Tom Evered to post at AAJ

vibes

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ladies and gentlemen, Elvis will be out shortly... B)

Tabloids scream

Elvis seen at a shopping mall

That's the kind of talk

That makes my stomach crawl

Picture a zombie Elvis

In a tacky white jump suit

Just imagine a rotting Elvis

Shopping for fresh fruit

You can't 'cause

Chorus:

Elvis is dead

Elvis is dead

Elvis is dead

Elvis is dead

Elvis is dead

Elvis is dead

Elvis is dead

Elvis is dead

When the king died

He was all alone

I heard that when he died

He was sitting on his throne

Alas poor Elvis

They made us know you well

Now you dwell forever

In the Heartbreak Hotel

Chorus

Elvis was a hero to most

But that's beside the point

A Black man taught him how to sing

And then he was crowned king

The pelvis of Elvis

Too dangerous for the masses

They cleaned him up and sent him to Vegas

Now the masses are his slave

Slave? Slave

Yes, even from the grave

Elvis is dead

[sampled voices]

I've got a reason to believe

We all won't be received at Graceland

Chorus

ubu :g

Hey, guys! Mike from AAJ here.

I’ve been spending some time on the Org board posting replies in the JAZZ IN PRINT forum. I spotted this thread and thought I’d chime in.

I read all the posts (nice to know what some of you really think). Anyway, some of you guys look at AAJ the wrong way. We aint a corporation, and yes, we have a mission statement, but why not? It was developed primarily for the contributors (we have over 500 volunteers, and new people join up every day). That aside, we constantly provide coverage and outlets for indy musicians and smaller labels; just take a look at who and what we’re promoting on the home page. AAJ provides a great service to jazz musicians: the site has helped some land good gigs, some musicians have gotten signed to labels as a result, others have sold CDs, while others have been helped by referral traffic.

I understand the challenges facing a working jazz musician who records and I’m developing systems to address them. To my knowledge, no one else is doing this.

Most people know jazz isn’t a money business and it’s been nearly impossible to generate $ from the site (I haven’t even come close to covering my costs), but I believe in AAJ, I believe in my plan, and I finally have help.

We still have another solid year of development work ahead us, but when the first phase of the system is complete, it’ll do a world of good for jazz musicians and will become a great & useful site for jazz fans.

Re: Tom Evered on the AAJ Bulletin Board.

I invited Tom to the board because a handful of people suggested it. I plan to invite Creed Taylor next (BTW, we’ll be running a 3-part interview with Creed next week).

Getting guests has been a challenge (there’s the technical barrier and the time consideration). I still hope to bring a new guest to the board monthly—we’ll see.

P.S. In case you missed this comment on another thread...

There is a thread at the AAJ bulletin board for Organissimo posters to stay up on the status of the Org server. Jim also has an open invitation to create and close Org status threads at AAJ. We're working together.

Edited by xricci