Herb Ellis

I just picked up his Three Guitars in Bossa Nova Time on LP. What a smooth album. According to the liner notes he also recorded another album for Epic ("The Midnight Roll") as well as the set he recorded with Stuff Smith which was issued a few years back on a Koch/Jazz CD (Herb Ellis & Stuff Smith - "Together!"). It would be great to have these recordings and any others Ellis recorded for Epic under one roof - perhaps as a Mosaic Select.

That album with Stuff Smith is a nice one - the whole band swings their butts off, especially bassist Al McKibbon, who obviously had a great time playing that date. Lou Levy, Shelly Manne, Bob Evelvoldsen - all playing exceptionally well and swinging here.

This was on a French CBS CD a few years ago. I doubt there is enough material for a 3-CD Select, just two I think.

If they were to combine it with the verves.. " Ellis in Wonderland "" Nothin" But the Blues " .. " Charlie Christian." " Jimmy Guiffre" " Softly But With Feeling" they could have a nice big box.

Granted quite a bit is ( has been ) out on CD, but collecting it together Mosaic style.. might be a worthy project

• 3 weeks later...