Mosaic Madness

Agreed Wesbed, except for the postage costs. My situation is even worse though. The last 2 Mosaic orders 3 months back contained 4 box sets each and I've not even opened a single one of them. This never happened when I ordered only 1 or 2 sets at a time. ;):wacko:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can afford it, there's nothing wrong with buying multiple sets and then waiting to open them up. I do this all the time. I sat on the Mulligan CJB set for at least 6 months before opening it, and I've only listened to 1.5 discs from the Lee/Christy set in the more than one year that I've had it. Eventually, you'll get to it, right? Delusion is a wonderful thing. :winky:

Edited by vibes

May I take this opportunity to introduce my new Mosaic reviewing service. ^_^

Free introductory offer.

Send me all unopened Mosaic sets and I will personally review each cd and booklet and ensure that they looked used in order to ease any guilt at overstocking.

We pride ourselves on our ability to :

Tear booklets

Dent Boxes

Crack Cd case

Put Grease marks on CDs!

File music in other boxsets

Write on Discographies with remarks such as 'poor remastering' or Morgan plays first!!'

Finally within the foreseeable future the boxes may be returned to you in order for you to take pride in your premier worn in sets that will be the envy of others. No more will you need to feel nervous when the new Mosaic catalogue.

This will be done at full postal cost only and is only open for Mosaic box sets owners or other Jazz boxsets that are similar condition.

Please note that for our first 100 customers we will take shipments directly from Mosaic in order to save on shipping and lose the orginal boxes and receipts and replace with 'bought from EBay for $10' invoices to fool nosey spouses who may question your senses at supporting this great art form as well posting in a very old and shabby jiffy bag from the UK to fool the post collector! All at no extra cost!

Please send all unopened sets to

Andy Bleaden

Home for retired Gentle Folks

61 Platt.... :rolleyes:

Edited by andybleaden

The last 2 Mosaic orders 3 months back contained 4 box sets each and I've not even opened a single one of them.

This makes for a total of EIGHT unopened Mosaics from three months ago? :o

Yes and make that 11 or 12, all from this year - which is why I've stopped ordering, at least until a good part of next year (I hope), when I should have had the chance to listen to the music and read the booklets. :rhappy:

I've heard that stacking them horizontally isn't good. Someone mentioned that here. Mine are all vertical. I think it's the same principle with lps. You want them veritical. Which remnds me of a funny line. In New York there used to be a trendy gym (I think it's still around although I'm not sure it's trendy anymore) called the Vertical Club. People would say that you go to the Vertical Club to get horizontal. :g

With reference to our Free Mosaic service please note that we always store your mosaic boxes (untidily also) under the table in my shed next to the lawn mower to guarentee the right levels of humidity to ensure small growths of mould or other 'matter'.

There will be an additional charge if you want them left on the top of the shed table for full sun lightening effect ( due to the inclement weather and removal of cider barrels)

:D

I actually am impressed that so many of you buy Mosaics "sight unseen" and come upon new areas of the Jazz spectrum, as I said earlier  an expensive way to test the waters.

In Britain we have several jazz features which run on Radio 3 (the classical music wing of the public broadcasting sytem). It means that over time you can sample quite a lot of music for free. How many people outside UK can use radio to get into things? Does everyone rely on buying things in order to hear them at all?

Edited by David Ayers

• 4 weeks later...

Gack, I'd forgotten this thread...and here last week I finally put out all the cardboard shipping containers and bubble wrap pads from my sets to be recycled. (I finally figured out that I'm never going to sell them, so why keep 'em?). So, those of you who still have yours will be delighted to know that there is one less set out there to compete with! ;)

Gack, I'd forgotten this thread...and here last week I finally put out all the cardboard shipping containers and bubble wrap pads from my sets to be recycled. (I finally figured out that I'm never going to sell them, so why keep 'em?). So, those of you who still have yours will be delighted to know that there is one less set out there to compete with! ;)

I find these are very useful to have, since I've been moving a lot lately (graduated from college, sent stuff home, moved out). The original packing material made me stress a lot less about taking things on airplanes.

The last 2 Mosaic orders 3 months back contained 4 box sets each and I've not even opened a single one of them.

Surprised to see this thread re surface...

Just a point on unopened Mosaics. It seems lately their QC hasn't been as good as usual. I ordered a Select Paul Chambers for a friend, and the booklets were incorrect.. two for disc #2, missing disc booklet #3

Worse though, My Jackie McClean set.. I had single BN discs of this and it was a while before I realised that the mosaic had been sent with two discs #2.. Disc #3 was missing. By the time I contacted Mosaic, it was too late to get a replacement.

A funny one from years ago was the Monk Black Lion.. the music was distinctly not Monk.. it turned out that the disc manufacturer had put Mosaic labels on some Erroll Garners ( I think they were Old Savoy recordings.. very bad sound). This had not happened to the whole Monk batch, just part of it.. Obviously Mosaic put it right.. but had I not checked the discs I might have been stuck up in Erroll's room....

Most of the serious errors like the recent Farmer / Golson set get caught and taken care of, but individual packaging errors like above can be overlooked if you don't inspect your sets.

I would recommend checking your sets on reciept for errors such as these.

Edited by P.D.

Surprised to see this thread re surface...

Just a point on unopened Mosaics. It seems lately their QC hasn't been as good as usual. I ordered a Select Paul Chambers for a friend, and the booklets were incorrect.. two for disc #2, missing disc booklet #3

Worse though, My Jackie McClean set.. I had single BN discs of this and it was a while before I realised that the mosaic had been sent with two discs #2.. Disc #3 was missing. By the time I contacted Mosaic, it was too late to get a replacement.

A funny one from years ago was the Monk Black Lion.. the music was distinctly not Monk.. it turned out that the disc manufacturer had put Mosaic labels on some Erroll Garners ( I think they were Old Savoy recordings.. very bad sound). This had not happened to the whole Monk batch, just part of it.. Obviously Mosaic put it right.. but had I not checked the discs I might have been stuck up in Erroll's room....

Most of the serious errors like the recent Farmer / Golson set get caught and taken care of, but individual packaging errors like above can be overlooked if you don't inspect your sets.

I would recommend checking your sets on reciept for errors such as these.

:unsure:

Thanks for the warnings PDEE. Looks like I gotta take some time off to check those sets. The only issue I've had so far is with the labelling misprint on disc 5 of the Herman Capitol but a replacement disc was already inserted in the box.