Jack Teagarden: Wow

nmorin

I finally got the two volumes of Louis Armstrong's Classics Jazz CDs from 1947--mostly in-concert material with Teagarden and Bigard. I just have to say the Jack Teagarden has just been knocking me out. I just about fell out of my chair on "Stars Fell on Alabama" from Boston concert--both Tea's vocal and trombone phrasing was...just... perfect! Was he often this ON, or is this some all-time peak set of material from Teagarden?

I am a tremendous fan of Jack Teagarden's and I find that he is far more often that on than otherwise. . . . I tremendously recommend that you explore his work if you have been knocked out here!

I have nearly everything I've been able to find. There is a new three cd set on Avid that looks like a fantastic way to get all the early highlights; I've got all this material on separate cds so I haven't bought the set but I've been tempted to I love Jackson so much! Also the Mosaic set of Roulette material is a wonderful wonderful set. And the recent Verve reissue of Mis'ry and the Blues is a great late Teagarden example.

I just got "100 Years from Today" (the recording from Monterey in '63) because of recommendations on this board. Another good reason for being here. And since I'm sure that the story Big T tells is true, do he and Glenn Miller ever get credited for writing the lyrics to Basin Street Blues?

Edited by medjuck

I was absolutely stunned when I heard Teagarden the first time, too!

That was when I found that Verve Elite disc, a year ago, I guess.

Haven't followed up yet with more, but I know I won't miss that Mosaic!

Here's the VEE:

bigtq.jpg

Get it if you see it! He's got so much to give, so much warmth, and so much genuinely honest musicality!

ubu

Bentsy, I totally disagree with you on that. Big T could definitely sing. I LOVE his singing as much as I love his playing. In fact, his singing and playing styles are very similar to my ears, with the slurring and the behind the beat southern-confort "laziness" and easy going.

Edited by White Lightning

Bentsy, I totally disaggree with you. Big T could definitely sing. I LOVE his singing as much as I love his playing. In fact, his singing and playing style are very similar to my ears, with the slurring and the behind the beat southern-confort "laziness" and easy going.

Check "A Cottage for Sale" on the "Think Well of Me" album! Wow, that gives me goosebumps everytime! I LOOOOOOVE it!

Those songs by Willard Robinson are really something else, too!

ubu

Check "A Cottage for Sale" on the "Think Well of Me" album! Wow, that gives me goosebumps everytime! I LOOOOOOVE it!

Those songs by Willard Robinson are really something else, too!

ubu

I totaLLY agree with you Ubu :tup:tup

"A Cottage for Sale" is the highlight of "Think Well of Me". This version by Big T still gets me everytime I hear it !

Bentsy, I totally disagree with you on that. Big T could definitely sing.

Of course he could sing. The problem is not him, it's me.

I don’t like many players' singing: Also Chet Baker, Kenny Dorham, Clark Terry and even Louis Armstrong. All of them are much better as trumpet players and I prefer their playing over their singing.

Correction:

Armstrong can be deleted from this list. He's a better singer then the rest of the players I mentioned. But I still prefer his playing.

Edited by B. Goren.

I don't see it as a matter of "either or" - do you prefer a musician's singing or playing. I think that all those musicians you've mentioned reveal a somewhat different artistic facet in their singing, that allows us to appreciate their musicianship in a more comprehensive way.

Big T's singing is as much Big T as his music. I have to choose between his playing and singing.

BTW, Big T thought so as well - remember "I gotta right to sing the blues" cards he placed on patrons' tables in places where he was not allowed to sing due to certain restrictions

Was he often this ON, or is this some all-time peak set of material from Teagarden?

No, this was not just a flash in the pan. Jack was one of the real giants of the trombone (and of the whole of jazz), and was superb throughout his career. One of those special guys that added greatly to any session in which he participated. You can buy any of his recordings with complete confidence. I am always glad to see his name listed in the personnel.

Of course, Jack was very highly regarded by his fellow musicians. Happily, he was also very popular with the public, and in an era when there was no sharp dividing line between jazz and popular music.

Teagarden was a giant, both as a vocalist and player. One of my favorite musicians.

My understanding is his technique on trombone was pretty unique and ingenious, but not being a trombonist I'm not sure exactly what it entailed, would be nice to have someone in the know illuminate us!

I always laugh at the story that I heard that illustrates this ingenuity of his. It goes that early on in his career he heard raves about a trombonist that was using a waterglass to make great sound and music, and he marveled at how that could be, because he was under the impression that rather than using a bell of the trombone the musician was somehow using a waterglass in its place. So he experiemented and managed to produce a very unique sound and technique replacing the bell of the trombone with a waterglass that is marvelous to see and hear! Then he either saw the musician in question or was informed that the man was using a waterglass. . . as a mute!

• 2 weeks later...

I actually haven't heard much Avid, as my earilest experiences about a decade ago with cds from Andy Kirk and a few others weren't knocking my socks off sound wise: too cleaned up and warmed up for my then tastes and system. But I'll take your word for it and if I feel really flush I'll definitely consider grabbing this set because I can't get enough of that early Tea and it looks like a nice collection (I believe I have all the material on this though on other discs).