Brazilian Music

marcoliv

ok, we have a thread about bossa nova and hard bossa but brazilian music is so rich and diverse that i feel we can go beyond the bossa nova atmosphere.

Almir Chediak's label Lumiar, specialized in Songbooks, is announcing on their website 2 new releases:

.Emilio Santiago encontra João Donato

.João Bosco - Songbook (3cds)

João Donato is well known for his work but Emilio is one of the greatest singers that we have on the last 20 years. it's a very enjoyable disc!

João Bosco is one of my favorites on brazilian music. this guy plays acoustic guitar like no one else and has some of the finest compositions of the last 30 years on the MPB scene. the regular songbook treatment of Lumiar with special guests on each song. i´m gonna pick my copy on Saturday!!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marcus, nice idea for a thread!

I took advantage of a reduced price at Dusty Groove and ordered the second box set of Nara Leao's Universal recordings. Quite a variety of musical and production styles are represented across the fourteen discs, but many of them are quite enjoyable. I like Nara's voice and it is more polished and pleasant here on these later recordings, in my opinion. A good cross-section of brazilan styles from the seventies through the eighties. . . .

it would be great to have a record company from brazil reissue the three moacir santos blue note recordings:

maestro

saudade

carnival of the spirits

just like water has leased a number of blue note recordings, maybe a brazilian company could do the same. anyone with any suggestions, e-mail addresses? i don't think blue note would release these anytime soon.

i was sure you would love it Lon.

Mike, don't expect any brazilian label to do that. i was told last week that each title in Brazil is manufactured on groups of 1000 units for the whole country. this explains why titles goes OOP so fast here without prior notice.

in 2002 all 11 albums from Paulinho da Viola were issued duly remastered. there are 2 that i´m still looking for and they gone OOP on the same year.

Marcus

I first noticed Emilio Santiago on that "Bossa Nova 2000: 20 Anos sem Vinicius" TV show, and he impressed me quite a bit. I had heard about the recent collaberation with Donato, but I don't know much about it yet. I forget- did they do mostly Donato's songs?

I'm glad to see Lumiar is still in operation after the tragic demise of Chediak. I was told that there was going to be a reissue program for their Songbook CD series (at least some of them...?). Even if they never put out another new recording, they must be one of the great Brazilian labels of all time!

Biscoito Fino is also doing a fine job here. they released the OST for the movie about Paulinho da Viola. a gem!!

some originals from Donato, the classic song of Gil "A Paz", one from Arnaldo Antunes and "Sambolero" which is co-written with Carmen Costa.

back in 1985 Globo TV Network produced 9 memorable concerts that were aired on the last friday of each month from March till November/85

the "Chico & Caetano" show was hosted by Caetano Veloso and Chico Buarque and there were important guests on each episode.

N.1: Chico, Caetano, Rita Lee, Luiz Caldas, Maria Bethânia & Astor Piazzolla

N.2: Chico, Caetano, Tom Jobim & A Nova Banda

N.3: Chico, Caetano, Paralamas do Sucesso, Paulinho da Viola & Jorge Ben

N.4: Chico, Caetano, Beth Carvalho, Elza Soares, Cazuza & Willie Colon

N.5: Chico, Caetano, Paulo Ricardo, Marçal & Tim Maia

N.6: Chico, Caetano, Djavan, Marina & João Bosco

N.7: Chico, Caetano, Elba Ramalho, Baden Powell & Elizeth Cardoso

N.8: Chico, Caetano, Gal Costa, Milton Nascimento & Mercedes Sosa

N.9: Chico, Caetano, Legião Urbana & Gilberto Gil

hopefully one day Globo TV will release them on a DVD boxset

the single compilation from the entire series is inprint once again and it´s known as "Chico & Caetano Ao Vivo"

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

I wanted to mention a few websites here... not sure if I've posted about them before.

One of them is quite interesting to me, because of my past interest in jazz guitar, and some connections I had made. Many years ago, I was given a cassette tape of a 1980's LP called RESONANCE by a Canadian guitarist named Reg Schwager. The album was wonderful, and Reg was (and is) obviously a very gifted musician. He has worked and recorded with some of the biggest names in jazz, and in a variety of styles. At some point I found his website, and his e-mail contact, and wrote to thank him for all the great music. We corresponded briefly, and he mentioned that he (like I) was getting seriously interested in Brazilian music. Around that same time, Reg was posting on the Brazilian Jazz (or was it "Brazilian Music"?) thread at the Jazz Corner website. We also had had the veteran writer Jose Domingos Raffaelli, guitarist Joe Carter, and keyboardist Cliff Korman, among others participating on the thread. The thread declined in activity, I lost interest in Jazz Corner, and I lost contact with Reg (I think he went off to Brazil), and then one day I realized that there was this incredibly big and insightful Brazilian music blog on the web, which looked like it might have been organized by Reg:

Brasilian Music Treasure Hunt

It's searchable, thank goodness!

I also found this page, which gives some background (this is the translated version):

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...3D%26ie%3DUTF-8

One person who was influential on Reg in terms of locating information on the internet is Daniella Thompson, who participated on some of the same Brazilian newsgroups such as rec.music.brazilian and Saudades do Brasil (I was never too keen on newsgroups, so I rarely logged on to those). She also has an amazing website, for those who are interested in digging deep into the music and its history:

Daniella Thompson On Brazil

There is so much information at these sites and elsewhere... there isn't enough time to read it all!

Unfortunately, automatically-translated webpages do have their drawbacks. :rolleyes: "Pink singer steps" refers to singer Rosa Passos (a big influence on Reg, apparently, as well as me!). Anyway, there's always the option to click on the "view original webpage" link at the top...

Bosco is one of my favorites too. I just saw him last night in NY at the Blue Note, and last month I saw him in Montreal with Gonzalo Rubalcaba--they did a 2-1/2 hour show without an intermission (solos & Bosco's group with Gonzalo added).

I also picked up my tickets to see Rosa Passos in a couple of weeks. It'll be my first time seeing her live.

At the end of this month there is a free concert at Lincoln Center with Oscar Castro-Neves & Carol Saboya. Every year they do a Brazil night. Last year tey featured Miucha.

Marcus, the Chico & Caetano disc you mention is different from the early '70s concert album they did together?

Santiago is a great singer, but his arrangements are often too saccharine lately.

yes Pete it is, the other one is Chico & Caetano Juntos e Ao Vivo.

i have almost of the whole performances, exception to the last program, on CD transferred from the videotapes i did when they "re-runned" the show on 1986. the tunes released on the disc are there too. i did it for a great friend of mine who lives in Canada and she is crazy about brazilian music.

the material included on the CD is:

1 Festa imodesta

(Caetano Veloso)

Interpretação: Caetano Veloso / Chico Buarque

2 Billy Jean

(Michael Jackson)

Interpretação: Caetano Veloso

3 Roberto corta essa

(Jorge Ben)

Interpretação: Jorge Ben Jor

4 Adíos nonino

(Piazzola)

Interpretação: Astor Piazzola

5 Tiro de misericórdia

(Aldir Blanc - João Bosco)

Interpretação: Elza Soares

6 Não quero saber mais dela

(Almir Guinéto - Sombrinha)

Interpretação: Beth Carvalho / Caetano Veloso / Chico Buarque / Fundo de Quintal

7 London, London

(Caetano Veloso)

Interpretação: Caetano Veloso / Paulo Ricardo

8 Águas de março

(Tom Jobim)

Interpretação: Caetano Veloso / Chico Buarque / Tom Jobim

9 Sentimental

(Chico Buarque)

10 Luz negra

(Irahy Barros - Nelson Cavaquinho)

Interpretação: Cazuza

11 Merda

(Caetano Veloso)

Interpretação: Caetano Veloso / Chico Buarque / Luiz Caldas / Rita Lee

a must have IMHO

Marcus

one of the key things about brazilian music are the lyrics. to not understand them takes away a lot of their strength. how did you guys handle this?

one of my desert island discs is from Miltinho - "Miltinho Convida". he is an unique singer on brazilian music and i´m passionated by his work since i was a kid.

listening to this gem today made me thought about hearing this music not understanding all the poetry included. it is a pity!!!

by the way, this album includes some of his hits revisited on a duo perfomances with a lot of guests such as stated on the cover

this disc is so hard to find nowadays unfortunately

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

• 2 weeks later...

Renato Perez - Samba Toff

5050466156020.JPG

released and remastered by Warner, i got this one today and it seems to be very rare. never heard previously about him and the cover itself got my attention. on the liner notes there isn't any additional information on the players but Renato plays baritone sax. some well known songs such as Mas Que Nada & Insensatez and some others from Orlanndivo & Oscar Castro-Neves.

a very enjoyable disc of bossa nova :tup

Marcus

Latest piece in Village Voice:

Reconstituting the legacy of a major Brazilian composer

His Favorite Things

by Larry Blumenfeld

August 12th, 2004 6:20 PM

Moacir Santos

Ouro Negro

Adventure Music

oacir Santos's story is as dramatic as his music. Born into the rural poverty of Brazil's northeast in the 1920s, Santos was taken in by a family that afforded him music lessons. But fleeing abuse at their hands and dreaming of broader horizons, he ran away at 14. Santos played saxophone in marching bands and ballroom orchestras, eventually settling in Rio de Janeiro. There, he encountered Brazil's bossa nova revolution and studied with European composers. By the late 1950s, he was composing for Radio Nacional.

Although Santos is a towering figure of large-ensemble jazz, he is virtually unknown in the United States. You'd be hard-pressed to find a copy of his definitive 1965 album, Coisas, or three lovely but lesser recordings he made for Blue Note shortly after moving to California in 1967. The new two-CD Ouro Negrosaves us from a fruitless search while demonstrating the music's staying power. It gathers leading Brazilian jazz players for a mostly faithful re-creation ofCoisas, along with tunes from the Blue Note dates.

Santos, now 77, was unable to play. But his voice is these compositions, his instrument the shifting ensembles of seven to 14 musicians. "Coisas" means simply "things," with these pieces numbered one through 10. Yet they're no trifles; they're fully formed compositions blending Brazilian rhythms with jazz harmonies to explore memorable themes.

Disc one begins with "Coisa #5," which marries African and martial rhythms in support of a melody so appealing it's been covered on some 100 Brazilian recordings. As elsewhere, Santos assigns urgent, percussive riffs to trombone and baritone sax and sets melody and countermelody in woodwinds and brass, often floating flute or trumpet improvisations above it all. Yet there's no formula. "Coisa #6" bears the harder edge and bright horn work of Cuban music; "#1" mines the two-beat at samba's core. The Blue Note material bears further charms—specifically "Jequi‚" whose unexpected resolutions evoke the enigmatic beauty of Wayne Shorter's writing. When Milton Nascimento—one of several guest vocalists—sings on "#8," slight suspensions of rhythm evoke his own work, and occasionally the addition of electric guitar or bass alters the balance. But these subtle alterations don't diminish the music's power or focus.

The history and majesty of large-ensemble jazz spans not just genres but continents. A decade ago, American audiences rediscovered Afro-Cuban composer Chico O'Farrill, whose music is now played at Lincoln Center. Now it's Santos's turn in the spotlight.

I haven't picked up Ouro Negro yet. I guess I've been hoping for a reissue of the original Coisas album. I do have a few of the original tracks from it on a Forma (the original label) 3-CD compilation that was released about five years ago. Also, Santos was part of the band and a few of the "Coisa" tunes were included on Edison Machado's Edison Machado e Samba Novo, which was already released on CD (see the "Hard Bossa" thread).

I saw that the release of the original 'Coisas' album will soon appear from Dubas and DGA shows it as September.

:tup Thanks for reporting that. I was beginning to think we'd never see it.

Is there another name for "Coisa #2"? I don't see it listed on the Forma set, and they list alternate titles for Coisa #5 ("Nana") and #8 ("Senzala"). #1 is the only other one in the set, I think...

Jim R, I'm just looking at this comp here but it only states that title. It is from that '65 Forma disco.

4:54 and beginning with a very calming guitar, vibe and piano intro that turns into a sort of modal waltz, with some room for a bit of outstanding vibraphone work, then turning it's head "Into The Hot" B-) of an almost Gil Evans-ish piece.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

ok Vint, you are right!

it has been released 2 weeks ago here in Brazil

099727.jpg

originally issued by Forma in 1965 and now released and remastered by Universal, the first album of Moacir Santos is finally available on CD. i got this one yesterday and it's a must have IMHO :tup

on the liner notes Mario Adnet & Zé Nogueira wishes that Blue Note & Discovery to release his others albums "Maestro", "Saudades", "Carnival of Spirits" & "Opus 3 N.1"

Marcus

Joe, 2 additional tracks are available on the dvd-audio disc: Fotografia (Alternate Version) & Bonita (previously unissued).

Elis wasn't very happy with her singing in English so that's why Bonita didn't make it on the original edition

the vynil should be released on november

Marcus

Joe, 2 additional tracks are available on the dvd-audio disc: Fotografia (Alternate Version) & Bonita (previously unissued).

Elis wasn't very happy with her singing in English so that's why Bonita didn't make it on the original edition

the vynil should be released on november

Marcus

Thanks Marcus.

Joe C.