McCoy Tyner - Illuminations

EKE BBB

522630.jpg

There´s a new McCoy Tyner CD on Telarc, released on June 22: "Illuminations".

Gary Bartz, Terence Blanchard, Christian McBride and Lewis Nash on board. Not a bad team at all!

Any comments?

PS: sorry if this has been discussed before: the search function doesn´t work now!

I found it rather dull and uninspired. To me Blanchard (playing all the time à la Wynton) doesn't fit at all in McCoy Tyner's music. Gary Bartz isn't at the level he was in the early 70's when they recorded "Extensions" et al. The album is a strange mix of quintet versions of new tunes (some nice) and trio interpretations of ever-greens like 'Come Rain or Come Shine' or 'If I Should Lose You', which I don't find the most interesting to listen.

It is cooking. Soulstice is a burning cut. The only trouble I had with the disc is the drum sound. Blanchard uncorks some hot, passionate playing on the latin number -- his Bounce tour and now this are good signs for a trumpeter who seemed more worried about being perfect than letting fly. I'm not a fan of his but have been more open to his playing here and on the Blue Note disc. Gary Bartz is 'Trane on alto, more or less, and fits the setting perfectly. And McCoy -- much rather hear this than his Burt Bacherach record (pee-u-ski). McCoy and Reggie Workman are the last ones from Trane's great modal period.

Edited by Lazaro Vega

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up the SACD of this and just finished listening to it all the way through for the first time. I have to echo Lazaro's comments about the drum sound. I don't know if it's the disc or my system, but the drums sound like they're not in the same room as the other instruments. Other than that, I like this disc a lot. It's nice to hear McCoy playing in a few different styles (check out "New Orleans Stomp") and with some other musicians. He does a fine job of comping and letting the other musicians share the spotlight and overall, the results are very nice. I'll definitely be spending more time with this one in the next few days.

At first glance at the O-Forum home page, I thought this album was a tribute to Elvin Jones' 1963 Impulse LP, 'Illumination!'. Elvin and Jimmy Garrison were co-leaders in a sextet "featuring McCoy Tyner", and including the horns of Sonny Simmons, Prince Lasha, and Charles Davis. And so, to avoid confusion with the Real Deal, perhaps McCoy should've titled this new one: 'Coasting On the Wind'.

Guest youmustbe

What's the point of releasing this crap?

Bartz can't play anymore. He's gotten old, happens to the best, even me, but I don't play a reed instrument. He does. He sucked with Charles Tolliver Big Band the last 3 gigs in NY. No sound, couldn't even read the charts. In one gig he mistakenly read the tenor's chart!!!

There really should be a mandatory retirement age for Jazz musicians.

As for McCoy, he's been on auto pilot, 'Where's my check?' for the past 10 years or more.

Bartz can't play anymore.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I've seen him several times in the past year with various groups, and his soloing has been first rate. He's especially good when on the front line with another great player...seems to inspire him.

perhaps "can't play anymore" is a bit of an exaggeration. however, i've seen bartz play in three different settings over the past year (sphere, eric reed's dolphy tribute band, and the tolliver big band), and i was sadly disappointed with his loss of chops. it happens to the best.

There really should be a mandatory retirement age for Jazz musicians.

As for McCoy, he's been on auto pilot, 'Where's my check?' for the past 10 years or more.

I don't know, Hank Jones, Von Freeman, George Shearing, Dave Brubeck, Roy Haynes, Sonny Rollins all seem to be recording fine work today, and they're all older than Gary Bartz.

I know what you mean about McCoy, but I think his last album Land of Giants, with Bobby Hutcherson, Charnette Moffett and Eric Harland is excellent. The live Coltrane tribute record is good too.

This new one has its moments (Blessings - by Ternece), but it's not one of his best.