How to ruin a Curtis Fuller song...

Take a pleasant number like "Judyful" (from 'Images of..') that has Fuller, Milt Hinton, Cliff Jarvis & McCoy Tyner lightly swinging away.....and then at exactly 2:59 drop Yusef Lateef through the ceiling tile, blasting away like a honking freight train so that you have to leap from the chair to adjust the volume. :tdown

Yeah, that reminds me of some of those classical cds Telarc has issued where they have the warning label on the cover advising you that they aren't liable for any damage to your stereo system when the cannons in the 1812 Overture go off... This cd should have one of those too.

Just listened to this on the way into work. Man, does Lateef nail that entry or what! The thing is, Curtis sounds like he's playing with a paper bag over his horn on the whole disc. It makes Yusef's tenor sound crystal clear. On "Judyful", not only is Curtis muted, the rhythm section is turned down as well. I wonder if Rudy was having a bad day in the studio?

Kevin

I honestly believe this was intended to make you sit up and take notice, the arrangement was engineered this way, and the engineering was arranged to heighten the effect. Not knowing the original intent, not being at the session, I'm just guessing but that's how it seems to me. It's a great tune and the contrast helps to make it a memorable one, lifts it up a notch.

I honestly believe this was intended to make you sit up and take notice,

Oh, so that's what it was all about? Ya know, every time I listen to Herbie Hancock's lovely predictible playing on 'First Trip' I keep thinking that somewhere along the line Rudy should have had a pack of firecrackers go off in order to jolt the listener right outta his chair. I guess he screwed up alot of these sessions. :rolleyes::g

Jim it definitely feels like Teefski was allowed to do his thing!

I find it interesting how on the original Savoy lp mixes (not necessarily in all the reissues, especially the US ones) RVG (and other engineers in other studios that Cadena and others used) seem to have the horns even more upfront and loud than on say Blue Note and Prestige sessions. This can be quite effective; I really like the way that the Harden-Coltrane dates sound for example.