work mates.

The Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music is a rarity in terms of general popular music books - it's very strong on jazz (unlike the Virgin equivalent), and also has entries for music styles, record labels and (I think) magazines and so on.

Well worth picking up if you see a copy!

Chuck, thanks for the online tip for The Rise and Fall of Popular Music.

Personally, I don't find Stuart Nicholson's interesting. I had so much love and respect for Lady Day, but this book serves little facts to newcomers (as well as experienced listeners) in Billie as an artist.

But, that is my oppinion, maybe, other people like it.

Edited by mmilovan

• 6 years later...

Donald's earlier books include the Penguin Encyclopedia of Popular Music, a Sinatra bio called All or Nothing at All, and the wonderful Rise and Fall of Popular Music. The last named (a spectacular effort) can be read online - do a search on the title and you should find it.

"I'm looking for it!", he says.

And then, whilst doing some websearch before he commits the faux-pas of assumung that the book is OOP just because he has not been able to find a copy for the last year-plus, he makes a startling dicovery.

"HOLY SHIT!!!!", he silently screams. "THE WHOLE THING IS AVAILABLE FOR ON-LINE READING!!!!"

http://www.musicweb.uk.net/RiseandFall/

I'll be reading it. Guaranteed.

Wow, a fossilized thread from early 2003. :cool: I found this by doing a search for "Donald Clarke", as I was curious as to whether "The Rise And Fall Of Popular Music" had already been discussed here on the board (not so much, it appears). I've actually known about the online availability of it for years, but I have to confess I still haven't read the entire thing (up to now, I've been satisfied to use it as a reference and focus on particular chapters/periods). At any rate, I think it's some of the best writing on popular music that I've ever encountered, and the scope and the thoughtful approach to detail (and intelligent analysis) amazes me every time I read from it. It seems like the sort of book that would have inspired lengthy discussions (and arguments) here, especially with the range of ages and tastes that exist here. Anyway, I'm adding another recommendation.

Btw, the link above no longer works, but there is a new one (I'm linking to Mr. Clark's home page, which offers direct links to the books):

Donald Clarke's Music Box

Edited by Jim R

Not only do I find Stuart Nicholson's writing bland, but his books usually contain dozens of obvious errors with dates, misspelled names and even albums attributed to sideman instead of the leaders, among other problems. The one on the resurgence of jazz in the eighties was very sloppy.

Thanks, guys and girls.

My Billie Holiday book has been published in Portuguese (in Brazil), German, Japanese and Korean, and three years ago I sold the Serbian rights. Now I've discovered that it's been published in Belgrade and they've never sent me a dime!

boo hoo sniff