Is it worth it?

Came across Wes Mongtomery, "Complete Riverside" box set (12cds) in a local store for only $70.

There is no booklet however...

The other issue to me is whether it's worthwhile to buy these box sets when these cds will be remastered as K-2s.

What do you guys think? Also, is there anyway that I can get the booklet?

Thanks.

A good set at a good price, although I know that you are not a big fan of box sets. I would give Fantasy, Inc. a call -- I don't remember whether I found their number on their web site or whether I used DexOnline and searched for them in L.A. They came through for me with a couple of booklets in the past.

My feelings are somewhat mixed. I've come to realize that I generally prefer single CD's (assuming that the music content available is equal), and yes, I think you would do better sound-wise to go for some of the modern remasterings.

However, we're talking about WES!! This is fantastic music, essential if you ask me, and $70 is highway robbery. If you don't have much of this material already, I would urge you to grab it (soon). If you already have a substantial amount on CD or vinyl, then you've got a dilemma.

Edited by Jim R

Thanks for the advice everyone.

It's clear that the price is good. I should have mentioned that I've got 10 or 11 Wes Montgomery recordings on OJC, so little of it will be new for me. Yes, I do prefer single cds as Abution mentions.

Thanks Mark for offering to copy your booklet for me. I think I'll try and call Fantasy Inc, as Abution suggests. Anyone know the call letters to their website?

I'm not sure if I'll buy this box set. Again, I've already got most of the music.

Any other comments?

I should have mentioned that I've got 10 or 11 Wes Montgomery recordings on OJC, so little of it will be new for me. Yes, I do prefer single cds as Abution mentions.

fantasy has issued nine original cds by wes on cd, four of which have been reissued in k2 form. the rest of the cds in the catalog are compilations of alternate or unissued tracks that are available in the box set. unless you're hankering for these unissued tracks, i'd pass on the box.

from Fantasy's website:

"Developed by JVC, the 20-Bit K2 Super Coding System integrates three important digital audio functions:

1. The JVC 20-Bit, 128 times over-sampling high resolution analog to digital converter.

2. The JVC K2 Super Coding resolves the high resolution 20-Bit signal to the 16-Bit compact disc format while retaining the integrity of the low level information.

3. The JVC K2 Interface effectively eliminates time base jitter in the digital data stream.

The end result is a compact disc of extraordinarily higher resolution than that of today's conventional compact discs. The 20-Bit K2 Super Coding System allows the listener to hear every subtle sonic nuance from the breathing of the musicians to the explosive crack of the snare drum. Enjoy!"