Classic Records Inc

1ngram

I have about 80 Classic Records titles.

They are a no brainer as long as you buy from a dealer that takes

defective copies back(1-15 were defective).

In packaging, they have no equal.

All analogue.

Neil Young, Ry Cooder, Shaded Dogs, along with the BN's re-issues are the best

out there.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 80 Classic Records titles.

They are a no brainer as long as you buy from a dealer that takes

defective copies back(1-15 were defective).

In packaging, they have no equal.

All analogue.

Neil Young, Ry Cooder, Shaded Dogs, along with the BN's re-issues are the best

out there.

I am with you, except about Neil Young and their Who reissues. I found the original pressings sound better, at least through my gears. Though I couldn't find any original Atlantic pressing of CSNY better sounding then Classics, except Crosby's solo album.

BTW if you find early UK pressings of Tommy and Who's Next you'll understand what I mean.

Edited by porcy62

I apologize if someone posted this already, but I read through these threads and didn't seen any comments about the age and condition of the master tapes that Classic and other labels are using for their pressings.

My understanding is that analog tape, even when properly cared for start to degrade after 40 years. If you do the math, those Bluenote albums that people are churning out are at that point in their lives. So, of course and original pressing is going to sound better. If you are lucky and find an inexpensive copy as I have several times in my life, good for you. Otherwise you have to decide, do I want to spend $200.00 on a copy of said album, or get a sealed copy from Classic for $30.00? I would agree, that I would prefer an original pressing almost everytime, especially with Bluenote, but at least Classic is giving some of us a chance to purchase decent copies of an album that is difficult to find or prohibitively expensive to purchase.

Most of my purchases of Classic records have been jazz and classical and they have been very good facsimiles of the real deal. Maybe not as good as originals, but considering the alternatives....

Classic reissues basically are poor compared to originals in all cases I have listened to.

It depends, when I have to pay 2 K for an original Mobley's BN, my ears tend to be very very demanding...at that point in my brain something clicks and I start to believe that 29.99 $ Classic is better sounding... :g

I think is it called 'psychoacoustical reaction'.

Edited by porcy62