Brazilian Music

marcoliv

i got the Elis & Tom today. the remastering job is superb on the cd and on the dvd-video portion. i can't say anything about the dvd-audio side since i don't have a player.

the bonus tracks are very good so an upgrade is recommended

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have become very interested in Elis Regina. . . it hit me listening to her a week or so ago that there are few singers from any land that has that supple and expressive a talent. . . ! Got this one from Dusty this week and it's a very nice collection of non lp tracks. . . in great remastering. . . ."Twenty years of Saudade". . . .

regina_elis_20anosdes_101b.jpg

Maybe one of the experts here can help me. . . there is one drummer that plays on a few of her lps that I think of as "the Philly Joe Jones of Brazil." He has that same sort of "feel" and touch and swing. . . . Anyone have a guess as to his(her?)name?

Might that be Edison Machado, Lon? I've seen, from just some very recent surfing inspired by Jim R and Marcoliv, that he thought of himself as maybe more of a Blakey - ... hmmm - but from what I hear he's nowhere near Art. Philly Joe might be a better analogy. I'm sure the others will set this right.

BTW I saw that Elis was up for a Latin Grammy last nite but lost out to Maria Rita ? Never heard of her, but did see that XuXi or whatever her name is was there. :wub: She kind of the Jacko' of Bahia?

Maria Rita. . . is Elis's daughter! Don't know why Elis would be up for a grammy. . . she's been gone a few decades. . . wasn't aware of any special reissue etc. of hers this year.

Maria%20Rita%2002.JPG

Elis%20e%20Maria%20Rita.jpg

Thanks for that name. This guy I hear doesn't sound like Bu, but more like Philly (I've always been more a Philly than Bu guy!)

Edited by jazzbo

i was highly addicted to Elis back in 1980-1981.

my favorite albums are:

O fino da bossa vols 1-3 (this comes from the popular TV that she & Jair Rodrigues hosted back in the 60's)

Em pleno verao

Essa mulher

Falso brilhante

Fino do fino (Elis & Zimbo Trio)

Saudade do Brasil

in 1999 a huge boxset containing 21 albums was released

she was known as Pimentinha and that means "little pepper" literally

i think her daughter is just OK but it was a huge success here last year

Marcus

:mellow: I killed the thread.

Nah, if that weird Dr. Rat post (now deleted) didn't kill it, you're not going to kill it. B-)

Not into phychedelia myself, but there must be some Gil fans around here...

It wasn't me!

I forgot to delete the cookies on one of the common-use terminals at the station and some wise-ass who wasn't me posted that now-deleted post regarding social lubricants.

My own brand of wise-ass is distinct and inimitable.

--eric

Quarteto Sambacana - Muito Pra Frente

i got this one 2 weeks ago and it's very interesting

4 singers harmonizing with original songs written by Marcos de Castro who also did the arrangements for the disc. recorded in 1965 the solo vocalist is Milton Nascimento. i would never guessed that it was him singing!!!!

the band have guests such as JT Meirelles playing flute & alto, Geraldo Vespar (acoustic guitar) among others

there also some strings on the disc so it's a blended mixture of bossa/jazz/samba with voices and strings

Marcus

with lots of time to listen to some music i spent the whole day listening to brazilian soul/funk.

i don't remember this genre to be covered here so i think it would be nice to put some lines and indications about it

first of all it' s one of my favorite musical styles blending the american funk with our culture and our groove

some fine recommendations:

f_cover_175.gif

f_cover_175.gif

kinda hard to find but Copa 7 was one of the finest bands in the 70's and their hit "Mulher Absoluta" is a killer!!

Banda Black Rio is one of the masters of brazilian soul/jazz/funk. they only have 3 albums but they are milestones in Brazil: Maria Fumaça, Saci Perere & Gafieira Universal

Tim Maia was the first to develop the brazilian soul/funk. he recorded several albums during his career and was one of the most powerful voices that i ever heard in my life. Tim was a master performing live with his band "Vitoria Regia" and most of the finest studio musicians were discovered by him

Cassiano is also very important with a classic recording in 1975 "Cu Ban Soul 18 Kilates"

other names are Gerson King Combo, Uniao Black, Tony Tornado, Lady Zu, Dom Mita, Dom Salvador

of course Jorge Ben fits into this category and the next generation who keeps the flame alive is composed by Ed Motta, Claudio Zoli, Fernanda Abreu, Wilson Simoninha, Skowa & Sandra de Sá

Marcus

• 8 months later...

I seem to have a number of his discs that I don't like (I do like Africa Brasil as well), but Live in Rio is a great live performance.

Anybody with any ideas about where to go with Jorge Ben after "Africa Brasil"?  That's one of my favorite discs, but I've been a little confused about how to branch out from there.