The Grateful Dead Dark Star

jazzbo

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been listening to some "Good Lovin'"s from 1972. Of course, there's those Pigpen raps which I always enjoy, and some pretty good singing too, relatively speaking.

I like the places they take that song that year! Some nice explorations and it's really nice to have Keith putting down a nice piano foundation.

I've been listening to some "Good Lovin'"s from 1972. Of course, there's those Pigpen raps which I always enjoy, and some pretty good singing too, relatively speaking.

I like the places they take that song that year! Some nice explorations and it's really nice to have Keith putting down a nice piano foundation.

The Good Lovin from 4-14 Copenhagen is one of the best things the band ever did. First, it is the pinnacle of Pig's testifyin' raps--way beyond the usual pony riding into a whole 'nother realm of stream of consciousness. He throws everything he's got into the mix. A huge dose of raw sexuality underscored with a thin line of pathos. But it's Keith who leads here, moving the jam into different places, allowing Ron plenty of new lines to rap over. And then, just as Pig gives that last yell while the band rips away from his rap, bam!--Caution. And then, just as Caution starts to blister under Keith and Jerry's dual engines, bam! again into Who Do You Love, back to Caution, and back to the Good Lovin' reprise. Whew.

This tape first made the rounds in 1973 as a very hissy, sped up soundboard that I used to play over and over. I always thought of it as Pig's grand finale before his death a year later.

And now we have the crispiest of soundboards on the revamped Europe '72.

One of the best, indeed. All the rest of those Good Lovin's seem like rehersals in comparison.

BTW, Dwork does an excellent transcription of Pig's rap in Vol. 1 of the Taper's Compendium.

Alright! Something to look forward to when I get to that year in the Compendium!

Be sure to play it while you read it. On many of the G.L's from Europe 72, the thematics are very similar, just as the dollah and a quarter story was worked up in Spring of 1971. But, this time out it's all improvised--oh, sure, there's a four day creep, but where he goes with it--his lament about cheating women and outrunning the law and sampling some cherry pie--well, this was the one.

Right, I'll listen to it at the same time, certainly. I listened to part of an audience downlad of that night, and it was a darned good show!

I might add that for you uncircumsized Philistines who do not revere the Pig as a true avatar, the musical portion of the show is brilliant. It features some of the best seat of the pants breakneck jamming since 1970.

What is the speculation regarding Rhino's first project? I learned today that it will definitely not be the '73 Winterland box. I'm hoping for an uncirculated Evening With... from '70 with the early acoustic and late sets. I'm certain they don't make enough on these releases to license and include guest (e.g. NRPS) interludes, too bad.

Also, can anybody recommend a good Phil Lesh and Friends set w/ Derek Trucks? Thanks, Dan

What is the speculation regarding Rhino's first project? I learned today that it will definitely not be the '73 Winterland box. I'm hoping for an uncirculated Evening With... from '70 with the early acoustic and late sets. I'm certain they don't make enough on these releases to license and include guest (e.g. NRPS) interludes, too bad.

Also, can anybody recommend a good Phil Lesh and Friends set w/ Derek Trucks? Thanks, Dan

Just curious: what is your source? I agree; I'd rather have, say, the complete May 15 1970 show or an equivalent.

I might be alone in this . . .but. . . in going through a lot of 1972 shows I'm really becoming fonder and fonder of "Jack Straw." When both Jerry and Bob are working hard on it vocally, and especially when they do the tempo a bit on the slower side, it's quite a song. Love the "B" section.

i like 1977 jack straws.

Yes, they are good too.

They were "fresh" in 1972 though. . . I like everything in 1972 better than everything in 1977 I must admit that bias!

Both styles are righteous. The younger version has such sweet harmonies and a great intro; but the later versions have them power chords before the last verse that punctuate the final "JACK STRAW from Wichitaw." Makes you want to jump up. In short, a great Weir--Hunter tune. Too bad they didn't get along. Probably my favorite Bobby tune--other than "Walk in the Sunshine." :w

David Gans has indicated on a recent blog entry that the Winterland set will not be Rhino's first release. Any wild guesses? Any wishes?

I'd love to see a huge set from Europe 72. Obviously, a lot of it has been released, either in truncated form (the British Box) or shortened from (Hundred Year Hall) or even complete. BUT there are the two Paris concerts, Luxembourg, Copenhagen and others. Since Rhino has so far produced two major boxes--the early stuff on Warner's and the later stuff--it would not be out of the question to see them do something special with the remaining tapes. OR might it be the infamous 8-27 Creamery benefit with the DVD? Or?

Edited by orchiddoctor

www.shnflac.net

looks like a replacement for the archives. Lots of bit torrents and shns of the sbds that were up on etree, especially a lot of 1972-73---including a very clean copy of 8-27-72. Seems someone has been industrious.

You know anything about the new hosts Chalupa?

Damn, just when I thought I'd kicked the downloading habit.

www.shnflac.net

looks like a replacement for the archives. Lots of bit torrents and shns of the sbds that were up on etree, especially a lot of 1972-73---including a very clean copy of 8-27-72. Seems someone has been industrious.

great. thanks for directing my attention again to that site. As if I don't have enough shows already.

I take it you need a password for that site.

www.shnflac.net

great. thanks for directing my attention again to that site. As if I don't have enough shows already.

Just sign up and get your user id.

They are trying to get the thing going by year--working on 1973 now.

www.shnflac.net

muchas gracias.

www.shnflac.net

muchas gracias.

just got back from a three day downloading marathon. That site is SWEET! Plus I've been swimming in grateful dead DVDS lately.

Of course, Like Dimeadozen,

it all depends on what is currently being seeded by various members. If you go back every few days, different shows will suddenly pop up. Just be sure to realize that they probably have an enforced upload to download ratio.

Swiped a few myself. And I swore I was going to behave.

Great thread. I've spent some time here catching up.

I was a Dead fan in the 1970s and saw a lot of shows, mostly at Winterland. My last show was the closing of Winterland. I always lamented the fact that none of the records came close to documenting what they delivered in concert (with the partial exception of Live Dead, which captured them in a different period). I had a few tapes of concerts in poor sound.

I have been exploring the vault and Dick's Picks series during the last month. Wow! What a wealth of riches! My Dead juices have started flowing again.

Yesterday, Dick's Picks 14 (from 1973) just totally kicked my ass, especially the last few discs. Jerry caught absolute fire and played a straight hour of music like a man possessed. Thank God this stuff was preserved in such great sound. Thank you, Deadheads and archivists!

Edited by John L

John, I finally have all the Dick's Picks AND Downloads from the years I'm interested in (from the beginning til when Brent walked in and changed stuff imo). Just an amazing series of recordings. We're so lucky that the Dead were archiving themselves, let alone all the great fan recordings.

Anyone wanting to warm up for the new David Crosby remaster will find a great live version of "Cowboy Movie," "Triad," and five other tunes including a KILLER "Deep Ellem Blue" by David with Jerry, Phil and Mickey here:

http://www.gdlive.com/xtras/Crosby-Garcia-...-Lesh-12.15.70/