Classic Records Inc

1ngram

sidewinder,

I am not aware that Classic reissued True Blue, Classic did reissue Back to the Tracks and Blue Note reissued True Blue in 1994. Also Toshiba has just reissued a digitally remastered RVG on vinyl. I sprang for the Toshiba before I knew it was digital. "A fool and his money..."

I have all 3 and the Mosaic set - I rate the sound of the reissues as follows:

1. the Classic

2. the Mosaic

3. the 1994 Blue Note

4. the Toshiba

It goes without saying that the music is superlative !!!!

Edited by charlesp

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sidewinder,

I am not aware that Classic reissued True Blue, Classic did reissue Back to the Tracks and Blue Note reissued True Blue in 1994. Also Toshiba has just reissued a digitally remastered RVG on vinyl. I sprang for the Toshiba before I knew it was digital. "A fool and his money..."

1. the Classic

2. the Mosaic

3. the 1994 Blue Note

4. the Toshiba

I think Classic did do True Blue. I had it in my wish list at Acoustic Sounds until it sold about 2 months ago. I remember putting off buying it because I had the Mosaic and the 94 Blue Note. As always, I could be wrong.

Edited by wolff

sidewinder,

1. the Classic

2. the Mosaic

3. the 1994 Blue Note

4. the Toshiba

Thanks, charlesp - I was under the mistaken impression that Classic had done a 200g 'True Blue' and that it had sold out. I'm pretty happy though with my King GXK of this one, which is certainly better than the Mosaic vinyl. A fantastic session !

Edited by sidewinder

Sidewinder,

True Blue is a fantastic session.

Classic has stated that they intend to release True Blue as part of their 200-gram MONO series, but I do not think that they have gotten to it . See this link Classic MONO

Based on your recommendation, I will be picking up the Classic reissue of Dizzy Reece's Star Bright - thanks.

Edited by charlesp

This is not a jazz comparison, but I like to know if my opinion could worths as well for BN originals/reissues Lp, that I didn't own.

I have a UK first pressing of Led Zeppelin II and the Classic reissue.

I noted a "philosophical difference" between the Lp, the Classic leans toward definition, I can hear the hand of Jimmy Page sliding on the guitar, but it lacks the punch of the original. I am not saying it lacks dinamic, but...

Do you have the same impressions with BN?

charlesp - Thanks for this. I strongly recommend the 'Star Bright' and will certainly pick up the 'True Blue' when it comes out as I don't have the spare £1000 or so hanging around that is required to secure an original.. :wacko:

porcy62 - the one area of 'Star Bright' that differs from original 47W63rd pressings I own is that element of 'punch' in the sound. It's certainly there on the Classic but is not so pronounced as on originals I have heard of the likes of 'The Sermon', 'Byrd In Flight' etc. The Classic seems almost better mannered, in fact..

Edited by sidewinder

porcy62 - the one area of 'Star Bright' that differs from original 47W63rd pressings I own is that element of 'punch' in the sound. It's certainly there on the Classic but is not so pronounced as on originals I have heard of the likes of 'The Sermon', 'Byrd In Flight' etc. The Classic seems almost better mannered, in fact..

Thanks.

I am thinking it could depends of the playback system they have at the time, that probably lacked "dinamic", or "punch" compared to today's system, so the mastering engineers "pushed up the volume".

• 2 weeks later...

I received the trueblue Fall 2004 Catalog yesterday that offers a tantalizing glimpse of upcomming Vinyl reissues from Classic -

From Columbia -

Duke Ellington - Piano In The Background

Duke Ellington - Piano In The Foreground

From United Artists -

Duke/Mingus/Max - Money Jungle

From the Blue Note Mono series -

Tina Brooks - True Blue

Jackie McLean - Swing,Swang,Swingin'

Hank Mobley - Hank BN 1560

Horace Parlan - Us 3

Horace Parlan - Speakin' My Piece

Sonny Red - Out Of The Blue ( file under Kyner?)

The trueblue list synchs-up with the original Classic Mono list. I do think that the "Available October/November 2004" notation is probably overly optimistic.

• 2 years later...

Up.

I am quite curious to find out about your views on Classic records reissues. I have managed to buy a few King reissues lately (Up at Minton's 1 and 2 :tup , Sunny Side up) but they are quite difficult to find. Any records to avoid at all cost, any strong recommendations. Thanks.

Edited by ASNL77

Up.

I am quite curious to find out about your views on Classic records reissues. I have managed to buy a few King reissues lately (Up at Minton's 1 and 2 :tup , Sunny Side up) but they are quite difficult to find. Any records to avoid at all cost, any strong recommendations. Thanks.

Well, they are pretty contraversial over at the vinyl asylum, but I have six of them and love them all. I have received nothing but flat and (mostly) quiet pressings. Mind you, I am not the kind of guy that's going to return a record if there is one tick on one cut, but there are those that would. Life is too short, besides, if you want perfection, go get a CD. In any event, strongly recommended, though I wish that they weren't so friggin expensive, though certainly cheaper than an original. I'd buy them all if I could. . . :tup

Up.

Well, they are pretty contraversial over at the vinyl asylum, but I have six of them and love them all. I have received nothing but flat and (mostly) quiet pressings. Mind you, I am not the kind of guy that's going to return a record if there is one tick on one cut, but there are those that would. Life is too short, besides, if you want perfection, go get a CD. In any event, strongly recommended, though I wish that they weren't so friggin expensive, though certainly cheaper than an original. I'd buy them all if I could. . . :tup

My tought exactly.

I have a few Classic Records releases and I think they are great. Heavy vinyl (not sure how that affects the sound, but it sure feels like it's important), great packaging on thick cardboard with those rice paper sleeves for the records, and at least on the ones I have, excellent sound. They are expensive, which is why I only have a few, but I do like what I have seen and heard so far from them.

besides, if you want perfection, go get a CD.

I will disagree with this!

I still remember when the CD technology was introduced and hailed as perfection brought to music reproduction. I have since watched numerous steps brought to that 'perfection' and am still waiting for the next ones ;)

I think that with the recent vinyl revival, many hifi nuts (i.e. people who are willing to pay over $25 for a reissue of music that is also available much cheaper) listen to both vinyl and CD (or SACD), and as far as reissues go, they are looking for the best sounding version, which mainly depends on the quality of the tape transfer/remastering and not so much on the format.

Given the poor remastering of many Blue Note CD reissues, the Classic Records LPs are an interesting alternative also for those who are not generally preferring vinyl, if they have a good vinyl playback setup.

besides, if you want perfection, go get a CD.

I will disagree with this!

I still remember when the CD technology was introduced and hailed as perfection brought to music reproduction. I have since watched numerous steps brought to that 'perfection' and am still waiting for the next ones ;)

I was being sarcastic. Actually, my comment was directed towards those who can't live with surface noise. If you take care of your records, look for good pressings and clean them properly, I find that it can be a mostly noise-free endeavor.

...as I'm not a vinyl obsessive (yet)

Don't underestimate the Force.

darth.jpg

Minding the power of the force, any comments regarding Classics

Kenny Dorham -Afro Cuban

Bennie Green- Back on the scene

I don't know these sessions at all. Are these good enough to justify the £££.