3 discs on hold

marcoliv

yesterday before a meeting with a client, i went to my favorite 2nd hand store and there were 3 titles that i put on hold knowing basically nothing about them and i was kinda late for the appointment.

i would like then some opinions from you guys

John Lewis feat Hank Jones - Piano Playhouse (TDK Records - 10 USD)

Charlie Barnet Big Band 1967 (MFSL - 7 USD)

Rosemary Clooney and Duke Ellington - Blue Rose (MFSL - 10.50 USD)

many thanks in advance

Marcus

Here's AMG on the Jones/Lewis:

John Lewis and Hank Jones recorded a handful of duo piano albums during their careers and this 1979 studio session marks their final meeting, although the cover photo gives the impression that it is a concert. Issued as a direct-to-disc LP by Toshiba-EMI in Japan, the program is dominated by Lewis' originals, with bassist George Duvivier and drummer Shelly Manne added on four of the six tracks. Lewis and Jones are heard as a duo in the elegant "P.O.V." and a relaxed interpretation of "All the Things You Are." Each pianist also has a solo feature with the rhythm section; Jones offers an easygoing take of "Oh, Look at Me Now," while Lewis includes his playful "Sacha's March." Perhaps the most unusual track is Lewis' "Marchin'," which he composed as a part of his score for a Broadway musical about Mahalia Jackson and also served as the theme song to the duo's series of concerts in Japan during their 1979 tour. Since this limited-edition LP was only issued in Japan, it will not be particularly easy to acquire.

~ Ken Dryden, All Music Guide

Based on the one of their duo albums I have ("Evening with two Grand Pianos"), I'd easily pick it, as I admire Lewis and love Jones... they make a great team!

ubu

Edited by king ubu