www.music.com

http://www.music.com/

Sometimes I type in random url's just to see if anyone owns them, what's there, etc. Yeah, I know. Get a life. I had a slow desk job a couple years ago and we would try to find the most outrageous sites. I no longer have the slow desk job, but we do have a wireless connection for the laptop at the house... I'm watching Extreme Makeover on TV, watching an eBay auction, and searching for the next great music website.

Tonight, I was thinking about the whole allmusic.com disaster and thought now would be a great time for someone to offer an alternative site in the great American competitive spirit. What is the most logical url? www.music.com.

Could this be just a domain reservation page? The domain is owned by a marketing company that seems to have nothing to do with music. Very often famous generic domains were just being registered for speculation, especially during the dot.com boom. Think about the "sex.com" story.

Check these newsgroup messages (and their date!):

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=www.musi...%40frank&rnum=2

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=www.musi...%40nntp1&rnum=1

Edited by Claude

• 3 months later...

Okay, I'm just wondering: why do y'all think this might be so great? It seems potentially functional, in a barebones kind of way, with the understanding that there are lots of holes to fill. "Hard work to be done," as W. might say. So why the excitement?

Especially since some (?) of their entries are taken directly from allmusicguide? For example, check the bio/intro text for Grateful Dead on both sites. Or the review of Miles Davis's Kind of Blue. Or the Milt Jackson entry. Exactly the same as allmusicguide's.

Edited by gdogus

AMG sells their database to various other music sites as well as, iirc, various music retailers and distributors. In fact, their on-line presense is supposedly for them something of an afterthought - it's not their "primary" purpose.

But, if they're using allmusic's database, is music.com really an alternative the the allmusic "disaster," as .:.impossible calls it? What's alternative about it?

What was this "disaster" exactly? AMG has a different look and GUI but seems the same to me...

:blink:

Not exactly-for one thing, you have to register to access some aspects of the data base.

They also originally optimized the new site for viewing only with IE, ignoring the millions of users who use a different browser. Initially, even with IE, the site had no functionality for me, though I guess that subsequent tweaks took care of that.