The Out-Of-Towners

Alfred

I might go for WHISPER NOT.  A good one?  AMG gives it 4.5 stars, couldn't access the review, for whatever reason.

I really like this one. As a bonus, I think BMG has it -- you might be able to get it for cheap. The version of "What Is This Thing Called Love?" is awesome. And now that Chris mentins it, so is "Chelsea Bridge" -- the only thing that's missing is Ben Webster. :)

Guy

Edited by Guy Berger

Please do yourself a favour and buy the 2 cd set Tribute. It's magnificent from start to finish but it has the most incredible intro for All the Things you are I've ever heard (and believe me I've heard and played a lot of them....). This intro by Jarrett alone is so thrilling and over the top I get goosebumps every time I hear it (Just as the first track of the Personal Mountains cd but that's a whole different matter). Subjective ...yes but I have ALL the trio recordings (and all the other too for that matter) so I believe I can speak for this.

Pryan, my personal fave of the Jarrett trio discs is THE CURE. Not sure why exactly, it just has that little extra oomph. "Bemsha Swing" is reinvented on this one, by the way - if you're in a Monk mood you'll dig it. Jarrett puts in some fascinating displacements of the rhythm that make it sound like an updating of some long-lost stride masterpiece at the beginning. It's hard for me to listen to this tune played (ha ha) "straight" (meaning as Monk originally intended) without hearing this Jarrett trio version in the back of my head now.

For anyone looking to make his first entry into the world of the Jarrett trio I'd point to the DVD releases. At around $20, they're not much more than the price of a CD and are longer anyway. I have Open Theater East 1993 (121 min.) and Standards II (100 min.). There's also Concert 1996 (102 min.). I have Standards I on VHS (as well as the two Jarrett solo concerts which are also on DVD), but I don't think Standards I has made the transition to DVD yet for some reason.

Mike