Let's compile a jazz-cd buying guide...

Here are the places I know:

Toledo, OH: nothing! ;)

Ann Arbor, MI: Encore on Liberty Street is excellent. Wazoo is also good on State Street.

Dearborn, MI: Dearborn Music is great! Not as great selection as in Ann Arbor, but there's always something great there. Location is on Michigan Ave. There is apparently another store in Canton, but I've never been there.

Ypsilanti, MI: nothing!

Bowling Green, OH: Finder's has some selection. It's located in Main Street, downtown.

I'll do Philadelphia:

Philadelphia Record Exchange. Has a huge selection of vinyl, and you get lucky with the occasional hard to find BN, Impulse, Prestige, etc. side. They rarely have first pressings, though, and their prices are all over the board. Picked up a NY, USA pressing of Blue Train in great shape there for $5.99; the next week they were trying to sell a fair liberty pressing of Sidewinder for $75.00. Go figure. Their CD selection (jazz) is spotty; the occasional OOP gem will turn up, and will never be more than $9.99, but you have to look. They have an excellent used Classical CD selection with lots of interesting stuff, and used copies of the planks in the platform of the repertoire.

618 S 5TH St

Philadelphia, PA 19147

Phone: (215) 925-7892

Open daily, 12pm-8pm

Cue Records. This is a place for the drum and bass and DJ heads. But surprisingly, they have an excellent selection of used wax in the soul and jazz categories. I've found some excellent hard to find vinyl here. There's one section for each of the above-mentioned categories, and there's crossover between the two and misalphabetization (Lee Morgan filed under "L" in Soul), so you've got to go through everything if you're a serious crate digger. They also have new vinyl reissues in the above categories sprinkled throughout the store; I'm sure they have, for example, unopened wax copies of Soul On Top, recently discussed here. CD section isn't worth looking at unless you're into dub, trance, electronica, etc.

617 S 4TH St

Philadelphia, PA 19147-1545

Phone: (215) 413-3525

Open Mon-Thu 12pm-9pm, Fri-Sat 12pm-10pm and Sun 12pm- 7pm

Here are the places I know:

Toledo, OH: nothing!  ;)

Ann Arbor, MI: Encore on Liberty Street is excellent.  Wazoo is also good on State Street.

If we include new CDs (no used), then you can add Schoolkids Records, in the basement of Bivouac on State Street, beside the Wazoo. Great prices on new CDs, box sets, vinyl, etc. Usually hard to find titles are there, plus the occasional bootleg. Also, another used CD/record shop is PJs, above the Subway on Packard/State

Edited by GregK

Well, if someone is ambitious, why not take that list as a starting point and flesh it out with websites, email, phone numbers. Then it can be put on the web and maintained. It would be a great resource.

I'll tell you right now that in NJ, Crazy Rhythms and Cheap Thrills are gone.

Princeton Record Exchange has LP/SRBU and CD/SRBU - they just took $300 off me. http://www.prex.com/

In Rochester, NY, The Bop Shop is http://www.bopshop.com/

Mike

Eugene Oregon. If you can't make it to Portland...

Cat's Meow - 121 E. Broadway. The only store that specializes in jazz. You can order from them online as well. When in person you'll have to readjust yourself as everything is filed right-to-left.

House of Records - 258 E 13th. A quirky little place that has the best atmosphere of any in town. Most of the stock is rock & indie, but they have a respectable jazz section and do the best of anyplace in town of stocking John Zorn's catalogue. They also have new & used vinyl. It's always fun to browse around and hear what they're playing, as you'll hear music from the 30's followed by the music of tomorrow.

CD World - W 11th & Seneca Road. The best (only?) place in town to buy an RVG or Conn on the release date. If you move here get one of their frequent buyer cards (each stamp on a full-priced disc equal $1.40 off as filling a card get's you a disc worth $16.95 or that much off a double disc or box set.) They stock a few jazz titles on DVD too.

Museum of Unfine Art & Record Store - 532 Willamette. A curious little shop. If price isn't a concern there's an odd assortment of avant-garde titles. LPs available too. Who knows how long it will last as it's been a cursed location for business. Although as it really doesn't seem to be one, maybe they'll be all right. :)

CD Game Exchange - 30 E 11th. A very small jazz section, but as they once had a used copy of the Kid Ory Mosaic it has to be mentioned. A large selection of used DVDs.

Borders - 5 Oakway Center (off Coburg Road.) Only if you've printed out a coupon from the thread on Organissimo! ;)

Face The Music - 886 E 13th. Only worth mentioning as Zoot Horn Rolo once worked here years ago in the heart of campus town. Jazz selection is very very small, though as there is a used rack one never knows. Unless you're trying to get lucky in the used rack, you're better off walking 6 or 7 blocks to House of Records.

Edited by Quincy

Nice post, Quincy. I'm sure I've bumped into you (unknowingly) at one of those stores. That right-to-left thing at Cat's always gets me turned around. Do you remember their space back in '83-'88? That teeny nook holds good memories.

House of Records will always be my favorite, though. I've found some fine stuff there over the years, er, decades. (They also have the best buy-back prices!) Their used section never fails to yield the intermittent gem, too. Plus, Greg, whose been there almost from the start, is one of the nicest guys to do business with. He can talk (without BS-ing) about nearly any music.

I know what you mean about CD World and release dates. Last year, one of their sales coincided with the Connoisseur batch. Woo-hoo!