Chris Foreman (organist) in Grand Rapids!

Randy just informed me that the now notorious (on this board) Chris Foreman will be appearing in Grand Rapids this coming Monday.

"Jazz @ The Zoo" series, John Ball Park Zoo, GR, and the music starts @ 6:30pm...

Amazingly, there is no mention of this on the zoo's website. This is all I can find on the web:

All That Jazz

Time: 6:30pm - 8:30pm

Jazz musical artist will delight the whole family every Monday night thru August 30th during these free, outdoor performances at the John Ball Zoo.

Call: (616)336-4300

They use my favorite phrase. All that jazz. :rolleyes:

Randy just informed me that the now notorious (on this board) Chris Foreman will be appearing in Grand Rapids this coming Monday.

"Jazz @ The Zoo" series, John Ball Park Zoo, GR, and the music starts @ 6:30pm...

Amazingly, there is no mention of this on the zoo's website. This is all I can find on the web:

All That Jazz

Time: 6:30pm - 8:30pm

Jazz musical artist will delight the whole family every Monday night thru August 30th during these free, outdoor performances at the John Ball Zoo.

Call: (616)336-4300

They use my favorite phrase. All that jazz. :rolleyes:

I think the West Mich Jazz Society has a website. There would be more info there...

Did I miss something? How is this guy notorious on this board?

In the thread about the Chicago Jazz Festival, I mentioned I had never heard of him and Chuck related that he is a great player. In the same thread I think jazzypaul, who lives in Chicago, said that he smokes everyone, not only in Chicago but the country.

Obviously with a statement like that, I gotta go see the guy! :)

Did I miss something?  How is this guy notorious on this board?

In the thread about the Chicago Jazz Festival, I mentioned I had never heard of him and Chuck related that he is a great player. In the same thread I think jazzypaul, who lives in Chicago, said that he smokes everyone, not only in Chicago but the country.

Obviously with a statement like that, I gotta go see the guy! :)

I am done with drum lessons @ 6pm.. I will then go straight to John Ball Park..

This would be an excellent opportunity for Allison to pack a picnic basket unless you want to hit a restaurant after the concert which ends @ 8:30pm..

Alison will be coming straight from work and jumping in my car so we can make the show. I may be able to put something together. We'll play it by ear.

It'll be BIG FUN! ... We just have to try and ignore Bickley's tasteless "Kenny G-esque / too many unneccesary notes" approach to playing.. :blink:

The drummer & guitar player I have heard before and they are BAD ASS.... :tup

Randy will have to answer the question. I couldn't go. Big storms rolled through Michigan that day and made me think it was going to be cancelled. But they moved faster than I thought and the show went on. Grand Rapids is an hour away from me and I was just tired from a full day of baby keeping. :)

Randy told me the guy is a monster, though.

Thanks Jim we will await Randy's report.

The band was Chris Bickley on sax & flute, Henry Johnson on guitar, Greg Rockingham on drums, and Mr. Chris Foreman on the Hammond B3. Foreman plays regularly around Chicago with the drummer & guitar player, so they were very together as a musical unit and everything they played grooved . In fact the interplay was quite impressive and they were all very dynamic and obviously listening carefully to each other.

Chris Foreman is truly a master on the organ. He soulfully swings with energy, style and effortlessly, and he had a really great bass sound. Foreman is blind and somewhere between 55 & 65 in age and I understand he has been playing the B3 for a long time.. I especially loved the way he would build his solos, always telling a story and gaining momentum on each chorus, making you want more and more, so by the last chorus he'd be groovin' hard. He had the audience on their feet several times after solos!

The drummer & guitar are also outstanding musicians. The sax player who normally overplays with tasteless abandon even sounded good that night! He had met the trio on a business trip to Chicago last January at Andy's and hired them to come up to Grand Rapids, MI to play the Jazz Zoo hit with him..

It was a great show and an inspiration. 3 thumbs up for this show! :tup:tup:tup By the way, I understand this trio has a steady Tuesday night @ The Green Mill in Chicago for anyone interested..

Edited by randissimo

Yep, they bill themselves as the Deep Blue Organ Trio. The occasional Tuesday night when I can convince myself to do the Blue Line/Red Line/Red Line/Blue Line/70 Bus thing to get up there and back, I go, and it is always awesome. Chris Foreman, in the vernacular of today's youth, is the poop.